Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #43
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Every detailing job is different from one another, some need to be wet sand, some don't. Some need compounding with wool or foam pads or some need a paint job because the paint can't be save.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #44
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebabycheech2012 View Post
No its not our only philosophy. .. relax first of all we don't know how bad the first post is with the swirls as far as we know it could be in his paint... I'll admit I'm wrong we say it as a business way to tell them we will aren't going to put a wheel on the paint if the starches are too deep but here's some of the wrong work we put out.... I think you can't beat those shine Attachment 592174Attachment 592175Attachment 592176Attachment 592177Attachment 592178

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The paint looks pretty flat there, but what about pictures in direct sunlight that show the actual condition? Everything looks good in the shade...
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #45
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
In the interest of education and nothing more... I used to travel to body shop's and train their personal as a side business when I detailed... www.belladetailing.com.

You would be amazed at how low the quality of work is from most body shops, even those with a stellar reputation. It is what it is. I am going to dissect your post, only in the interest of education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebabycheech2012 View Post
I work for a professional detail shop the newer chemicals that are out on the market now are polish , compound is in the past...
Compounds are a term used for aggressive polishes. Modern compounds AND modern polishes use highly advanced polishing granules (abrasive grains). They are basically the same thing as liquid sandpaper.

Quote:
best way is to wet sand because the Polish only covers up for a short time..
Wet sanding is an aggressive method that is most often used to level orange peel. Yes you can sand away swirl marks, but the scratch pattern from the sandpaper is going to be deeper, coarser and still require "compounding".

Some polishes, particularly those used by body shops are designed to fill in paint defects. Sadly, most body shops do not realize that a polish (or a compound) is nothing more than abrasive grains suspended in a solution. It really is liquid sandpaper.

The only difference is instead of sticking the abrasives to a piece of paper, they are suspended in a slurry. This allows much finer abrasives to be used, some are finer than 10,000 grit, which is why you can achieve a perfect, long-lasting finish.

The key here is educating the body shops that their methods are wrong as well as educating them on what a polish really is.

Quote:
The shop has been in business for 32 years we are obv doing something right so..
Sadly, there are body shops that have been in business for 40 years, whose only source of education is what vendors tell them and as well as incorrect terminology.

Both a polish and wetsanding accomplish the same thing: removing paint via abrasive friction. A polish, when used correctly, can leave a scratch pattern that is in the 20-30k range, far finer than our human eye can see.

Quote:
we tell customers to get it wet sanded if you really want them gone but for temporary polish n wax but the clear coat on these newer cars are very thin be careful. ..
Sadly there are plenty of polishes that are not temporary and your business could be doing a lot of harm to a lot of nice cars by not understanding this.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #46
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrichic View Post
Let me tell you it's a process and a bitch to keep up. Have my Black 2010 since then and always polishing it to keep it up. To start try and rinse car well before washing. Only use a micro fiber hand rag to clean. If possible try and blow dry most of the water off. The less you wipe it the better. Thats your every day stuff to help it from happening. To get the swir5 out your going to need a polisher. I've tried both DA and Orbital. I personally like the orbital type. The DA type seem to leave marks from the dual action. So step by step
1st. Clay Bar the car with the White clay. This will get anything off the paint before polishing it.
2nd Fine Cut Polish I use XMT from Auto Geeks. Not to expen5 but a good product.
3rd Ultra Fine Cut Polish same XMT brand
4th Glazing Polish same XMT Brand want to use same brands as they are design to use in a sequence.
5th and Last Canuba Wax I use a 3M product

Like I said it's a process. All day infact and messy. Need to blue tape moldings and jam off so polish doesn't get in all of those. Lastly try and air blow car off and keep inside. The less you wash it the better it will last. Every time you wipe it off you'll create swirl.
Attachment 590729
+1
Great advise. My car is black as well.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #47
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Well said Todd!!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #48
1LE Captain

Drives: 2014 Red Rock 2SS 1LE RS NPP
I just picked up some Adams orange Paint Correcting Polish and the white Paint Finishing Polish, used the Adams ornage and white foam pads with a Flex DA and had excellent results on my wifes Infinity M37x. Followed it up with Sonax Polymer Net Shield. Car looks like it came off the showroom floor.

My new Red Rock 1LE goes next.
1LE Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #49
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Captain View Post
I just picked up some Adams orange Paint Correcting Polish and the white Paint Finishing Polish, used the Adams ornage and white foam pads with a Flex DA and had excellent results on my wifes Infinity M37x. Followed it up with Sonax Polymer Net Shield. Car looks like it came off the showroom floor.

My new Red Rock 1LE goes next.
Awesome, Net Shield is absolutely fantastic.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #50
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Really makes no sense for him to wet sand cars I mean your wasting your time and customers money if your adding extra steps. The new 2 step processes out could save you major work time I suggest you look a little deeper into this you may find new methods/products that work better for ya.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #51
Thebabycheech2012

Drives: 2010 ss2 l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
The paint looks pretty flat there, but what about pictures in direct sunlight that show the actual condition? Everything looks good in the shade...
Here's the best I can do with in a sun picture. .. sorry don't have that kind of time on my hands we are on the east coast so it's about 3 pm at the time when this picture was taken the car is facing west...

Thebabycheech2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #52
Thebabycheech2012

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
Does she has any swirls?
lol yea on her ass i buffed that dw
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #53
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
best way to remove swirl marks?

Best way to remove swirls= learn the proper way to clean / care for the paint as to not create them. EOL= end of lesson.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #54
Thebabycheech2012

Agreed ^