Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #15
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
If you are going manual the TR6060 in the ZL1 is awesome - 0-62mph in 1st gear.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:54 PM   #16
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'd go ZL1 over a highly modded/supercharged SS. It has a fully built and forged engine and upgraded drivetrain, all the upgraded go-fast goodies, looks/styling (subjective, I know), and the overall value. Yes, you can spend less money to make an SS faster than a ZL1 in a straight line, but you still have the value of an SS. And in reality, it's not the beefed-up hardware so how reliable is it? GM upgraded the crankshaft to a stronger forging for the LT4, because they were breaking cranks during their torture testing at LT4 power levels. And boosting an LT1 to greater than LT4 power levels....I know many here have done it safely, but to me it sounds like a ticking time bomb. There's also windage and oil path improvements in the LT4 compared to the LT1...

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:58 AM   #17
Wtgrantham

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 Convertible
I know I fall in the minority when this subject comes up and everybody says “buy a ZL1.” I have always liked the looks of the SS and especially the 1LE better than the ZL1. I don’t care for the wider front end, the giant hump in the hood, the gloss black trim, the comic book character look of the car, and I hate the ZL1 wheels. I would prefer to mod the car I like the best.
Wtgrantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:41 AM   #18
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
I have a 2017 1SS with 123,000 miles on it. It is my daily and I enjoy the looks and feel of the car. It is paid for and there are just a few other modifications I want to do it when I get another car for a daily. Headers, Circle D Torque convertor and maybe some suspension stuff.
Would I like to get a ZL1, hell yes. Do I want a huge car payment? Hell no. A few years back, before COVID used ZL1 prices were not that bad but now the prices for used performance cars are just too much for me. what I am trying to say is the idea of me having or getting a ZL1 is just not in the works. Maybe a few years from now I can find a used 2017 ZL1 with hopefully not too many miles on it and not beat to hell and back. Not all of us can afford to pay 60k plus for a car we want. Either way I am just happy to have what I have right now. Thanks.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:22 PM   #19
fattyz28

Drives: 20 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
I have a 2017 1SS with 123,000 miles on it. It is my daily and I enjoy the looks and feel of the car. It is paid for and there are just a few other modifications I want to do it when I get another car for a daily. Headers, Circle D Torque convertor and maybe some suspension stuff.
Would I like to get a ZL1, hell yes. Do I want a huge car payment? Hell no. A few years back, before COVID used ZL1 prices were not that bad but now the prices for used performance cars are just too much for me. what I am trying to say is the idea of me having or getting a ZL1 is just not in the works. Maybe a few years from now I can find a used 2017 ZL1 with hopefully not too many miles on it and not beat to hell and back. Not all of us can afford to pay 60k plus for a car we want. Either way I am just happy to have what I have right now. Thanks.

I agree prices are too high. Financially, 60k for essentially a toy, would be poor judgment on my part. Could I swing it? Fortunately, at the moment yes. I have a considerable amount of positive equity in my ss. Having said that, I don’t want that obligation longer than necessary. I do grunt work and I’m not getting any younger. Maybe I need to reevaluate my goals for this car. I wish I had your mentality of appreciating what I have. I have a problem with not leaving things alone and longing for more.
fattyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #20
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyz28 View Post
I agree prices are too high. Financially, 60k for essentially a toy, would be poor judgment on my part. Could I swing it? Fortunately, at the moment yes. I have a considerable amount of positive equity in my ss. Having said that, I don’t want that obligation longer than necessary. I do grunt work and I’m not getting any younger. Maybe I need to reevaluate my goals for this car. I wish I had your mentality of appreciating what I have. I have a problem with not leaving things alone and longing for more.
Given the vehicle you already have, I mean, you could throw a cam at it, headers, maybe an upgraded clutch, and still see a significant HP increase. That wouldn't be too crazy an upgrade and it wouldn't require drastic measures/prices either.

Again, it really depends on what you want to do. There are still options out there that could make a lot of sense...

For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28553975196...=&toolid=10049

2020 ZL1 - wrecked but appears to have everything needed - $29k and you could transplant into your car all the goodies you want for the most part..

2017 ZL1 - 51k - 33k miles
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...8/NONE/DEFAULT

Just ideas to throw at you... if you can upgrade without breaking the bank, I'd suggest it personally. Especially if you can flip that equity in your SS to the ZL1, and maintain a similar payment plan/time frame.

All really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go...
Old 11-03-2023, 05:17 PM   #21
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyz28 View Post
Glad you recognize that. "Wanting" things does not often lead to wise decisions if there isn't some self-control to go along with it.

I'm in the minority here in that I'm happy with the power in an SS 1LE. More than enough for the street. I could make use of some more power at some of the race tracks I attend for HPDE, but honestly, most of the fun comes from the corners, not the straights, so max speed is a bit irrelevant. I honestly don't understand what drives people to want so much power that you can't really use it WOT on the street.

You mention that the color of your SS 1LE wasn't your first choice. Have you considered keeping your current Camaro and having it wrapped? You could choose any color you want, even afford to change your mind on the color pretty frequently if you do the work yourself.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #22
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
To the Op, do what is best for you and your situation is my advice.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:25 PM   #23
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I'm in the minority here in that I'm happy with the power in an SS 1LE. More than enough for the street. I could make use of some more power at some of the race tracks I attend for HPDE, but honestly, most of the fun comes from the corners, not the straights, so max speed is a bit irrelevant. I honestly don't understand what drives people to want so much power that you can't really use it WOT on the street.

If you have never had or experienced 720 Rwp it's hard to
explain. Let me just say it's absolutely AWESOME!
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote