Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-31-2024, 05:36 PM   #1
antyslope

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Vert
2016 SS Cooling problems

Hey yall, so Ive been having the famous thermostat/sensor problems with my cooling system in my 2016 SS.

I got the car a year ago, as soon as I got it, it also had the same typical problems, thermostat sticking open, causing the temp to be pegged at bottom, turning off rev match, fans running on high and No AC.

I ended up getting the Thermostat and Temp sensor replaced at Firestone back in May/June of last year and all was good until January this year.

Coolant temp gauge acts a lil different this time, on the highways, it shows lower temps (around 190°) rather than the regular 11 o’clock position it’s supposed to be staying at. After driving for a bit on the highway, it would eventually just show me “Active rev match off” message and the gauge would just fall down to 160° and stay there, with fans running high and no AC.

It would stay unless I disconnect and reconnect my battery.

The only other temporary work around that I’ve noticed is letting my car warm up, then shutting the car off and turning it back on again. This would prevent the whole sensor dropping to zero ordeal, but the temps still drop on the highway instead of staying stable.

Obviously I don’t want to have to start my car twice every time. It’ll wear out my starter and battery way quicker, so I’m going to replace my Thermostat housing myself this time.

Any recommendations on which ones are good? I’ve only seen the one available at Autozone from Duralast, but not sure if the quality there

Thanks
antyslope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:36 AM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think you just need the thermostat, not the whole housing. I think the firestone shop may have replaced your thermostat with a lower temp unit, or a less reliable one. We need to dig up the old thread with discussion of exactly which temp and brand of thermostat to buy. There were reports of problems with "off" brands.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...54&postcount=6
That thread shows the right temp, which is 90 deg C or 194 deg F.
Hopefully someone chimes in with the correct brand.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:05 AM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Maybe check the temperature sensor cable to make sure it isn’t loose or damaged?
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #4
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
My '17 is at the dealership as we speak for the same issue. From what I gather from my regular mechanic (he's not doing the work b/c he doesn't accept the 3rd party warranty I bought with the car), is that Dexcool is a suspect in these GM thermostat issues, with it's wanting to gum up the thermostat. I asked if there was a way to prevent it from happening, and he said that only by power-flushing the cooling system, then replacing the Dexcool with a "normal" coolant is the only thing he would suggest as a 'fix.'
Old 04-05-2024, 03:37 PM   #5
antyslope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I think you just need the thermostat, not the whole housing. I think the firestone shop may have replaced your thermostat with a lower temp unit, or a less reliable one. We need to dig up the old thread with discussion of exactly which temp and brand of thermostat to buy. There were reports of problems with "off" brands.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...54&postcount=6
That thread shows the right temp, which is 90 deg C or 194 deg F.
Hopefully someone chimes in with the correct brand.
Yeah, I am just trying to figure out a good brand that’ll at least last longer than a year.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:38 PM   #6
antyslope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
My '17 is at the dealership as we speak for the same issue. From what I gather from my regular mechanic (he's not doing the work b/c he doesn't accept the 3rd party warranty I bought with the car), is that Dexcool is a suspect in these GM thermostat issues, with it's wanting to gum up the thermostat. I asked if there was a way to prevent it from happening, and he said that only by power-flushing the cooling system, then replacing the Dexcool with a "normal" coolant is the only thing he would suggest as a 'fix.'
Interesting, it does make sense as to why it’s such a recurrent and common problem. Are you going to change your coolant?
Old 04-05-2024, 04:05 PM   #7
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
I dealt with this same problem for around a year. I just would pull over and disconnect the battery, hook it right back up, and all was well. It didn't happen constantly, but enough where I finally fixed it.

I had the thermostat changed because it was sticking open, and I've not had any problems since.

It sounds like maybe lightening struck twice and it needs another thermostat. Though it could also be the sensor. Good luck with it. It can be a PITA, especially if you live in a hot state like mine in Texas and it happens in rush hour traffic on the way to work in over 100 degree weather.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 04:57 PM   #8
antyslope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas1ss View Post
I dealt with this same problem for around a year. I just would pull over and disconnect the battery, hook it right back up, and all was well. It didn't happen constantly, but enough where I finally fixed it.

I had the thermostat changed because it was sticking open, and I've not had any problems since.

It sounds like maybe lightening struck twice and it needs another thermostat. Though it could also be the sensor. Good luck with it. It can be a PITA, especially if you live in a hot state like mine in Texas and it happens in rush hour traffic on the way to work in over 100 degree weather.
Ohhhh yeah, same here in Florida. PITA indeed. What brand did you replace your thermostat with?
Old 04-08-2024, 05:17 PM   #9
beowulf556

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Had the same problem with my Tahoe. Replacing the thermostat didn't do anything for us. There was a leak in the AC condenser and after we replaced that the problem went away.
2020 Mercedes A35 AMG (Daily)
beowulf556 is offline   Reply With Quote