Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-11-2023, 07:41 PM   #15
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
They were intent on getting the absolute best numbers on the track and at Nurburgring they could. I’m sure they tried a bunch of configurations and this one worked the best.

Don’t forget, one rear axle is slightly smaller in diameter than the other, for as perfect weight balance as possible with the driver, and they weighed all the parts in the car in grams instead of American pounds and ounces in order to get some really precise weights on parts.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:58 PM   #16
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Not all models were staggered, lower spec stuff was same all around. Around 30mm offset at 8.5 in ch wide and variety of wheel diameters.

You can only go do wide evenly before you run out of room (strut) so add wider fenders. From there... it's how wide can you go for lowest cost.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:47 PM   #17
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
They were intent on getting the absolute best numbers on the track and at Nurburgring they could. I’m sure they tried a bunch of configurations and this one worked the best.

Don’t forget, one rear axle is slightly smaller in diameter than the other, for as perfect weight balance as possible with the driver, and they weighed all the parts in the car in grams instead of American pounds and ounces in order to get some really precise weights on parts.
FWIW - all GM vehicle programs track component weight in grams. Been that way for as long as I can remember.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 10:54 PM   #18
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Not all models were staggered, lower spec stuff was same all around. Around 30mm offset at 8.5 in ch wide and variety of wheel diameters.

You can only go do wide evenly before you run out of room (strut) so add wider fenders. From there... it's how wide can you go for lowest cost.
This is a good point, space is always at a premium up front and in general you can go a lot wider in the rear with no obstructions from a design standpoint. Everything is a compromise. That they put 255s on the rear V8 cars like Mustangs and now LT1s is criminal. Up front on my stinger I managed to fit 255s, but that's it, you are out of space and nothing wider will fit. Luckily they designed the C6 Camaro from the beginning with the space needed to run some real wide front rubber.

I've been playing around with 295s up front on my Camaro and I don't think I'd do it again if I had a choice, I did not due to availability, but the car seemed a bit better balanced with the 285. That could also be due to sidewall flex though, which will be more with the fatter tire without a fatter rim to support it (racing).

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:19 PM   #19
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Cause big fat rear tires look really cool?
THIS is the only explanation that works in my head! preach!
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 12:06 AM   #20
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
FWIW - all GM vehicle programs track component weight in grams. Been that way for as long as I can remember.
Ok, I just remember watching an interview with Ed Welbourne before the debut of the 6th Gen with touting how precise they measured every component for the Alpha chassis in grams. I didn’t know it was common for GM by then.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 07-12-2023, 12:09 AM   #21
olrocker

If you guys remember the last generation Pontiac Bonneville GXP with the Northstar V8, it actually had wider FRONT tires
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 07-12-2023, 06:04 AM   #22
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
All else same with suspension, stagger increases understeer, which mfgs like so people won’t tail first into a wall as understeer easier for Joe average to control on the street.
I think VR has this EXACTLY correct. I vividly remember in the 70's and 80's when the best handling production cars in the world were Porsches. They ALSO had staggered tires BUT the factory designed those cars to be almost NEUTRAL as far as handling goes.

At the time they were the best handling cars in the world BUT in the hands of an inexperienced driver they could be deadly because they give VERY little feedback in terms of understeer that you were at the EDGE of losing control of the car. The old WHALE TAIL 911 for example was a great handling car but it gave you VERY little time to correct if you pushed it over the handling limits.

Personally I like neutral handing cars and I run always square tire/wheel setups because I am convinced they are faster than staggered setups. The car is able to transfer its weight easier when cornering at the limits. Of course it is easier to run a non-staggered set up if the car is more balanced front to rear in terms of its weight. An SS for example is easier to run a square setup on when compared to a ZL1 because of the extra 150-200 pounds front end weight that the Zl1 lugs around with it (I have had both).

I think POWER levels as well as how you get to that power level applies here as well. MY car is NA with a 416 stroker engine and it has MORE HP than my ZL1 1LE had. BUT, the car being naturally aspirated does NOT have as much torque as my ZL1 !LE had. PLUS, my SS has a smoother power band than my ZL1 had. With the torque coming on MUCH faster with my ZL1, traction was always an issue so the widest tires possible were beneficial in terms of traction. 325's here are almost a necessity and since the widest you can generally run on the front is 305's, then a staggered setup is ALMOST a necessity on the ZL1 to compensate for the increased torque of the supercharger set up.

The bottom line though is I think GM got it right by building in some understeer because it does make safer for the majority of drivers in terms of more predictable handling.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 07-12-2023 at 06:28 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:23 AM   #23
NashZL1

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
So you can go through a set of rear tires in 4,500 miles, with only 80 of those track miles.
2020 Genesis G90 Ultimate
2019 Mercedes-Benz SL450
2017 Corvette Grand Sport A8
2016 Hyundai Equus Ultimate
1971 Datsun 240Z
NashZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:37 AM   #24
olrocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashZL1 View Post
So you can go through a set of rear tires in 4,500 miles, with only 80 of those track miles.
Some car companies actually put warning stickers on the windows advising that the tires could wear out before 15,000 miles just so owners aren't "surprised" when they see no tread left on their garage queen with only 8900 miles.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Old 07-12-2023, 06:39 AM   #25
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashZL1 View Post
I generaly don't stutut... stutut... stutter, but kee kee riste that is CRAYZAY
Old 07-12-2023, 07:09 AM   #26
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Have you ever seen a tractor with the same big fat tires in the front? Torque torque torque
Yep, my father in law had one of these.

And yep big and littles are cool. My old Chevy II
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2023, 07:11 AM   #27
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
A push will effectively slow you down in a corner while it too works to not have the rear end come out on you. I hate a Front end push, I'd rather have the rear end loose to an extent. I saw it on my otherwise stock 1LE, just a tire change from the SC3 and I tried a set of Conti ECS and my car pushed really heavy on the front with those tires, it wouldn't take a turn at speed like the SC3 would. Plus it took the tire a split second to seemingly roll over or find it's bite which was still not nearly as good as the SC3.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:25 AM   #28
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
If you guys remember the last generation Pontiac Bonneville GXP with the Northstar V8, it actually had wider FRONT tires
They wanted oversteer.