Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Anyone replace the window trim molding ?

for some reason the trim on mine and a few other friends cars seem to have a fungus of some sort growing on them. I have tried many many different methods to remove it but to no avail. So this leads me to my question, who has replaced the rubber trim molding for the window area ? is it even possible to just ask a body shop to do the job or is it DIY friendly thing ?
any help would be appreciated
Old 07-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
Can you take a pic?
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Which one? The rubberish one on the door? That one's easy. Open the door and look toward where the front of the trim molding is (right behind that triangular trim piece next to the sideview mirror). You'll see a phillips screw. That screw is what holds the door trim molding on. Thing is, you need to remove the interior door panel and sideview mirror to get the molding itself off. One member on here was able to remove the molding without having to take out the interior door panel and the sideview mirror, so maybe it is possible.

For the roof drip molding (the rigid plastic trim molding that runs along the top of the window), that one's a little tougher since it's riveted on, but still possible to do yourself. If you pull down the weatherstripping right behind it, you'll see the 5 rivets that hold it in place. You would need to get a rivet removal attachment on a drill, remove those rivets, get new rivets, and purchase a rivet gun to install them.

And then, finally, the quarter window is cemented in with seam sealer and three clips to position it. That one, you might have to live with or try again to remove the mold through other means. Otherwise, a body shop is your best bet.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

^The rear we quarter window and window drip modding look fine. Lucky me it's the first one robert that is the problem child. Does GMPD sell that separately ?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
^The rear we quarter window and window drip modding look fine. Lucky me it's the first one robert that is the problem child. Does GMPD sell that separately ?
There's some OEM parts suppliers on eBay that sell the piece. It's probably the only way to get it for the cheapest price since it's very unlikely to show up in the member classifieds here on C5. It's way too narrowed down of a part.

It's not gonna be cheap, either way.

A couple auctions:

Left: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-GM...285241&vxp=mtr

Right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-GM...a44dc7&vxp=mtr

Lemme know if/when you get them, I'll give you a hand replacing them, since I want to see what the procedure is like. I am purchasing them pretty soon myself since I plan on replacing mine.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
There's some OEM parts suppliers on eBay that sell the piece. It's probably the only way to get it for the cheapest price since it's very unlikely to show up in the member classifieds here on C5. It's way too narrowed down of a part.

It's not gonna be cheap, either way.

A couple auctions:

Left: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-GM...285241&vxp=mtr

Right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-GM...a44dc7&vxp=mtr

Lemme know if/when you get them, I'll give you a hand replacing them, since I want to see what the procedure is like. I am purchasing them pretty soon myself since I plan on replacing mine.

will do buddy. thanks for the link.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
pumpman

Drives: 2010 SS and 2005 Acura TL
I have had the same problem....I was able to clean it all up and make look almost new.
First thing I did was tape up anything I did not want to get scratched. Next I used 3M scotch brite pad 7447 and just rubbed the areas needed to be cleaned up until all the staining was gone. then applied Mothers Back to Black.
pumpman is offline   Reply With Quote