Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #99
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
that carppy IRS???

I was thinking the same thing.
I love the IRS
Old 03-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #100
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post

I love the IRS
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #101
TheStigsFatAmericanCousin
Bloody Pikey

Drives: Camaro
Location: Some say, that I'm a CIA experiment that's gone wrong, and that I only eat cheese...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
I don't see the displacement going down until the 6th Gen. Just my prediction.

I would meet you in the middle. How about a 12 bolt with IRS and 4:11 gears? You can keep the rock crusher
I like the way you think!!!

Quote:
that carppy IRS???
Quote:

I love the IRS
Sorry - I was being sarcastic
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #102
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsFatAmericanCousin View Post
I like the way you think!!!

Sorry - I was being sarcastic

Ah gotcha I see it now
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #103
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
If GM wants to target the GT500, they need to put something besides the LSA in the car. The GT500 will dyno near 500hp at the rear wheels. This car needs an engine with forged internals that can be built for 700+ rwhp easily. The LSA does't fit that bill.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #104
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphWS6 View Post
If GM wants to target the GT500, they need to put something besides the LSA in the car. The GT500 will dyno near 500hp at the rear wheels. This car needs an engine with forged internals that can be built for 700+ rwhp easily. The LSA does't fit that bill.
The LS9 wouldnt be bad..except for the fact that it is built by hand and would raise the price of the Camaro too much.

The GT500 puts down closer to 470 at the wheels, not 500. Will the GT500 still be able to outrun it? probably, but it will be drivers race as both will be 6 sp manuals.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #105
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
The LSA features forged internals...the GT500 doesn't dyno that high....and why does it need to be built from the factory to handle that sort of power?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #106
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The LSA features forged internals...the GT500 doesn't dyno that high....and why does it need to be built from the factory to handle that sort of power?

The LSA makes 550hp without trying. GM could turn it up to 600 with a tune and boost adjustment. So where is the problem?
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #107
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

The LSA makes 550hp without trying. GM could turn it up to 600 with a tune and boost adjustment. So where is the problem?
or a slightly hotter cam.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #108
JusticePete

Is it really a HP contest? I own a Mustang and a Camaro. They are very different automobiles. The Mustang is much smaller maybe 80 or 85% the size of a Camaro. The rear seat in the Mustang is tiny by comparison. The Mustang is lighter. The Camaro is more comfortable. The Camaro has a state of the art IRS. The front sub-frame on the Camaro runs full on forward. The front sub-frame on the Mustang stops a foot short of that.

We have engineered complete suspension solutions for the Camaro and the Mustang, though we have not yet released the Mustang bits. Pedderised, they are both strong performers on the track. With similar RWHP the Mustang has a slight advantage do to weight.

Speaking of weight, we had to move the battery from under the hood to the trunk for weight distribution on the Mustang. That is stock on the Camaro. The advantage for OEM brakes goes to the Camaro. We did design a couple of chassis braces for the Mustang based on necessity and OE chassis design. We offer no chassis braces for the Camaro because there is no need for them.

Which is a better car? Tough question. The ride quality and vehicle dynamics for the IRS Camaro are a huge plus. A NBA coach cannot coach a player taller. He can teach them to compensate, but make the same player with the same skill set taller and they are better. The Mustang is lighter. That allows the driver to compensate for the three link rear.

Beating a whatever Mustang is not all about the engine. The Camaro has a fabulous ZETA chassis. We should be building the Z28 around the suspension, brakes and modest HP gains leveraging the strengths of the vehicle. If GM can take out a couple of hundred pounds with carbon or aluminum...
Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #109
TheStigsFatAmericanCousin
Bloody Pikey

Drives: Camaro
Location: Some say, that I'm a CIA experiment that's gone wrong, and that I only eat cheese...
Quote:
Ah gotcha I see it now

Quote:
Why? LSAs are putting down from about 450 (A6) through 500 RWHP (M6). Though it would be bad@$$ to have that potential, how many would really need it? How much more would that cost? If Z28 comes with about 500 RWHP stock, getting another hundred to the tire should be pretty dang easy, and it still keep most of the reliability/durability of the OEM pieces.

That's just me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
The LS9 wouldnt be bad..except for the fact that it is built by hand and would raise the price of the Camaro too much.

The GT500 puts down closer to 470 at the wheels, not 500. Will the GT500 still be able to outrun it? probably, but it will be drivers race as both will be 6 sp manuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
or a slightly hotter cam.
LS9?

Quote:

Quote:
Is it really a HP contest? I own a Mustang and a Camaro. They are very different automobiles. The Mustang is much smaller maybe 80 or 85% the size of a Camaro. The rear seat in the Mustang is tiny by comparison. The Mustang is lighter. The Camaro is more comfortable. The Camaro has a state of the art IRS. The front sub-frame on the Camaro runs full on forward. The front sub-frame on the Mustang stops a foot short of that.

We have engineered complete suspension solutions for the Camaro and the Mustang, though we have not yet released the Mustang bits. Pedderised, they are both strong performers on the track. With similar RWHP the Mustang has a slight advantage do to weight.

Speaking of weight, we had to move the battery from under the hood to the trunk for weight distribution on the Mustang. That is stock on the Camaro. The advantage for OEM brakes goes to the Camaro. We did design a couple of chassis braces for the Mustang based on necessity and OE chassis design. We offer no chassis braces for the Camaro because there is no need for them.

Which is a better car? Tough question. The ride quality and vehicle dynamics for the IRS Camaro are a huge plus. A NBA coach cannot coach a player taller. He can teach them to compensate, but make the same player with the same skill set taller and they are better. The Mustang is lighter. That allows the driver to compensate for the three link rear.

Beating a whatever Mustang is not all about the engine. The Camaro has a fabulous ZETA chassis. We should be building the Z28 around the suspension, brakes and modest HP gains leveraging the strengths of the vehicle. If GM can take out a couple of hundred pounds with carbon or aluminum...
That's a lot of cool information. What do you mean when the front subframe runs on full forward though?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #110
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Is it really a HP contest?
I agree with all your points but yes it has been a HP contest and Chevy has been the leader for some time now. Don't get me wrong though, I don't think for one second its the only thing that makes a car fast, just that the GM team has become accustomed to winning that aspect of the battle. It certainly makes me happy.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #111
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsFatAmericanCousin View Post
That's a lot of cool information. What do you mean when the front subframe runs on full forward though?
If you were to remove the front fascia on a G8 you would find almost no metal structure forward of the strut towers. A Camaro is built like a submarine where every opening is like a hatch surrounded by a bulkhead. Some of this is for style, but it all doubles for strength. Remove the front fascia on a Camaro and there is steel to the front. You can see the surround of steel like a bulkhead when you open the hood, but I digress.

Underneath the car the ZETA or ZETA II sub-frame runs mounts with six bolts -- three per side. All the functional elements of the front suspension are part of the sub-frame including the sway bar. On a Mustang, the sway bar is mounted beneath the radiator, but not connected to the front sub-frame. This leaves the steering rack mounted to the sub-frame and the front sway bar connect by endlinks but not connect by sub-frame. Adding a lattice style brace to the Mustang front sub-frame ties the sway bar to the sub-frame. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a HUGE difference in the feel and performance of the car. For the daily driver, the car jut feels like it is a better built automobile -- more solid and substantial -- and it is better built with the brace. For a performance driver, the front sub-frame just grew a foot, the sway bar becomes more efficient, the vehicle stays tight in a turn becoming more predictable without becoming unsettled over rough spots in the pavement.

At Pedders, we do not think the OEM guys are dumb. We think they are very bright and do a very good job of building within the constraints of the market. They have to build to suit the only driven to church on Sunday by a little old lady road feel and the Speed Racer I'm taking it to the track all while trying to meet a cabin noise level budget and a bean counter budget. We happen to have the luxury of selling premium parts at premium prices to enthusiast that love their cars. We like to think that if the engineers at GM or Ford could do what they wanted to do without budget constraints and built just for enthusiasts they would produce Pedders parts.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #112
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
If you were to remove the front fascia on a G8 you would find almost no metal structure forward of the strut towers. A Camaro is built like a submarine where every opening is like a hatch surrounded by a bulkhead. Some of this is for style, but it all doubles for strength. Remove the front fascia on a Camaro and there is steel to the front. You can see the surround of steel like a bulkhead when you open the hood, but I digress.

Underneath the car the ZETA or ZETA II sub-frame runs mounts with six bolts -- three per side. All the functional elements of the front suspension are part of the sub-frame including the sway bar. On a Mustang, the sway bar is mounted beneath the radiator, but not connected to the front sub-frame. This leaves the steering rack mounted to the sub-frame and the front sway bar connect by endlinks but not connect by sub-frame. Adding a lattice style brace to the Mustang front sub-frame ties the sway bar to the sub-frame. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a HUGE difference in the feel and performance of the car. For the daily driver, the car jut feels like it is a better built automobile -- more solid and substantial -- and it is better built with the brace. For a performance driver, the front sub-frame just grew a foot, the sway bar becomes more efficient, the vehicle stays tight in a turn becoming more predictable without becoming unsettled over rough spots in the pavement.

At Pedders, we do not think the OEM guys are dumb. We think they are very bright and do a very good job of building within the constraints of the market. They have to build to suit the only driven to church on Sunday by a little old lady road feel and the Speed Racer I'm taking it to the track all while trying to meet a cabin noise level budget and a bean counter budget. We happen to have the luxury of selling premium parts at premium prices to enthusiast that love their cars. We like to think that if the engineers at GM or Ford could do what they wanted to do without budget constraints and built just for enthusiasts they would produce Pedders parts.
very well said words... can we sticky single posts? ;-)
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote