Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #57
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
personally I think, and im sure we can all agree, this comparison is a little silly. a track car vs a standard car vs a overpowered grad touring car.

I did however enjoy the craaaazy burnouts with the hellcat.
Hellcat is definitely the car for smokey burnouts. It has 707hp and the same size rear tires as a stock Camaro SS (and they had to roll the fenders to do it).
It would be pretty much impossible to get the car to hook up from a dead stop on the street.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #58
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
i got the impression that this guy wasn't really driving any of these cars hard at all. Barely a tire squeal and seemed to be slowing down way early to take the turns. It could be my ignorance though. I've never been on Gingerman.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #59
68fbjjz109

Drives: 15 GTPP, CUCV Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Forgive the basic question, but if someone could answer it in layman's terms I'd really appreciate it.

Would it be easier/cheaper to buy a Hellcat and modify the wheels, suspension, brakes, etc, to make it handle and brake as close to the Z/28 as possible or would it be easier/cheaper to modify the power plant of the Z/28 to get close to the 700HP of the Hellcat whilst retaining as much of its handling as possible?

I guess what I'm really asking, if one had to choose between the two as a starting point, after heavy moding which could ultimately be the best expression and balance of power and handling in a track car?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Since you mention a track car, You want to start with the best chassis. Which means I would wait a couple of years.

The S550 is a very rigid platform, I have seen many the hydroformed Roof/A Pillar that Schuler has made for it. Boron B pillars, loads of high strength steel. The S550 is lighter and stronger than the SN197. Ford has done no additional structural modifications the the chassis for the GT350. Bama performance has gotten has their 2015 GT at 3,450 lbs with driver and half-tank of fuel with weight reduction.

The ATS, which is the basis for the new Camaro also has significant structural advantage, material advantages, and build process advantages which result in overall performance and weight advantages over the Challenger/Charger L platform. Which by all rights is old, antiquated, and heavy. One thing the keep in mind is FCA does not have near the production capacity, of GM or Ford. And doesn't task risks like GM or especially Ford.

If your building a track car look to the new Camaro or Mustang. The Challenger replacement will be underway shortly. And all I know about it is it will be different in approach to how Dodge has offered a car in that segment.

However by the time Job 1 is completed for the Dodge, Mustang will have a mid cycle action, and the Camaro will be on the verge of one aswell so current platforms issues will be addressed. If you are familiar with GM powertrains. It might be best to stay with the devil you know.
68fbjjz109 is offline   Reply With Quote