Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Camaro Z28 (HP Edition) FACTS:

Let's post all verified information about the Z28 here. Please include sources for all information in the post. This thread is for INFORMATIONAL purposes only and no other discussion will be allowed. Also note, that we are a long ways away from seeing Z28 and many things can change along the way.

Please feel free to post anything you've found in here; this STICKY will be updated as often as possible. I'll leave information that's yet to be confirmed, though we have, probably, a fair idea on what the bottom line will be (i.e. the wheel image below from the CTS-V).

Thanks for sharing! Let's go 'Stang hunting

EDIT: To all those with the enthusiastic posts, I'm sorry, but I had to clean the thread up. I hope you all understand

Respectfully,
Chuck

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

The latest and greatest information thread with spyshots thread

Last edited 01/14/2011

"As reported on HOMEPAGE.

This just in from BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet, who has just attended a National Chevrolet Dealer's meeting where among other things, the upcoming "Camaro Z28" or "HP Edition" model was confirmed and discussed!

Here are the confirmed details from the meeting:
  1. Production begins January 1, 2012
  2. Internally referred to as the "HP Edition" model (it was not actually referred to as "Z28" during the meeting)
  3. 6.2L supercharged engine
  4. Magnetic Ride suspension
  5. 285F / 330R tires
  6. Hood design to have louvre/slat design seen in spy photos (dealers in attendance were shown a gray Z28 model)
  7. Slight (not major) updates to the interior, with some brighter trimwork
As for the 2012 Camaro generally, the 45th anniversary edition (which we discussed here) will be for both coupe and convertible models. It will come in carbon flash color with all black interior and unique wheels.

Some additional (but unconfirmed) details thought to be related:
  • It's going to be bad-@$$
  • The Z28 is NOT "above" an SS, and an SS is NOT "above" a Z28
  • 550+ horsepower LS-engine based around the LSA (556/551 HP/TQ)
  • Package specific upgrades, including:
    - Body kit (revised front bumper fascia - some similarity to Bumblebee v2 in TFROTF; different grille mesh, revised hood - like the Bumblebee v2 hood in TFROTF, revised rear bumper fascia, 20-inch "tuning-fork" five-spoke wheels)
    - Possible chassis tuning including suspension/tires/wheels pending...
  • CTS-V-style front brakes
  • Certification for engine/transmission changes pending
  • Six-speed manual transmission may be the only transmission available, unless GM can piggy-back CTS-V certs'
  • Weight will probably be around 4000 lbs.
  • Pricing purportedlyless than Corvette (which model - unknown...)

See the most current spy shots threads here

Sources:
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet - Edmunds - Inside Line

Comments by Ed Welburn, GM Vice President for Global Design
Excerpts from the book, "Camaro : American Icon" with Yup Lee, Executive Lead Designer for the Camaro Concept and Production Vehicle
Comments by Al Oppenheiser, the Vehicle Chief Engineer for the 5th Generation 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Comments by Mark Ruess, GM North America President

Probably the most accepted concept images and relatively recent spyshots from (Camaro - An American Icon provided the Design Studio images;Nürburgring Nordschleife; 3 - Denver, CO;near the 'Ring;unknown location;Denver, CO; near the 'Ring):
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

NOTE: There is no official release, for any details, of LSA in Camaro; this is information for CTS-V.

Some more pics' and a LOT of great information: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44331

2010 "LSA" 6.2L V-8 SC (LSA)

2010 Model Year Summary

 Carryover Gen IV Small-Block V-8 for 2010 Cadillac CTS-V
 Gen VI Supercharger with Twin Four-Lobe Rotors
 Integrated Air-to-Liquid Intercooler
 Enhanced Gen IV Cylinder Block
 Hypereutectic Aluminum Pistons with Oil-Spray Cooling
 Lightweight Reciprocating Assembly
 Lower Lift, Low Overlap Cam
 High-Flow Rotacast Cylinder Heads
 Center-Feed Fuel System
 Direct-Mount Ignition Coils
 E67 Control Module
 Upgraded Oiling System
 Revised Accessory Drive
 High-Moly Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds with Close-Coupled Catalysts
 Acoustic Engine Cover

Many more LSA images found here:
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...ual/09lsa.html

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

These pages may be severely trimmed back to get back to the topic; I just wanted to let everyone know so no one would be offended I'm certainly guilty of participating, too

Respectfully...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
NOTE: There is no official release, for any details, of LSA in Camaro; this is information for CTS-V.

Some more pics' and a LOT of great information: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44331

2010 "LSA" 6.2L V-8 SC (LSA)

2010 Model Year Summary

 Carryover Gen IV Small-Block V-8 for 2010 Cadillac CTS-V
 Gen VI Supercharger with Twin Four-Lobe Rotors
 Integrated Air-to-Liquid Intercooler
 Enhanced Gen IV Cylinder Block
 Hypereutectic Aluminum Pistons with Oil-Spray Cooling
 Lightweight Reciprocating Assembly
 Lower Lift, Low Overlap Cam
 High-Flow Rotacast Cylinder Heads
 Center-Feed Fuel System
 Direct-Mount Ignition Coils
 E67 Control Module
 Upgraded Oiling System
 Revised Accessory Drive
 High-Moly Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds with Close-Coupled Catalysts
 Acoustic Engine Cover

Many more LSA images found here:
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...ual/09lsa.html
You left out details of the CTS-V brakes???
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You left out details of the CTS-V brakes???
AH!!! Good catch. I'll get those back on there Thank you, Pete

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
The rear tire size may be less than fact. My source is a phone conversation with someone who was at the Vegas meeting and they said rears were 305, not 330.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
The rear tire size may be less than fact. My source is a phone conversation with someone who was at the Vegas meeting and they said rears were 305, not 330.
When I look at the images and videos, they look like 305s to me, and certainly not larger than 315s. However - we're going with the information we've received. If it changes, though, believe we'll update the information Until I get a source I can post, this is how I have to leave it

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post

You could very well be right, the info was presented
very fast. I'll try to verify the correct size.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
When I look at the images and videos, they look like 305s to me, and certainly not larger than 315s. However - we're going with the information we've received. If it changes, though, believe we'll update the information Until I get a source I can post, this is how I have to leave it
I dreamed I saw a vehicle I suspect was a Z28. It had 315/30/20 rears. It is my opinion they did not come close to meeting OE criteria for clearance. A 305/30/20 would have been close to OE acceptable. Since this is the fact thread and I only dreamed this I probably should not have posted it.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
MOTOR TREND - VP Karl Stracke eludes to Fact Z will be on APHA at intro.

Scroll down 6 tabs to exact comment once on page. Somehow this makes me think they ARE indeed saving the Z/28 name for the Alpha and the HP is a bridge to the future.......

"Stracke said he was overruled and the product team was given marching orders to bring to make the production car as close to concept as possible — with little regard for such practical tweaks.

Stracke said that kind of mistake won’t happen again.; And that we’ll see hints of it starting with future models (hinting at the Z/28 again…) and when the all-new, Alpha-based (not Holden/Zeta) Camaro makes its debut.

“We need to win,” he said repeatedly. “Not just shoot for the middle.” "

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/gm-vp-z2...#ixzz1B2PG9HfH

http://blogs.motortrend.com/gm-vp-z2...lpha-2619.html
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
TheStigsFatAmericanCousin
Bloody Pikey

Drives: Camaro
Location: Some say, that I'm a CIA experiment that's gone wrong, and that I only eat cheese...
Quote:
I dreamed I saw a vehicle I suspect was a Z28. It had 315/30/20 rears. It is my opinion they did not come close to meeting OE criteria for clearance. A 305/30/20 would have been close to OE acceptable. Since this is the fact thread and I only dreamed this I probably should not have posted it.
I didn't think they'd fit nor would the ride quality have been there either, with that short sidewall. It seems to me that if you think the clearance isn't there, I'm sure GM would probably be along similar lines. Those tires just don't look that wide.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Scroll down 6 tabs to exact comment once on page. Somehow this makes me think they ARE indeed saving the Z/28 name for the Alpha and the HP is a bridge to the future.......

"Stracke said he was overruled and the product team was given marching orders to bring to make the production car as close to concept as possible — with little regard for such practical tweaks.

Stracke said that kind of mistake won’t happen again.; And that we’ll see hints of it starting with future models (hinting at the Z/28 again…) and when the all-new, Alpha-based (not Holden/Zeta) Camaro makes its debut.

“We need to win,” he said repeatedly. “Not just shoot for the middle.” "

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/gm-vp-z2...#ixzz1B2PG9HfH

http://blogs.motortrend.com/gm-vp-z2...lpha-2619.html
That would be the 6th Gen Camaro on alpha, future product.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Correct Justice Pete!

Quote:
That would be the 6th Gen Camaro on alpha, future product.
That is the implication.. And it is a quote not heretofore mentioned in this thread that directly relates.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote