Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
owning it, mechanical over rev, engine trashed.

SO I had written a novel to go with this but it deleted itself, this happened from a over rev downshifting on the freeway from 5th to second when econobox in front of a van that was clogging up the middle lane over many miles decided to go to the fast lane just as I passed the van after patiently waiting for miles to join the hog line, and this hidden wanker decided to go to the fast lane right in front of me and my noisey valves open NPP exhaust cammed Camaro going about 80 in fifth. I of course had to down shift immediately and then I hit second accidentally the revs went way up and I got traction messages while hole shotting the Turd with a money shift and passing on the right at the van knew what was going on and wanted no part of it and I repeatedly cussed and then when able re shifted after mega scare with my wife on the interstate. We both remember that months ago. Well apparently just a few seconds at what ever ungodly rev....and months down the road the thing was still driving great with its powerful cam. Until within ten miles it repeatedly was misfiring on #2 cylinder, I changed the plug and within ten miles..... it degraded fast... Had trouble at idle at lights and had to keep it revved, as One spring had silently broke, and then right at my corner to take it tear down the valve covers........ TINK....at 1500-2000 revs this is the carnage that happens in a second when the second valve spring breaks. Oh yes and I have a 428 being built now, all forged, cam motion cam, monster clutch, mgw shifter, gm ported heads etc etc coming. SO I know it was from that nightmare I tried to forget only my engine was so strong it refused to die for months and did not even wimper til the bitter end. And I can blame no one except some stranger who drives like crap..... SO let this be a lesson to those who think they may have had a bad over rev....... MY symptoms was after tear down looking and checking closely almost all my pushrods were slightly bent. ANd this of course led to the spring going south and dropping a valve after my " Money Shift"...... Was it worth it? No, but it was impressive and did save my wifes and my life so yes it was worth it, It just would have been better if it had hit fourth and I could have just eased in the clutch not lost some traction and had stupid warning lights pop up and gone WTF.....

If I ever god help me have a mechanical over rev again, its take it home and tear the top end off.....new springs and pushrods at least. Good Day, it was not the springs, not the cam, not the pushrods fault they were not designed to be at 700 h.p. and 10000 rpm...... it was just a nightmare.

Last edited by christianchevell; 05-21-2015 at 07:45 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
How many miles after the money shift did it come apart? And looking back, from the time of the money shift to the grenade, do you feel it was running correctly?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
How did it save your life
Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I cannot read that at all. I tried. So hard. I failed.

I'm trying to figure out how a car cutting you off requires an immediate downshift. It requires immediately slamming on your brakes. Your car has an electronic throttle body and will not stall out going from 80 to 15 mph in 5th gear. There is no need to downshift. It sounds like the OP got pissed and tried to road rage around the driver. This is the result.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
The 3 musketeers have been reunited again.
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I tried reading it. I got lost after the fourth line.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
ratfinkharley

Drives: 15 JKU, 00 S10, 73 Vette, 12 JK
Always someone else's fault.

RotoFab CAI - VMaxx Ported TB - Apex Catch Can - CFD Shifter - Choppers Inc Loaded Dice Shift Knob
ratfinkharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
M0dnar
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Corvette 3LT with Z51
This month Camaro drivers have learned it's not safe to downshift to 2nd while doing 100+ and 85+. Join us next month when Camaro drivers find out if it's safe to downshift to 2nd while doing 65+...
M0dnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
chuckstacamaro

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS BRM Purchase 03/19/2014
I guess the computer Rev Limiter was Turned Off?
chuckstacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstacamaro View Post
I guess the computer Rev Limiter was Turned Off?
Rev limiter can't stop mechanical over rev.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #11
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
SO I had written a novel to go with this but it deleted itself,
Whew.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
What a story! Sounds like you have a very nice back plan, and am glad nobody was hurt. Now, I'm going to go practice with my stick now...
Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #13
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
This is the third one in the last couple weeks.

I'm still not sure how you mistake 2nd for 4th. Even if, in a fit of excitement, you thought you were in the correct position, the tranny is going to require more force to push the shifter into position. The lower the gear (versus the higher the speed of the car), the more force needed. At those speeds, the amount of force needed to force the car into second should have been a giveaway that you're not in 4th before you ever engage the clutch.

You would have to allow yourself to be completely 'out of tune' with the car to think the feel of a downshift to 2nd was actually 4th.

All that said, I'm knocking on wood as I type this . . .
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
A 428 going in there, isn't that going to blow the rest of your drive train? I didn't think the SS was strong enough to handle much more than 500hp.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote