Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #85
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearCaddy View Post
I see 284.7 miles traveled, an average speed of 40 mph, and average fuel economy of 30.7 mpg. What more usable data is there?

None of the data is usable because it is a partial fill-up. No calculations, no conditions, no nothing to support anything at all. It is useless.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #86
Bobkd

Drives: 2018 1ss, 2021 silverado HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
None of the data is usable because it is a partial fill-up. No calculations, no conditions, no nothing to support anything at all. It is useless.
The only thing wrong is that he is relying on the car to calculate his fuel economy. It is probably in the 29-29.5 mpg range. Partial fill-ups won't change the mpg, only the total range.
Bobkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #87
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
You're ignoring everything else I said, which is critical.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #88
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
I don't know why there's all this scuttlebutt over mileage.

We're all Camaro owners and we all love our cars.

Mileage definitely varies depending on conditions and driving habits.

Why "call people out" over their mileage claims???

Can't we just all get along???

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #89
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I think GM would have loved to claim 30 mpg highway for the SS. Hell, even 27 mpg would have been great (for the m6). Mileage under different conditions will vary, but there's only so much you're gonna get, unless you're going downhill in neutral. When someone claims 5-6 mpg over the manufacturer's claim, it should raise questions about their methodology.

If I was getting that type of mileage on the highway, I'd expect a lot of questions without getting defensive. The skepticism would be totally understandable.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 09-25-2018 at 06:02 PM.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #90
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I think GM would have loved to claim 30 mpg highway for the SS. Hell, even 27 mpg would have been great (for the m6). Mileage under different conditions will vary, but there's only so much you're gonna get, unless you're going downhill in neutral. When someone claims 5-6 mpg over the manufacturer's claim, it should raise questions about their methodology.

If I was getting that type of mileage on the highway, I'd expect a lot of questions without getting defensive. The skepticism would be totally understandable.
Many people do significantly better w/ MTs vs what's on the label, I can usually get 4-5 mpg better. I think EPA testing procedure for MTs is not necessarily the most efficient way to drive the car, maybe not even close!

With a V8 using variable valve timing, where you can cruise around under 2k rpms all day long if you want to, I'd assume a very wide spread of fuel economy using a MT.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #91
GearCaddy

Drives: 2016 2SS Nightall Gray
OP, you’ve received a lot of feedback as to what other owners are experiencing. Do you have any updates? Has your highway mpg continued to decline?

I have no idea how the EPA measures city versus highway mpg, nor do I care. I also have no desire to manually track mileage and gallons. If the computer reports that my last 120 miles came in at 32 mpg, great. Is it an exact measurement? Is it likely in the ballpark?

While I didn’t buy it for its mpg ability, it is a nice feeling when you look down and see any average in the 20s or 30s for the SS, on that can we all agree?!?!?!
GearCaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #92
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearCaddy View Post
I have no idea how the EPA measures city versus highway mpg, nor do I care.
A fascinating topic in itself:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-mpg-estimates

My main interest in this topic is not to call anyone out, but to try to figure out the reported discrepancies. The methodology employed by the trip computers is pretty basic and sounds good to me.

Probably the top 2 factors which contribute to fuel economy are displacement and vehicle weight.
So those doing frequent fill-ups that keep the tank less than half-full will have better fuel economy than those driving with a full tank.
And a quick comparison with the member who posted about 40 mpg for the V6 shows this predicted economy for the V8 (based only on displacement):
3.6/6.2 x 40 mpg = 23.2 mpg

23.2 is a number I can hit if I try, even over extended drives.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #93
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
A fascinating topic in itself:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-mpg-estimates

My main interest in this topic is not to call anyone out, but to try to figure out the reported discrepancies. The methodology employed by the trip computers is pretty basic and sounds good to me.

Probably the top 2 factors which contribute to fuel economy are displacement and vehicle weight.
So those doing frequent fill-ups that keep the tank less than half-full will have better fuel economy than those driving with a full tank.
And a quick comparison with the member who posted about 40 mpg for the V6 shows this predicted economy for the V8 (based only on displacement):
3.6/6.2 x 40 mpg = 23.2 mpg

23.2 is a number I can hit if I try, even over extended drives.
That link was a very good read. I'll run some tests on the highway to see what I get the next time I take long trip. This time I'll deliberately run it in 6th at 65 and under and check it the old fashioned way. I seriously doubt I'm going to hit 30 mpg. I see 25-27 as the max.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #94
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
"Nice to see another poster showing 32.6 mpg over the course of traveling 561.6 miles. All of this is very believable to me based on personal experience. I hover in the 30 mpg range when the majority of a trip is highway 60-70 mph."

Thank you. Apparently, either 2 posters here can't think, or they have a case of "sour grapes" syndrome.
The weekend, I drove a 500 mile trip. Filled up abt half way through, and did the calcs on a piece of paper. 30.7 was what I got, rounded off.
30.9 was indicated on the display.
BIG DEAL, THE DISPLAY WAS OFF 0.200 !!!
What a "crime" !!!!

As for math capability, my day job is figuring out sag calculations to the MICRON for test plate inventory expansion in an optical shop. Did all the calcs for a plane I built back in '87. Could go on.....
I haven't seen any capabilities displayed by the 2 guys who are full of negative comments, so their so called "inputs/comments" carry no weight to me at all.

Other tidbits, I noticed a slight mileage drop when going to a set of non- runflats, and a slight decrease when cooler weather arrived. A slight increase when using an injector cleaner once/month. Just things I notice.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote