Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
At the Texas Mile I was wanting to do a conventional type burnout prior to running the mile. I wasn't interested in going through the line lock procedure and simply wanted to apply the brakes and do a standard burnout. To accomplish that, I held down the traction control button for 7 seconds until I got both lights. I was also in Race mode.

As soon as the tires began to spin, the traction control would limit the spin by cutting throttle (or timing or whatever method used to limit acceleration). Tried quite a few times and COULD NOT burnout with both lights on.

Eventually, I tried the burnout with only the 1st light on and to my surprise the burnout went great.

Is my car not working correctly? I thought when both lights were burning there would be no nanny preventing the burnout. That's absolutely not true with my car.
No idea! 7 seconds is supposed to turn every nanny OFF. But I've never tried a burnout under those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Same as corvette. Single light equal’s burn out. This has been a issue for years in the C7. Too dang confusing.
So odd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
I was under the impression this was the opposite. You're making me doubt myself though.

The high speed tests I recall seeing I thought were out before much was really known about the 1LE capabilities. In these tests the auto ZL1 went 200+ while the M6 was still a bit shy (190s).

My understanding was the drag created by the aero in the 1LE alone would prevent it from getting too far beyond 175, and the gearing difference didn't help.

P.S. The ring was incredible from my standpoint too.
This is true/untrue.

So, the standard manual ZL1 cannot reach its top speed. 6th gear is limiting, for fuel economy. The auto ZL1 can do it because of so many danged gear ratios. I think it hits 200 in 8th gear...

The ZL1 1LE had 6th gear revised, so the car CAN reach it's top speed, by putting the engine in the power band. That top speed will not be 200 mph. But the aero on the car is less drag-inducing that one might thing, because the biggest component is the wing, not a "spoiler". On the main straight of the Nordschleife, ZL1 auto hit 181mph, and ZL1 1LE hit 173. So figure, ZL1 has another 20mph in it, and ZL1 1LE probably 12-15mph.

Anyways, this is more about a "real person" putting a factory car through it's paces, and what an amazing run that was. Didn't mean to thread-jack! Gives me hope for this coming summer, now that I'm familiar with the car!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #30
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTBY View Post
Well guys, I present this to you with humility. Bottom line - I'm in awe at the machine that GM has built in the ZL1 1LE. The video below was taken today, and the car was in 100% stock trim with only recommended fluid changes and GM spec alignment. And it still has the stock seats and seat belts.

I won't go into all the details as to why I did not think this car would be this capable, but I'm very happy to say that it is an absolute missile in the right hands. Novice drivers need not apply.

I am now going to be installing proper seats and harnesses in it so that I can feel safer going around the track at warp speed.

This is a video of my good friend and Spec E30 champion Rob Eskew driving the car (solo) late in the day and he ran a 1:30.19!

I was unable to get many clean laps due to traffic, and I was taking multiple passengers out (the paddock was full of people wanting to take a ride) who all screamed with excitement as I took them around Road Atlanta at warp speed (I was driving 9/10ths with a 200 lb passenger and still went a 1:33).

Stay tuned to this thread for an update when we go 1:29s!

Shout out to Markert Motorworks for all that they do for me!

Jason,

It was AWESOME to meet you last weekend at RA and I really enjoyed running with you and watching you haul ass around the track! You were tearing it up in our Advanced group all weekend!!

As you said, the ZL1 1LE is an absolutely amazing car right out of the box. Going to take me another trip (or two) at Road Atlanta to get down to 1:30 or 1:31 - but the way you were driving and RA being your home track I do think you will get that 1:29 hero lap your next time out. Post it up when you do!

For some reason my Harry's wasn't clicking at the start/finish line each lap so I have a bunch of lap times that are combining two and sometimes three or more laps together. Frustrating. But Sunday afternoon I have a group of laps with a sector best time at 1:34.11 and a max speed of 163.7MPH and a 104.8MPH average. I need to get the PDR chip out of the car and downloaded and see what my actual best was on Sunday.

I do promise to post some longer PDR videos when I can, including the session with the GT350R spinning out right in front of us coming out of Turn 7. Damn that was a fun session!! I think I'll have some great video of you terrorizing the rest of the field.....you were carving it up good out there!

Hope to see you again at Road Atlanta sometime. You need to make the trip to Road America next year.....let me know if you are ever headed up this way.

Take care, get some seats and harnesses in that car and go get that 1:29!!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #31
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Jason,

It was AWESOME to meet you last weekend at RA and I really enjoyed running with you and watching you haul ass around the track! You were tearing it up in our Advanced group all weekend!!

As you said, the ZL1 1LE is an absolutely amazing car right out of the box. Going to take me another trip (or two) at Road Atlanta to get down to 1:30 or 1:31 - but the way you were driving and RA being your home track I do think you will get that 1:29 hero lap your next time out. Post it up when you do!

For some reason my Harry's wasn't clicking at the start/finish line each lap so I have a bunch of lap times that are combining two and sometimes three or more laps together. Frustrating. But Sunday afternoon I have a group of laps with a sector best time at 1:34.11 and a max speed of 163.7MPH and a 104.8MPH average. I need to get the PDR chip out of the car and downloaded and see what my actual best was on Sunday.

I do promise to post some longer PDR videos when I can, including the session with the GT350R spinning out right in front of us coming out of Turn 7. Damn that was a fun session!! I think I'll have some great video of you terrorizing the rest of the field.....you were carving it up good out there!

Hope to see you again at Road Atlanta sometime. You need to make the trip to Road America next year.....let me know if you are ever headed up this way.

Take care, get some seats and harnesses in that car and go get that 1:29!!
Definitely want to see that.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #32
POINTBY

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Thanks, man! I enjoyed meeting you, and your lovely wife!

I’ll definitely make a trip up to Road America next year. But only if you come along!

Wow on your 163 mph! We could only muster 156 mph on the back straight.
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #33
2010REDSS

Quote:
Thanks, man! I enjoyed meeting you, and your lovely wife!

I’ll definitely make a trip up to Road America next year. But only if you come along!

Wow on your 163 mph! We could only muster 156 mph on the back straight.
I'll be making up my 2018 track schedule sometime between now and the end of the year, and I'll send you some details. I expect to get to Road America at least four weekends next year, would be great to see you there, you will love that track!

Good news was I kept my foot in it long enough to hit 163.....bad news was I completely overcooked 10A. My buddy riding with me was like....

Good times in an awesome car. Take care.
Attached Images

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #34
POINTBY

Hahahaha!!!

You must have stayed in it WAY past the brake zone.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #35
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Quote:
Hahahaha!!!

You must have stayed in it WAY past the brake zone.
Yea 163 mph is moving down the hill. I think Rob braked a little to soon from watching your video 100 times. He seemed to brake prior to the little bump at the sign on the right. Use to be a Tudor sign but they have changed many since my last visit this past spring.

Also wonder if there is a way we can fix the mic for the PDR system. They must of designed it for window up driving.

Got my car alignment done today and brake fluid flushed. Weather is looking like we are going to have a great weekend.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #36
POINTBY

I’ll likely be taking the ZL1 back out on Sunday.

And I agree on the microphone and windows being down. And that brings up a question about the Ring time - does the car go faster with windows up versus windows down??
Old 11-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #37
ZL1 1LmE

Drives: ZL1.
Awesome run and a great video.

I looked on line at the Road Atlanta track record and found the link below. So it looks like that run matched Randy Pobst's time in a Z06/C7?

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/road-atlanta

2013 Gen 5 Viper GTS
https://youtu.be/CI9IJNYG07c

2013 Scion FRS
https://youtu.be/TpmKp3pTLcw

Chevy Colorado Trailhawk

04 SVT Cobra (sold)
ZL1 1LmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #38
POINTBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LmE View Post
Awesome run and a great video.

I looked on line at the Road Atlanta track record and found the link below. So it looks like that run matched Randy Pobst's time in a Z06/C7?

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/road-atlanta
I just watched the Tommy Milner 1:29.8 lap in a C7 Z06. He was driving an A8 and he had the windows up which has got to improve lap times! And he had traction control turned completely off and we think that’s worth at least (1) second alone.

We are going to match his time with a manual Camaro and windows down! ‘Merica!

https://youtu.be/VmrPPBrZZ7c

Last edited by POINTBY; 11-23-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #39
ZL1 1LmE

Drives: ZL1.
Quote:
I just watched the Tommy Milner 1:29.8 lap in a C7 Z06. He was driving an A8 and he had the windows up which has got to improve lap times! And he had traction control turned completely off and we think that’s worth at least (1) second alone.

We are going to match his time with a manual Camaro and windows down! ‘Merica!

https://youtu.be/VmrPPBrZZ7c
Wow, never saw this video before. I really liked the commentary.

Looking forward to your next runs...good job

2013 Gen 5 Viper GTS
https://youtu.be/CI9IJNYG07c

2013 Scion FRS
https://youtu.be/TpmKp3pTLcw

Chevy Colorado Trailhawk

04 SVT Cobra (sold)
ZL1 1LmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #40
POINTBY

It's going to be a long winter while waiting anxiously for good track conditions and weather for the sub 1:30 time. I'm not rushing to put seats in the car just yet. I want to run the 1:29 or quicker in 100% stock form, then I'll install proper seats/harnesses.

My local Discount Tire has (2) sets of Supercar 3R tires sitting in their climate controlled room waiting on me! Love those guys. I'm certainly going to make it a point to go through them next year.

I'm planning to do several Road Atlanta and Barber events next year with the car. So if any of you guys would like to join along let me know and I'll send you a few dates.

Cheers!

Last edited by POINTBY; 12-12-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #41
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
subscribed.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #42
Flash ZL1 1LE

Do you guys use no lift shift?
Flash ZL1 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote