The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Borla atak exhaust question

So.... I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado 5.3L which I just put a Borla ATAK dual exhaust system on....rear dual exit. I have to admit, I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I've never had this experience before and I would like to know if I'm being lied to about what's happening.
When I take off in this truck UNDER FULL THROTTLE , every time the truck shifts it pops/backfires . I asked at the dealer first and they suggested that I should put an air intake on the vehicle...that it sounded like it needed more air. Not completely satisfied with that answer I decided to call Borla. The rep said "TOTALLY NORMAL.... it's designed to do that" It's an acceleration pop is what he called it. Now he may have had another name for it, but unfortunately I'm getting older and forgot the exact name since it was a few days ago. I told him that it sounded like a backfire every time it shifts, but only under full throttle and one time it sounded like my AR15 going off …. At the time, I was trying to get past someone and at the exact moment it shifted we were going under an overpass which I'm sure amplified the sound. It scared the crap out of the guy I was passing which was actually pretty funny. When it first happened I figured it would need to be tuned, but I really don't want to void the engine warranty with only 2900 miles on it.
Anyone have any thoughts on this...…
Old 08-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Borla ATAK fan here. Decel pop is common with the setup. Unburnt fuel being ignited in the exhaust. It can be "tuned out" if you prefer. Personally, I love it, it's raw.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
I just installed a Borla Atak cat back system on my Grand Cherokee SRT and it snorts like a raped ape every time it shifts. Totally normal and awesome.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
SILVERHAWK

Cool..... thanks guys....
Old 09-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
SILVERHAWK

So.... I forgot to put in an update on this issue. I had a discussion with the head service guy at the local dealership..... turns out that it is something in the truck's programming that causes it NOT the design of the muffler system per say. The ATAK style just amplifies the result. What happens under full throttle is the computer shuts off the fuel briefly right before is shifts to help prevent damage to the transmission. That's why I see the fuel mileage bar drop all the way down as it shifts because the fuel is cut off. This causes it to pop or backfire. Makes a lot more sense now.