Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #1
fattyz28

Drives: 20 2SS 1LE
I’m torn. What would you do?

Would you mod your ss or try to trade up to a zl1?

I’m at crossroad. I’ve had the car almost a year. I really like the car. I kind of settled on this one. I wanted to order a new one but the dealer I was talking to never got an allocation. Then price hikes deterred me into buying used like what I have now. It had the options I wanted, just not my first choice on the color. Really wanted a zl1 but they were/are more than I’m willing to pay for a new car or even used at the time. Fast forward I want to upgrade it, but to get the car where I think I want it (6-700) the cost factor puts me in the 17-18 zl1 price range. It would be shy on the power level but cheaper to upgrade later.

What are your thoughts?
fattyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:52 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyz28 View Post

I’m at crossroad. I’ve had the car almost a year. I really like the car. I kind of settled on this one. I wanted to order a new one but the dealer I was talking to never got an allocation. Then price hikes deterred me into buying used like what I have now. It had the options I wanted, just not my first choice on the color. Really wanted a zl1 but they were/are more than I’m willing to pay for a new car or even used at the time. Fast forward I want to upgrade it, but to get the car where I think I want it (6-700) the cost factor puts me in the 17-18 zl1 price range. It would be shy on the power level but cheaper to upgrade later.

What are your thoughts?
So, this is pretty predictable. All the ZL1 guys will say “Buy a ZL1”. And for the power level you want, I actually agree 100%. The ZL1 is a few bolt ons and E85 from 600-700 WHP. And the ZL1 has better rods, pistons, fueling, and axles/driveshaft than the SS that will handle that power level safely.

Now if you’re going to go all out and shoot for 1K or more, you might as well just mod your SS since you won’t want most of the ZL1 stuff at that power level anyway. Your changing a ton of stuff to get there. It’s a lot cheaper and easier to get 1K from a Mustang, FYI. I have both cars and love them both, but can say definitively that fueling high HP LTx motors is a genuine PITA.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:23 PM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
So, this is pretty predictable. All the ZL1 guys will say “Buy a ZL1”. And for the power level you want, I actually agree 100%. The ZL1 is a few bolt ons and E85 from 600-700 WHP. And the ZL1 has better rods, pistons, fueling, and axles/driveshaft than the SS that will handle that power level safely.

Now if you’re going to go all out and shoot for 1K or more, you might as well just mod your SS since you won’t want most of the ZL1 stuff at that power level anyway. Your changing a ton of stuff to get there. It’s a lot cheaper and easier to get 1K from a Mustang, FYI. I have both cars and love them both, but can say definitively that fueling high HP LTx motors is a genuine PITA.
Pretty much this...

1.) You already have the SS 1LE, so most of the fun stuff is already on your car aside from the ZL1 specific trans, and a few other items like the obvious blower.

2.) Much easier to take a small loan for upgrades/cost affordability than upgrading to a ZL1 due to interest rates, especially on used cars.

3.) Just from my own perspective, I was in a similar situation in 2017. I had a 1SS 5th gen, was looking at adding serious power....and for me, it made more financial sense to just get the new car. As your car is much newer (mine was already going on 7 years old at that time), you may not be in the same boat as the car won't need as much maintenance upkeep.

4.) Most important question: Is the car something that you want to become a project or something you still want to DD? For me, I want a DD car I can play with. I didn't want something that was tempermental or a PITA if it wasn't 90 degrees out in terms of how it ran. That is a legitimate thing you need to consider going down this road.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:37 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
A ZL1 is much more than just more horsepower/ The whole drivetrain is much beefier especially the rear end, axles, etc
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:00 PM   #5
fattyz28

I appreciate the feedback so far.

It is my daily for now, and I don’t plan on adding anything major until it is paid off. I’m trying to plan ahead. I feel as if the ss will depreciate quicker than a zl1. I think the price gap will widen between the two as time goes on.

As far a pushing bigger numbers, with a manual it seems a pointless to me. Only because the a10 is faster. If I traded for a zl1 it will be a 10 speed. If I am getting the most powerful version it makes sense to get the quickest variation.

My goal is for a stout, reliable, street car. I’m thinking a Maggie 2650, drop in pistons, cam (since the motor will be out anyway), long tubes, cold air going through a 95mm tb. Fueling upgrades, and Probably upgrading the clutch at the same time. I figure that will be close to 20-25k when it is all said and done.

If I added that to what my car is worth, it equates to zl1 money. But my interest rate would definitely be higher like one of you mentioned. To be honest, I want a break from car payments.

That’s what keeps running thru my head.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:22 AM   #6
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback so far.

It is my daily for now, and I don’t plan on adding anything major until it is paid off. I’m trying to plan ahead. I feel as if the ss will depreciate quicker than a zl1. I think the price gap will widen between the two as time goes on.

As far a pushing bigger numbers, with a manual it seems a pointless to me. Only because the a10 is faster. If I traded for a zl1 it will be a 10 speed. If I am getting the most powerful version it makes sense to get the quickest variation.

My goal is for a stout, reliable, street car. I’m thinking a Maggie 2650, drop in pistons, cam (since the motor will be out anyway), long tubes, cold air going through a 95mm tb. Fueling upgrades, and Probably upgrading the clutch at the same time. I figure that will be close to 20-25k when it is all said and done.

If I added that to what my car is worth, it equates to zl1 money. But my interest rate would definitely be higher like one of you mentioned. To be honest, I want a break from car payments.

That’s what keeps running thru my head.
Literally everything you just said, was how I wound up with my ZL1.... I was basically paid off on my SS, I was looking at the money I was dumping into the car, I wanted no more car payments.... but I also started looking at what kind of issues I might have with a modded car that was 7 years old...

It's truly not an easy decision, and it does drive you nuts thinking about it. Trading in your SS 1LE should net you some decent money (at least enough to pay off the loan assuming you have one) and putting 20-25k down on a ZL1 would still get you a solid payment provided you get a decent rate....
Old 11-02-2023, 07:44 AM   #7
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
With the amount of mods you listed, I would personally just upgrade to the zl1. You said the car is your DD. I wouldn’t want to DD a cammed car. Even if you go with a small cam I still wouldn’t be DD’ing a highly modified car. You’ll most likely be chasing issues here and there and I doubt you’ll want to do that on a car you have to drive everyday.

I’m kind of in the same boat. I had a 16 1ss. My plan originally was to get a used zl1 as 2-3 year old ones use to be in the mid 40’s. Fast forward to now and 17/18 z’s are low to mid 50’s. Because of this it made sense to me to buy a new car and I couldn’t justify spending 70k on a new zl1 at this point in my life.

I guess I’m in a slightly different boat than you. I do plan on heavily tracking my 1le. Because of this and while the car is under warranty I do not need more power for track use. For street use though I do wish I had more power because I’m used to what I have. When the warranty is up I plan on doing minor bolt ons to get me to about 440-450 whp. I think I’ll be satisfied with just a little more. I don’t think I need zl1 power to be satisfied plus I won’t be able to keep my foot in it as long if I do decide to upgrade to a zl1.

I’ll also say one more thing. Which car do you think looks better? Because that should go into your decision as well. For me the 2020+ SS 1le is the most menacing looking 6th gen.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:03 AM   #8
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Just my two cents... I stopped reading right there, because to me the rest does not matter.

Easy choice for me... buy the ZL1. Modded cars take you out of any factory warranty, are built to your liking, are not as easy to sell or trade when/if that happens. You'll never get your investment in the modded parts/labor.

I've seen so many posts on this and other forums about people not even wanting to buy a used (non-modded) muscle car. What do you think their thoughts are when it comes to a modded used muscle car. I'd never buy one.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:06 AM   #9
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
M6 or A10?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:08 AM   #10
Alexk

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE Shadow Gray
I'd pay little extra and go with 2019 ZL1
Factory 650hp should be more reliable in the long run compare to built car, there is always a chance something will go wrong with them. That's my opinion.
I'd only stick with my SS only if add extra 100hp from stock. Anything more than that makes sense to upgrade to ZL1
Alexk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:17 AM   #11
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
One factor not discussed yet is insurance. In my state (Michigan) insuring a car that is VIN identifiable as boosted is way more expensive than insuring a car that you boost aftermarket. Not sure if that matters in your state.

When sorting out my car purchase I was considering a Grand Sport convertible, a ZL1 convertible and an SS convertible and landed on the SS. The ZL1 had the highest insurance quote by a lot, simply because of the hp and that it is boosted. My insurance would literally have been more than my car note.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:32 AM   #12
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
My perspective might be different. Buying expensive cars are not a good investment and should never be looked at that way, there are better investments. I look at my car as an entertainment expense. The thrill of owning and driving my car gives me emense enjoyment. It is also my hobby that I enjoy.

The thrill of a fast car can be fleeting for some as they grow tired and lose interest or wanting something different. So how long you intend to keep the car should determine how much to put into it. Pouring thousands into car you might only keep a few years, would not give you a good return on your money spent. Unless you have money to burn you should determine first how much you are willing to spend for the ride. Making a decision based on just want will disappoint you in the end.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:41 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Agree Smokin19!��
Old 11-02-2023, 04:01 PM   #14
fattyz28

To devilsreject97, I do still owe on the ss and I get your point. It makes perfect sense to me what you did. When mine is paid off it will be a little over 5.

M6-lt1, this will not permanently be my daily driver. It would be a small boost cam. I’m not close to any race tracks that I am aware of. My warranty is pretty much expired. I bought this certified used. Looks wise the regular zl1 front end for me is hands down the best front end of all Camaros. Having said that I will not put a zl1 front end on a ss.

Jamala, this is the 6th camaro I have had over the years. None of the others were this new or nice. I agree about not wanting to buy a modded car, but if it was done by a known, reputable shop I would consider it depending upon several factors.

FarmerFran, my ss is a six speed, if I get a zl1 it will be automatic for various reasons.

Alexk, the bad part of upgrading a ss, if I do stuff now not everything would be compatible with the final build in mind. It would be fun but more costly overall.

Martinjlm, you bring up a solid point about insurance. I have 1 teenager on my policy now with another one coming soon. Clean records across the board currently, but you can’t predict the future.

Smokin19, you are right cars are not investments for the future. For some people that works out for them in that regard. My statement about depreciation was essentially referring to the here and now. Top trim levels tend to hold more value for longer. I think if I was to trade, it would be better sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for the feedback.