Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2022, 08:38 AM   #1
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Keeping the warranty and 15K Mile Service Pricing/Qs

I have some questions - looking at the owner's manual, the 15k Mile Service appears to be an inspection and oil+filters change. Asking around dealers (I know, but I've never had a warrantied vehicle, trying to ensure it remains warrantied) the prices vary wildly:

Koons Tyson - $560 - more if wipers are needed
Ted Britt Sterling - $480 - more if wipers are needed
Sport Chevrolet - $300 less if engine air isn't needed, no extra cost for wipers
Rosenthal Chevy - $120-200 depending on oil cost at time, more if wipers needed
Hendrick Chevy Norfolk - $190 no fee for wiper

Can anyone explain the price differentials? If its just an inspection and fluid/filter change $600 sounds like they're pouring 24k gold into my engine. Should I reach out to clarify why thats so much more, is there perhaps something else Koons and Ted Britt might be doing?

Additionally, to keep the warranty do I have to take it to dealer or can I use my local mechanic and just upload docs/proof to my.chevrolet?
Old 03-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
hakank14

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
The differences in pricing is crazy, sheesh! I took my previous Camaro to Jim McKay in Fairfax, two years ago or so, and it was around $150-160 for the 15k mile service. I bought my first Camaro from Koons in Tysons, but I stopped going there because the service rep I was dealing with was a prick. With my first Camaro, I made sure to take it to the dealer for the 7500 mile interval services - but did all the fluid changes myself. This time around with my new Camaro, I may do the 7500 mile interval services myself. Debating on whether or not I should purchase the Service Manual for my car. It costs around $500
hakank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:45 AM   #3
Edward Paul

Drives: LT1
I'm guessing the lower price guys aren't including the price of oil.
That's probably added on in the fine print.
Edward Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
hakank14

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Paul View Post
I'm guessing the lower price guys aren't including the price of oil.
That's probably added on in the fine print.
Now that I think about it, that could very well be the case - as I only got the inspection done whenever I took it in for a 7500 mile interval service. I change the oil myself.
hakank14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakank14 View Post
Now that I think about it, that could very well be the case - as I only got the inspection done whenever I took it in for a 7500 mile interval service. I change the oil myself.
That would make sense if they don't include price of the oil I suppose, hmm. I hadn't thought of that, it seems like something that ought to be in the price...

I just bought the autozone deal, maybe I'll do the fluids on my own, just no driveway only a parking garage lol.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:41 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I have found that dealerships "do what they want" at certain intervals as opposed to following specifically prescribed things from the manufacturers. Those price differences are likely the result of some including oil and some not along with others that are adding in services above and beyond what the actual interval calls for.

The 15k service interval calls for NOTHING different than the 7500 interval except replacing the wipers.The manual states:

Rotate tires and perform Required Services. Check engine oil level and oil life percentage. Change engine oil and filter, if needed. Check engine air filter life percentage and status. Change engine air filter, if needed.

Tire rotation simply doesn't matter. Performance tires basically have no warranty, so who cares?
Everything else is "do what the car is telling you to do in terms of oil change and air filter change.

Assume that you will do the fluid and filters... You can do it yourself for about $150. Or you can pay someone to do it and the costs will vary wildly.

I'm not sure if you asked for pricing on a "15k maintenance visit" or if you explicitly asked for the cost of an oil and filter change and a new engine filter. I would go the route of the latter. And even if I were to opt for the dealership to do the oil and filter, I would not pay their prices for the engine air filter. Keep your receipts and document the dates and mileage when you do the work. That's all you need for warranty.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:44 AM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

As an aside... If you haven't already done it, get the differential fluid changed. I did mine around 1500 miles with my second oil change (all based on the recommendations in the High Performance Supplement) even though I will never track the car.

20 years ago, I did all of my own basic maintenance on my vehicles. Since buying this car, I have returned to doing it all myself as it's fairly easy to do these things on this car and it saves a good chunk of money.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:00 AM   #8
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
As an aside... If you haven't already done it, get the differential fluid changed. I did mine around 1500 miles with my second oil change (all based on the recommendations in the High Performance Supplement) even though I will never track the car.

20 years ago, I did all of my own basic maintenance on my vehicles. Since buying this car, I have returned to doing it all myself as it's fairly easy to do these things on this car and it saves a good chunk of money.

I wanted that done, I guess I should ask the cost of that instead of what I asked. I’m in the dc area where hobby shops and diy is basically finding an abandoned parking garage and doing it in a corner… lol

I was hoping the high cost ones did differential fluid….
Old 03-31-2022, 08:08 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
I wanted that done, I guess I should ask the cost of that instead of what I asked. I’m in the dc area where hobby shops and diy is basically finding an abandoned parking garage and doing it in a corner… lol

I was hoping the high cost ones did differential fluid….
"Hope is not a strategy."

Seriously... don't ask for "15k maintenance costs" because there is no standard. The reason it's all over the place is because the shops do what they want.

The manual calls for NOTHING that is purely mileage-based except to rotate the tires. I'm not bothering rotating the tires on mine because of the offset configuration.

You can buy the oil and filter for $150 or less. The differential fluid costs about $20/quart, so plan on another $40 there since the capacity is a little over a quart. If you buy a hand pump for the diff fluid replacement, add another $20. If you need a drain pan and a funnel, add another $30. $240 plus an hour of your life for the first time underneath.

Subsequent oil/filter changes will be under $150 and 30 minutes of your time.

By the way - if your car doesn't have the engine air filter minder settings, you don't change that until 45k.

Maintaining warranty coverage for your vehicle does not require that you take it to a dealership for the service - only that the service is done on time and with appropriate materials.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:31 AM   #10
Edward Paul

I take a picture of the odometer along with the receipt from fluids, filter etc.
Keep a log and besides the warranty it will increase the value of your vehicle.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:39 AM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Paul View Post
I take a picture of the odometer along with the receipt from fluids, filter etc.
Keep a log and besides the warranty it will increase the value of your vehicle.
This is mostly a fallacy. For very specific vehicles, aimed at very specific buyers, having full maintenance records can make the difference between a sale or not. But it does pretty much nothing for the actual value of the vehicle in any setting (sale, trade-in, insurance total, etc.).
Old 03-31-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
Edward Paul

It all depends on the buyer. Some people like to see the paperwork.
In my case I usually blow them up or sink them first.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
Crushin_LT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
By the way - if your car doesn't have the engine air filter minder settings, you don't change that until 45k.

Maintaining warranty coverage for your vehicle does not require that you take it to a dealership for the service - only that the service is done on time and with appropriate materials.
I have the GM CAI, I think its a cleaning or perhaps replacement at 50k, I will research it.

And this is the info I was looking for, awesome so just make sure I keep receipts for my oil changes, etc. and when I performed them and I'm good to go, right?
Old 03-31-2022, 09:55 AM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
I have the GM CAI, I think its a cleaning or perhaps replacement at 50k, I will research it.

And this is the info I was looking for, awesome so just make sure I keep receipts for my oil changes, etc. and when I performed them and I'm good to go, right?
I use the Fuelly app for my vehicles. It allows me to track every fill-up, miles driven, long-term MPG, and all of my maintenance. I add the maintenance items when I do them as this timestamps the entry along with allowing me to add odometer reading and "notes" (items I used, cost, etc.). I take photos of the receipts for things I purchase in stores and I always have my purchase history for things I buy on Amazon or Walmart.com through my online account.

If you take the car to a dealership for a warranty repair, they -may- come back and ask for maintenance records if it's related to something that could have failed if it weren't maintained (your engine died in 30k miles because you never changed the oil, for example). If they ask, you can pull everything together and provide it.

The odds of you ever needing it are small, but it's also very easy to track and maintain.

Tags
15k, dealer, service, warranty