The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
the players asked for the same 50/50 as last time. not more. and the owners walked out. owners could have at least pondered it. they didn't even counter or anything.
Playing the game.

Sending the massage.

Who knows.

I would detract if I were the owners. Give them 45%.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #30
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I don't think all the blame can be laid against the owners or the players. I blame the agents. If you haven't seen the crap drew rosenhaus (sp) has been spewing on twitter, its no wonder the players are up in arms. Look at what one of the biggest agents is spewing to his clients.

With the rookie draft pay scale, the agents loose money, the players loose money, but the franchises are protected from the Ryan Leaf's and JaMarcus Russell's out there. There are just some teams that can't draft and linger around the bottom every year. At the current rate of increase, the top pick would bring in over $100M no matter how bad they sucked at the next level.

I say let them strike/lockout. There are thousands of guys coming out of college that for whatever reason are over shadowed that could get a shot at the next level. I would much rather see someone hungry for playing time, vs someone hungry for party time.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #31
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
both sides in talks using a Fed mediator

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...cd1bc2688dc200
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #32
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
both sides in talks using a Fed mediator

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...cd1bc2688dc200

Adam Schefter tweeted this "Don't mean to be wet blanket, but here's what someone in know said about Fed Mediator stepping in to help NFL/NFLPA: "Likely won't help."
Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #33
PQ
Booooosted.

The mediator thing is funny.

Anything agreed on is NOT binding. So what's the point.

I guess it's so talks can be made but keep them from pissing each other off?

Like two people sitting at the same table looking at someone in the middle and clearly and audibly saying "Tell him I want the Barry Manilow records".

"Tell her, I paid for them, I get them"

"Tell him I earned them by birthing his kids"

"Tell her I don't care"

Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #34
PoorMansCamaro

The point is so that the owners don't look like complete douchebags. lol
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
The point is so that the owners don't look like complete douchebags. lol
Maybe.

It's just a shame when we have stooped so low as to vilanize the successful.

The owners OWN. The players PLAY.

When you own something, there is a reason you own it.

Ownership in this country is a bad thing. BAD owner BAD........ How dare you be so successful. Know what? You are too successful. You make too much money. Who the hell do you think you are? You must give some of your wealth away. How much money is enough? Give me half your money and if you EVER try this shit again, you'll be sorry.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #36
PoorMansCamaro

well, after doing some more reading, I've come to my own conclusion that the owners are asking for way too much. Wait, they aren't asking for anything. They haven't negotiated, talked about, counter offered, nothing. this is the problem i'm having with the owners. What exactly are they trying to accomplish here?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #37
PoorMansCamaro

I also read that Upshaw was able to get the owners to give up close to 60% of the total revenue to the players salaries in the 2006 cba.

edit: actually, here's a link that says players currently get about 61%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12505402
Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #38
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
well, after doing some more reading, I've come to my own conclusion that the owners are asking for way too much. Wait, they aren't asking for anything. They haven't negotiated, talked about, counter offered, nothing. this is the problem i'm having with the owners. What exactly are they trying to accomplish here?
Send a message that they are tired of being owned.

Sounds funny I know, but they are taking back control. Trying to anyway.

Ultimately they will lose. They don't want to just have shit stolen from them right out in front of the world. Ther are just doing their best to But they will lose. What would you have them do? Seriously. They are seen as villains because they are rich.

Don't get me wrong. I won't lose any sleep with worry that they will starve.

But I am a business owner and though I'll never come within a 1% of the kind of wealth these guys have, I hate to think if I ever did that someone could just publicly steal it from me and there was nothing I can do.

Look at the owners activity (or lack there of) as ceremony. I'm beggining to care less and less already.

Again, I don't give a damn what the previous CBA said. IMO, they got more than their fair share back then. They should get whatever the owners pay them and not a dime more. If the owners want to put a shitty product on the feild, so be it. It's their business decision. But there are enough players to scab TWO leagues.

The union and their leaders should be jailed.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #39
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I also read that Upshaw was able to get the owners to give up close to 60% of the total revenue to the players salaries in the 2006 cba.

edit: actually, here's a link that says players currently get about 61%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12505402
Don't surprize me.

If I were all of a sudden in charge of the NFL and all teams, I'd announce immediately that I am dropping ALL rosters and having a draft of scabs.

ALL players are welcome to joinf the draft. You have two weeks to declare. The veteran draft will comence two weeks before the rookie draft.

Anyone not declared in time is ineligible this season.

All the players who stay with the union can go F*** themselves.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #40
PoorMansCamaro

All i'm saying is, why aren't the owners TRYING to negotiate? why haven't they thrown a number out there? the players currently get 61% of the revenue. They asked for a 50/50 split. Doesn't seem like that bad of a starting point. So why wouldn't the owners throw their number out there? Tell the union they will pay 40%? SOMETHING? Not just walk out.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #41
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
All i'm saying is, why aren't the owners TRYING to negotiate? why haven't they thrown a number out there? the players currently get 61% of the revenue. They asked for a 50/50 split. Doesn't seem like that bad of a starting point. So why wouldn't the owners throw their number out there? Tell the union they will pay 40%? SOMETHING? Not just walk out.
Beats me.

There are obviously things we don't know. Nobody at that proverbial table is stupid.

All I can guess (hope) is the owners are tired of the bullshit. That's all we can do is guess.

I'll pray for a total cut of all salary and a scab draft.

Maybe the owners are bluffing? Maybe they are seriously fed up? Time will tell.

But who do you think could last longer? Players or owners? Who would be bankrupt first if they owner folded up shop?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #42
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Beats me.

There are obviously things we don't know. Nobody at that proverbial table is stupid.

All I can guess (hope) is the owners are tired of the bullshit. That's all we can do is guess.

I'll pray for a total cut of all salary and a scab draft.

Maybe the owners are bluffing? Maybe they are seriously fed up? Time will tell.

But who do you think could last longer? Players or owners? Who would be bankrupt first if they owner folded up shop?
lol, what is the "bullshit" you are talking about? you act as if the owners are bending over and taking it in the rear. Like they aren't still making hundreds of millions of dollars.

maybe I don't know the business side as much as you do. On a large scale business, maybe small business as well, how much revenue does the owner normally give for the salary for their workers? To me, it seems that a business that makes 9 billion dollars a year, using 50% of that for salaries is not that bad of an investment. Maybe i'm wrong.