The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
But a highly tuned EcoBoost 4 unique to the Mustang and maybe a couple other lower volume special cars will be more expensive to build than a NA V6 that is share with more and higher volume parts of the Ford lineup.

As for sticker price cost, Ford is already offering EcoBoost 4s as extra cost options over base NA V6s in some of their cars.

No 4-cylinder model is going to rival the V8s. The turbo 4 is nothing more than an ingenious way to sell the same power as a V6, all while charging more upfront, having an easier time lying about fuel economy, and giving their dealers a huge extra profit source down the road when they start billing for turbo replacements.

you sure about that?
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
No 4-cylinder model is going to rival the V8s. The turbo 4 is nothing more than an ingenious way to sell the same power as a V6, all while charging more upfront, having an easier time lying about fuel economy, and giving their dealers a huge extra profit source down the road when they start billing for turbo replacements.
I agree with you that the factory Turbo 4 won't compete with the V8. Its not meant to. Hey, whether they offer the turbo 4 or not is not a big deal to me, cuz I'd like to see the V6 still, but at the same time if Ford offers one, I see Chevy doing it too. It could be great on bringing over the tuner crowd to Mustang and Camaro. Its all about sales right?

What I said was if there are tunes available for them, they will be pretty damn quick and a quick way for someone to get good power in a cheaper package (albeit killing their warranty of course, but thats not the point here).

If you think there aren't all kinds of cobalt SS's running around out there with little more than basic bolt ons and a tune that won't eat up stock L99s....you'd be wrong.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #31
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
you sure about that?
I'm not saying a turbo 4 in a 2700 lb car couldn't be a match for a V8 in a 3800 lb car. But that is a completely different argument. That's a case of less mass making up for the engine's shortcomings. The discussion here is engine vs. engine, not entire car/package vs. entire car/package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
If you think there aren't all kinds of cobalt SS's running around out there with little more than basic bolt ons and a tune that won't eat up stock L99s....you'd be wrong.
A tuned Cobalt and a stock L99 Camaro are two completely different cars. And a "resonably" tuned Cobalt engine still wouldn't compare to the L99, its short comings would simply be made up by having a much lighter car.

Second, your argument is moot if you are going to base it on modding. You can mod a car to do anything the size of your wallet will allow. Yes, you can tune a Turbo 4 to match, or maybe even beat a stock V8 if you really throw a lot of money at it and don't care about durability, but the V8 can be modded, too.

Last edited by fielderLS3; 03-12-2013 at 05:04 PM.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #32
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I agree with you that the factory Turbo 4 won't compete with the V8. Its not meant to. Hey, whether they offer the turbo 4 or not is not a big deal to me, cuz I'd like to see the V6 still, but at the same time if Ford offers one, I see Chevy doing it too. It could be great on bringing over the tuner crowd to Mustang and Camaro. Its all about sales right?

What I said was if there are tunes available for them, they will be pretty damn quick and a quick way for someone to get good power in a cheaper package (albeit killing their warranty of course, but thats not the point here).

Ford has been really smart with EcoBoost. They have huge gains with just a tune. The Next Gen Shelby/Cobra/SVT Mustang will be a monster if it has an EcoBoost 8...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #33
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Well this is interesting news.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
See below

Anybody that says they don't care what the competition is doing needs to turn their blinders off. If you really care about your brand, you should care what the competition is doing. Why, because its going to end up making whichever one your prefer get better. When competition is going strong the consumer wins.
love chevy dont give a crap what the others do
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #35
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I for one am very excited about these new power wars. As a brand new wrx owner, I am learning just how fun turbo 4's can be. And for those that say they can't hang with V8s, I'd encourage you to look at performance numbers and also go drive one. (I recognize the wrx's awd changes some variables.)
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #36
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
love chevy dont give a crap what the others do
Yet another person that doesn't understand that competition makes things better for each side :rollseyes:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Yet another person that doesn't understand that competition makes things better for each side :rollseyes:
Perhaps...but remember that for a small group of us enthusiasts - it truly, honestly, doesn't matter what happens outside of the Chevy showroom. They'd have bought it anyways.

I think I might have one foot in that camp, but I really haven't had reason to think about it too much.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #38
KMPrenger

Quote:
Second, your argument is moot if you are going to base it on modding. You can mod a car to do anything the size of your wallet will allow. Yes, you can tune a Turbo 4 to match, or maybe even beat a stock V8 if you really throw a lot of money at it and don't care about durability, but the V8 can be modded, too.
I'm not trying to argue anything. I'm fully aware that when it comes to modding, your wallet is the limit. All I'm saying is that the 4 banger tuner crowd should like it, and it will be a good platform for easy power.

Don't want to de-rail the thread.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #39
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Perhaps...but remember that for a small group of us enthusiasts - it truly, honestly, doesn't matter what happens outside of the Chevy showroom. They'd have bought it anyways.

I think I might have one foot in that camp, but I really haven't had reason to think about it too much.
Number 1 for me is looks with performance an important 2nd (cause you gotta be able to have fun too) . If it don't look good, well it had better have a crap ton of power or something substaintial over the competition or else I won't consider it.

I think GM knows how important it is to nail the design. I sure hope they can do it!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #40
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mu...ond_generation) maybe their refresh will keep them on course and change the body style to reflect the experiment they once had with the other four cylinder
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #41
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

That's a poor way to think about competition. It may not matter to you but you have to look at the big picture. What Ford does affects Chevy and vice versa. That's the importance but otherwise it really doesn't matter from a personal standpoint.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #42
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I onno know how I feel about this lol I dont even know what to say
Feel like the engine is going to work superhard to get the good mpg numbers when cruising
Im guessing new mustang will weight 3300-3500 pounds but still.
Would much rather them stick to v6s and v8s
Hear a turbo 4 sound out of a Mustang or Camaro is going to be hard to get over for myself lol Call myself ignorant just being honest
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote