Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #43
superdave 72

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 2SS Garnet Red
Camaro Sales Struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke76 View Post
I've had SEVEN Mustangs in my life, starting with a 67 289 4-bbl three spd Notchback, all the way up to a 2014 GT Premium Auto....My Ford dealer did NOT want to deal on a 2018...we had bought 5 vehicles from them. Drove to Houston to get the best deal from San Antonio Tx. Got a 2018 SS 2SS Garnet Metallic Red Clearcoat Auto, Kalahari Interior with EVERYTHING but the Sunroof. It's a MUCH better car than ANY of my later version Mustangs were. I would NOT have purchased it if it hadn't had all the visibility Nannies, crash avoidance, lane alert, etc., etc....I will say that the Mustang isn't THAT much better for visibility. I have NO issues with the looks of the car. It has the 20" wheel / Brembo Pkg. I've only got 2,000 miles on it so far, we will see how it stacks up. I NEVER drive my toys in the rain, ALWAYS garaged
, usually put about 6,000 yearly miles on them. My Sunny Day fun car. Just my two cents....
superdave 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #44
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Maybe.

GM's expectations were to sell 30,000 Camaros a year and they would be happy.

So by selling almost 40,000 they have exceeded their expectations and are pleased with the success of the Camaro.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #45
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
On -ALL- Camaros, put a convex rear vue mirror on the left side of the car, similar to the right one. This would help a lot when merging, etc.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #46
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Its not rocket science price is playing a big part in the sales decline imho. Give you an example in Canada the hot wheels edition will set you back 62k. Add in tax’s your into this car for over 70k. Ridiculous.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2018, 06:13 AM   #47
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Its not rocket science price is playing a big part in the sales decline imho. Give you an example in Canada the hot wheels edition will set you back 62k. Add in tax’s your into this car for over 70k. Ridiculous.
$62k Canadian is like $48,000 US? Sounds right

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #48
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I’m not a fan of the redesign, so I don’t feel bad. I think GM really missed the mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr9504 View Post
if it ain't broken...
The redesign has nothing to do with last month's sales numbers. There were very few 2019s even on dealers lots last month. So, those sales numbers are mostly the design that you all love so much.

The slow sales are due to something other than styling.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #49
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
$62k Canadian is like $48,000 US? Sounds right
And that is paying sticker which nobody does on a Camaro.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #50
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
The redesign has nothing to do with last month's sales numbers. There were very few 2019s even on dealers lots last month. So, those sales numbers are mostly the design that you all love so much.

The slow sales are due to something other than styling.
I disagree. Price point is one problem and the design is the 2nd.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #51
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This is a very insightful comment. I am one of those people who typically come back with advice to adjust mirrors (and get the SBZA/LCA/RCTA) to address the visibility concern and I tend to downplay it as it's inconsequential to me, but that doesn't mean I don't understand what people probably feel. It indeed is a cockpit-like experience overall.

However.

The Camaro is a sports car, and its high beltline, slit-like windows and low riding position are some of its trademark attributes that give it an absolutely amazing, unique exterior look and feel. Compromises were obviously made to achieve this.

I would be glad if Chevy lowered the beltline by 1" and raised the roof by 1" in gen 7, a larger trunk opening would also be very helpful... but I think giving the majority what they expect in terms of getting into and out of the car, visibility, back seats, trunk capacity is either impossible or would dilute the Camaro into a family sedan-like offering, nearly indistinguishable from the rest. I mean, which of you, apart from total geeks, could even tell one generic SUV from the other with all badging removed?

So my first point is that a balance is difficult to find, and shifting it would likely render the car un-Camaro.

The Camaro is a sports car, and I don't think anybody really needs it. We do try to shoehorn it into other roles, I have 3 kids who love filling the rest of the space while I drive, I can get groceries if needed, but at the end of the day, it is not what this car is for. Being a sports car, it comes with compromises in these 4 very areas, and that's okay with some and less okay with an increasing number of people.

The Charger or the Accord or even the Kia Stinger is a much better fit for those that value or require these things but still want to have a bit of exhilaration time to time, and I'm not sure this could or even should be resolved.

The Camaro is a sports car, while the market appears to be shifting away from the muscle and sports car and towards SUV's on the one hand and generic, autonomous hybrid/electric vehicles on the other. My hope is that the vast majority of younger people who don't want to drive in the first place would be served by autonomous cars and there remains a niche for car enthusiasts to enjoy. Heck, giving people who can't drive get a self-driving vehicle seems to be a win-win---they get to sip their lattes and swipe away on their phones all the time, and we get to enjoy much more predictable traffic patterns and less congestion.
Very well thought out post here. Just going to expand a bit on your comments.

1. It is very clear they put style over function in this car. I am pretty sure GM even said that the focus groups didn't want them to get rid of that. Now to me that is them listening a bit to much to the focus groups instead of the general public. Every single review of the Camaro at one points mentions the visibility. It IS an issue, it is one that is out there and when people hear about poor visibility, they go into a test drive/looking at the car with that preconceived notion. If they already have it in their head from every review they are going to believe it when they see it for themselves.

2. Yes a car like the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger is not needed. But people like me and others would try and shoehorn it into other roles. We know it won't be the easiest thing to live doing daily driver duties and we don;t expect it to excel at those things. My issue, is the car's primary competition, the Mustang does a much better job of it. the trunk is much larger, the visibility is better and there is more storage and in the right trim(for those of you who like specifics lol) offers the same/better performance. And even if its not optioned up, offers plenty of performance for most people. And what we all seem to forget is that the low end trims make up the majority of sales. The cars that are sold on style/look more than total performance.

3. Nothing to add.

4. Camaro is not a sports car but that's an argument for a different day hahah
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #52
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
strange,my last two cars were sports cars,nothing high end,but definately sports cars,and my 5th gen camaro is way better in terms of access/egress/trunk space and ride comfort.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #53
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
LOL

There are people with years of experience and knowledge on this very topic. It’s what they do for a living. It’s backed up by teams of data.

They also pay 100s of millions to ad agencies who are also EXPERT in this very topic.

If GM thought they could be profitable with more advertising they would do it.

Sorry but I know people who know this and in this case you are not correct.

Won’t argue they might sell a few more cars but if they sold 1,000 more Camaros at a couple let’s assume $5,000 (that would be HUGE) profit that’s $5,000,000 more profit. Making a commercial would cost that much and then air time on top would make this proposition a huge money loser. Your theory only works if they could sell 10s of thousands more cars and GM knows a TV commercial won’t do that.

LOL...thats what politicians think too....they think they all know what works because they have been relected 5 times but the problems are all still there.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #54
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
1. Bad word of mouth from owners due to chronic transmission issues, windshield fogging, etc have likely put a hurt on '18 sales. GM also chopped production rate and dealers no longer have the variety required to sell the packages buyers are looking for.

2. The '19 facelift is a face only a mother could love and or a face for radio (ads).

3. From the 2 items above, there hasn't been any favorable press for Camaro since the launch of the '17 ZL1. Even the '18 ZL1 1LE was given stern warnings that the car wasn't made for the road and should only be on the track. All other press about Camaro for the last 2 years has been about the issues with '16-'17 SS models and laughing at the '19 facelift.

When loyal repeat owners, news media and social media all have the same negative reaction -- there is little hope for strong sales from new or repeat consumers.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #55
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Another year or two of these type sales numbers and GM corporate finance will kill this car. GM has no real winners right now, that they can afford to carry this car as a halo/nostalga unit. IMO....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
1. Bad word of mouth from owners due to chronic transmission issues, windshield fogging, etc have likely put a hurt on '18 sales. GM also chopped production rate and dealers no longer have the variety required to sell the packages buyers are looking for.

2. The '19 facelift is a face only a mother could love and or a face for radio (ads).

3. From the 2 items above, there hasn't been any favorable press for Camaro since the launch of the '17 ZL1. Even the '18 ZL1 1LE was given stern warnings that the car wasn't made for the road and should only be on the track. All other press about Camaro for the last 2 years has been about the issues with '16-'17 SS models and laughing at the '19 facelift.

When loyal repeat owners, news media and social media all have the same negative reaction -- there is little hope for strong sales from new or repeat consumers.
SOOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!

The Camaro design team and General Motors are weak... last week. They need new blood and new ideas.

The facelift SUCKS! NOTHING wrong with the 6th Gen the way it was.

The color pallet SUCKS! Let's face it, the selection of color for vehicles SUCKS!

The people choosing the available colors have passed their primes. When they do get cool colors like Syngergy Green, Krypton Green, Crush, Aqua Blue Metallic, etc they make them limited runs.

Whoever is the head of GM should start cleaning house and get some fresh faces with new ideas.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #56
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Do you guys really think sales figures alone have any impact on whether or not a car is doing well?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote