Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
davgoat

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
{Info needed} Is the body & frame on LT,LS same as SS regarding rigid and strength

I'm new to the Camaro so need some help

I'm looking at buying a 2010 thru 2014 SS car that has been wrecked and the body is tore up and can not be repaired. Need to know if swapping drivetrain, electrical and suspension from SS body and installing in a LT or LS body that been complete gutted ( drivetrain ,suspension, wiring ) will work?

I have found a few water damaged or stripped LT & LS cars that I could use the body from and install the SS components in. Not sure if the V6 platform will support the V8 torque and if the mounting points strength areas are same on V8 body as the V6 body are. I have found some SS cars that are water or stripped also, if the LT,LS body ( V6 parts removed) are same gives me more options cars to do swap with.

If you know on any differences are info would appreciate some help
THANKS
davgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Guys that tried it had problems with wiring not body.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
the Bosch ECU of the 2010-2011 LLT def wont let you do that. Someone already tried and that thread has died at wiring
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
The body is the same, Subframe and k-member are the same. V6 manual habe the same driveshaft, diff, axles, and hubs as the SS. Suspension differences are sway bars, shocks and springs for FE2 to FE3. FE4 have different LCA's for different sway bar mounting.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
davgoat

Thanks for the input. I have heard from other people that someone tried to use the V6 wiring and computers with the V8 and I know that it will not work.

I'm not going to use any the LT or LS wiring that goes with the V6. I will be swapping out everything from a SS car including all wiring and computers just want to know if the body and mounting points are same to install all the SS parts and if the LT or LS will take the torque from the V8 without twisting.
THANKS
Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
davgoat

Thanks MagnumForceGB That is what trying to determine if the platforms for the V6 and V8 are same
Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davgoat View Post
I'm new to the Camaro so need some help

I'm looking at buying a 2010 thru 2014 SS car that has been wrecked and the body is tore up and can not be repaired. Need to know if swapping drivetrain, electrical and suspension from SS body and installing in a LT or LS body that been complete gutted ( drivetrain ,suspension, wiring ) will work?

I have found a few water damaged or stripped LT & LS cars that I could use the body from and install the SS components in. Not sure if the V6 platform will support the V8 torque and if the mounting points strength areas are same on V8 body as the V6 body are. I have found some SS cars that are water or stripped also, if the LT,LS body ( V6 parts removed) are same gives me more options cars to do swap with.

If you know on any differences are info would appreciate some help
THANKS
There have been quite a few threads on here of people trying to do this exact same thing. The body and frames are identical so swapping the drivetrain and suspension components isn't the issue. The issue is so far, no one has been able to get the V8 wiring and electrical components to work in a V6 car.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
davgoat

Question: MagnumForceGB The FE4=mid 2012 to current SS lower control arms will mount on the LS & LT body it just has a different sway bar or you saying the FE4=mid 2012 to current SS lower control arms will not work on any LS or LT?

THANKS
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
There have been quite a few threads on here of people trying to do this exact same thing. The body and frames are identical so swapping the drivetrain and suspension components isn't the issue. The issue is so far, no one has been able to get the V8 wiring and electrical components to work in a V6 car.
I understand the problems you would have if you use any the V6 wiring components with the V8. If you swap on everything from the V8 ( all V6 wiring completely removed) into the V6 platform and make sure all the grounding points are same as the V8 it is basically a SS car in a V6 body ?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Question: MagnumForceGB The FE4=mid 2012 to current SS lower control arms will mount on the LS & LT body it just has a different sway bar or you saying the FE4=mid 2012 to current SS lower control arms will not work on any LS or LT?

THANKS
Different mount points, wouldn't be able to use the sway bar. A V6 can use the LCA and sway bars from a FE4, but those items have to be the same. I would do full aftermarket though, the stock bushings are bad.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Different mount points, wouldn't be able to use the sway bar. A V6 can use the LCA and sway bars from a FE4, but those items have to be the same. I would do full aftermarket though, the stock bushings are bad.
THANKS For the info
Old 07-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
From the sounds of it, you will be good to go. Pull every V6 specific and bolt in all of the V8 stuff. Sounds like a good weeks worth of work.
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
I understand the problems you would have if you use any the V6 wiring components with the V8. If you swap on everything from the V8 ( all V6 wiring completely removed) into the V6 platform and make sure all the grounding points are same as the V8 it is basically a SS car in a V6 body ?
All of the control modules (the ECU, BCM, and TCU if using an automatic) are all vin locked by GM so you are required to use the SS's modules for the swap. The problem is that no one has gotten the modules to work and communicate with each other once they are disassembled and reassembled in the V6 donor.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #14
davgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
All of the control modules (the ECU, BCM, and TCU if using an automatic) are all vin locked by GM so you are required to use the SS's modules for the swap. The problem is that no one has gotten the modules to work and communicate with each other once they are disassembled and reassembled in the V6 donor.
That interesting. I have been trying to do a search and find the article on the swap but have not been able to find it.

But I know a lot of the car manufacture link all your primary electrical parts under the ECU. Like the window regulator in the doors they are linked together with original ECU. If they are not swapped with a matching ECU they will not commutate and items will not work So if all electrical items are not removed ( door locks ,window regulators etc.) that why things are not commutating

Manufactures are making it if anything is changed out the car has to come back to them to be programed. I think GM has done the same thing that most electrical parts are linked together.

So who ever did the swap might not swapped all the electrical parts
causing items not to commutate this is just my idea sense I have not seen the article