Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMtothecore View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... Now wait a minute! You're telling me that there's some fuses that I can pull out and replace that makes my car faster?!?!

Why has nobody told me about this before?!?
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
I did the fuse pull, it worked! But still wasn't enough...Maggie fixed is all for me.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUISSD View Post
Honestly, your times the second trip to the track are more in line with what you should be running anyways.
That's kinda the point.

And if you do 150 runs and average a number, and then do 10 runs and beat that number by .8 to 1.0 then I think you can take out the 'variables'. It's pretty easy to find whatever change was made.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #17
Champion51

Drives: '14 ZL1, '10 SS/RS , '06 GMC
Thanks to all you guys that are taking so much of their time to make fellow Camaro owners aware of this problem. Due to my work I do not get to drive my car very much so I have never tried any 0-60 times but after reading about this I pulled the fuses anyway because the car was filled with 87 octane from the dealer and I believe it made a difference, but no numbers to prove it, sorry. Thanks again.
Champion51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #18
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
Good information to know. If it doesn't hurt and you think your car is running a little less HP than it should why not try it and see yourself. I have always ran 91 octane, and seems to run really well for all stock so never really thought about it. I will try it if I accidently ever put a lower grade fuel in it.
cterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #19
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
If you don't beleive it works just run your SS close to empty, put in a 1/4 tank of crap gas and run that gas out. FIll'er up with 93 if your lucky enough to have it available and see if it runs like it used to. (It won't.) Then pull the fuses for a couple of hours, replace them and see if it's back to normal.

Another option is to wait until you pay high $$ for that crap tank of gas and then decide if you want to try a fuse pull or give the dealership a chance to mess your car up.

I just hit 14000 miles yesterday and I've done two fuse pulls. It definitely makes a difference.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #20
ramsman34

Drives: 2011 Summit White, 2SS/RS-LS3
Would the fuse pulls make a difference on a 2011 2SS LS3 M6 in So. California? We only have 91 octane as the max available here in the greater Los Angeles area.
ramsman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #21
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
There was another trick, although I don't know if it was ever tried on a camaro - take off both cables (pos & neg) from the battery, and touch them together for 60 seconds.
Scotty,

I don't think that will clear the ECU. There is a battery backup unit in line to the fuse box in the engine bay. The fuse pull is after that battery.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #22
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsman34 View Post
Would the fuse pulls make a difference on a 2011 2SS LS3 M6 in So. California? We only have 91 octane as the max available here in the greater Los Angeles area.
Guys here is the thing to remember. Most dealers PDQ the car, they come with little gas so they will go down and put 3 or 4 bucks of 87 in. Guess what they just did to test the car, put you in the low octane table. The car will not come back up on its own.

So when that sales man takes you down and you put 91 or 93 for your free tank of gas it does no good since the car does not relearn.

Also you have to remember that sitting gas will lose its octane levels over time. So allways try to go to name brand stations that are busy most of the time. That means the chance of getting stale high octane is rare.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #23
Kulo

Drives: Silver Ice Metallic SS
Not to confuse anyone. This is the service bulletin from GM for people who need hard proof of the #5 and #20 fuse pull.

#PIP4728: Higher Than Expected 0-60 MPH (97 KPH) Acceleration Time - (Nov 4, 2009)
Subject:
Higher Than Expected 0-60 MPH (97 KPH) Acceleration Time

Models:
2010 Chevrolet Camaro

with V8 Active Fuel Management Engine (RPO L99)

and 6 Speed Automatic Transmission (RPO MYC)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain of higher than expected 0-60 MPH (97 KPH) acceleration times when hot ambient temperatures are present. In some cases, they may report 0-60 times around 7 seconds.
This may be the result of the vehicle being filled with regular grade unleaded gasoline at one time. If the vehicle has been filled with regular unleaded gasoline, the ECM may be compensating for the lower octane by retarding the ignition timing during certain driving conditions.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, perform the suggestions below if the customer wants the best performance from their Camaro:
  1. In an area where it is legal to do so, take a snapshot of a 0-60 WOT acceleration event and compare the vehicle speed parameter to the snapshot timer to determine the 0-60 MPH time.
  2. Determine what gasoline octane the customer has been filling the vehicle with.

2a. If they have never used anything but premium unleaded with a posted octane of 93 or higher, go to step 3.

2b. If they occasionally use regular or mid-grade gasoline, the gasoline must be removed from the tank and it must be refilled with premium fuel of 93 octane or greater. This can be done by advising the customer to switch to premium fuel of 93 octane or greater and returning after a few tanks of premium fuel have been consumed. Or, if immediate results are necessary, drain the fuel tank, refill it with premium fuel of 93 octane or greater, and drive the vehicle at least 15 miles to purge the old fuel out of the fuel rail and lines.
  1. Reprogram the ECM with the latest TIS2Web calibrations to reset the ECM adapts. Normally this reset can also be accomplished by pulling the 2 main ECM fuses (F13R and F20U) shown in the ECM Power, Ground, MIL, and Serial Data Schematic (SI Document # 2209065).
  2. In an area where it is legal to do so, take another snapshot of a 0-60 WOT acceleration event and compare it to the original snapshot to determine if the 0-60 MPH time has increased. If an increase is noted, advise the customer that they should only use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 93 or higher to continue getting the best performance from their Camaro. This is outlined on page 8-45 of the owner's manual. GM Connect Message G_0000037144 was also sent out on 9/2/2009 about filling stock units with premium gasoline.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #24
Stormyone

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
If you don't beleive it works just run your SS close to empty, put in a 1/4 tank of crap gas and run that gas out. FIll'er up with 93 if your lucky enough to have it available and see if it runs like it used to. (It won't.) Then pull the fuses for a couple of hours, replace them and see if it's back to normal.

Another option is to wait until you pay high $$ for that crap tank of gas and then decide if you want to try a fuse pull or give the dealership a chance to mess your car up.

I just hit 14000 miles yesterday and I've done two fuse pulls. It definitely makes a difference.
Why did you have to do two fuse pulls? One was not enough? What happened that required you to do a second pull if it worked the first time?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #25
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Will doing a fuse pull affect the tune I have already installed? And if you have a tune is the fuse pull still necassary.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 AM   #26
BlackIce1066
Black Ice

Drives: 2SS/RS Black w/ silver ice stripes
Ok now. I went down to my local parts store and they couldnt find any performance fuses available for my Camaro.

I did a search on line and found some guy down south that is selling them at 49.95 plus shipping. He promises they will do the trick and increase performance by 30% .

I dont understand why he wanted, along with my credit card info, my SSN and mothers maiden name. Hey, if I get Mustang killer performance, woo hoo!!!!!!!

P.S. The fuse pull does work on an M6 and the performance was noticable.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #27
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulo View Post
Not to confuse anyone. This is the service bulletin from GM for people who need hard proof of the #5 and #20 fuse pull.

1. Reprogram the ECM with the latest TIS2Web calibrations to reset the ECM adapts. Normally this reset can also be accomplished by pulling the 2 main ECM fuses (F13R and F20U) shown in the ECM Power, Ground, MIL, and Serial Data Schematic (SI Document # 2209065).

In the paragraph above, is the ECM fuse, F13R, the same as the #5 fuse?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #28
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulo View Post

2a. If they have never used anything but premium unleaded with a posted octane of 93 or higher, go to step 3.
Avec la Step 3?

If you have been reading my posts in the multiple "what Octane" threads than you may have drawn this conclusion... for those who have not. I will spell it out clearly.

This is important to know and understand:

Just because you religiously pump from the "93 Octane Premium Handle" does not mean you are getting a full tank of "93 Octane Premium Gas"

I will explain:

Modern up to date Fuel/Petrol Stations are manifolded. The three gasoline grades are in separate tanks typically 85,88 and 90/93. However at some point they come into a common line.

If you use a pump like either below you are probably getting exactly what you intend to.

Notice: Separate handle and hose for each grade.

If you use one that looks like this one below.. Which most of us do, your first gallon or so could be 85 octane if someone filled up a gas can for a lawn mower before you got there.

Note: All grades same handle, same common line.

A 1.751 I.D. hose holds .1251 gal/ft....... Typical gas pump hose is say 10 feet (The length you can see).. so in the picture above in just the 10 ft of black hose you can see, is 1.251 gallons of 85 octane waiting for your car....... Even if you selected 93 octane.

So if you wonder why you have to do a fuse pull every now and then, this is why.....

You have two options for resolution.

1. Find a gas station that has the older style Gas pumps.
  2. Camp your gas station and fill up behind someone who has just pumped premium.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote