The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #1
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
ford GT Configurator is live

https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/...top-hp-ford-gt

this thing is so nice....
Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
And it looks like the way Ford is dealing with ADM on it is that you're buying it directly from Ford..the dealer is just acting as a transfer agent.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
OMG that car is gorgeous!!!!
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
im glad they seem to be offering it in that blue that they debuted the car in.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
I have a friend who just sent in his application for one. He's a p1 owner and owns hundreds of fords for his company so I'd say he's got a decent chance of getting once
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
It's been almost a year and a half since reveal and there are no weight or power numbers? What the hell is taking Ford so long?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Mattte black looks sick, straight bat mobile
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It's been almost a year and a half since reveal and there are no weight or power numbers? What the hell is taking Ford so long?
A better question is: why did they reveal it so early?

The car shown in Detroit last year was nowhere near a finished car. It was little more than a concept. And even back then, I believe they were saying it wouldn't be available until late 2016 -close to 2 years after the unveil. Half that time is generally considered a long wait, while a quarter of that is fairly reasonable. About the only thing I can think of is that they wanted to take the car racing this year, and the 2016 Detroit Autoshow is too close to the 24 Hours of Daytona to have unveiled it this year. And since its a Halo car for not only Ford but their Ecoboast line of engines I'm sure it was unthinkable to them to have unveiled it anywhere other than Detroit. So that means putting it centre stage in Detroit 2015, giving everybody an agonizingly long rollout for the car.

At any rate, to more directly respond to your question .... whats the point in giving out all the specs ~6 months before anyone can actually buy it anyway? Then again, that question is pretty much a philosophical one with regards to the new GT. At 250 per year, a GT is going to be only slightly more common than a unicorn. No matter what the specs are or when they're released, demand will grossly outpace supply for its entire production run.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
I have a friend who just sent in his application for one. He's a p1 owner and owns hundreds of fords for his company so I'd say he's got a decent chance of getting once
I think order-applications were only for the first 500 cars, first two years production.

This isnt just USA that the orders are for, its world wide, so even owning hundreds of Fords may not be enough pull...

I also think current FGT owners go to the top of the list.
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

The car shown in Detroit last year was nowhere near a finished car. It was little more than a concept. And even back then, I believe they were saying it wouldn't be available until late 2016 -close to 2 years after the unveil. Half that time is generally considered a long wait, while a quarter of that is fairly reasonable. About the only thing I can think of is that they wanted to take the car racing this year, and the 2016 Detroit Autoshow is too close to the 24 Hours of Daytona to have unveiled it this year. And since its a Halo car for not only Ford but their Ecoboast line of engines I'm sure it was unthinkable to them to have unveiled it anywhere other than Detroit. So that means putting it centre stage in Detroit 2015, giving everybody an agonizingly long rollout for the car.

At any rate, to more directly respond to your question .... whats the point in giving out all the specs ~6 months before anyone can actually buy it anyway? Then again, that question is pretty much a philosophical one with regards to the new GT. At 250 per year, a GT is going to be only slightly more common than a unicorn. No matter what the specs are or when they're released, demand will grossly outpace supply for its entire production run.

Because they can? It's not like you can buy one anyway and they few people in the world who will actually get one probably don't mind us all salivating over their supercar release.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I'm not a Ford Guy, but that thing is pretty sick! Too much $$$ for most people though.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
SpeedIsLife

Quote:

Why was the Camaro concept revealed 3 years before the production models hit the lots?

It was revealed in January of 2006, announced it was going into production based on the concept in August of 2006 and didn't make it into customers hands until April of 2009.

So over 3 years from the concept and 2 and a half years from announcement of production based on that concept.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Why was the Camaro concept revealed 3 years before the production models hit the lots?

It was revealed in January of 2006, announced it was going into production based on the concept in August of 2006 and didn't make it into customers hands until April of 2009.

So over 3 years from the concept and 2 and a half years from announcement of production based on that concept.
The difference is, there were 0 plans to actually build the Camaro before the concept was shown. The overwhelming reaction to the Camaro is what convinced GM to actually make it happen. But when the concept was being designed, it was pretty much pure fantasy.

In contrast, Ford knew they were going to be making a new GT & taking it to La Mans for the 50th anniversary of their win long before anything was shown to the public.

And yes, it took a while for the Camaro to go from concept to production. But there was one other important date that you missed in your timeline: August 2008. Thats when the production car was shown to the public. 7 months from unveil to production is very reasonable.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #14
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
The difference is, there were 0 plans to actually build the Camaro before the concept was shown. The overwhelming reaction to the Camaro is what convinced GM to actually make it happen. But when the concept was being designed, it was pretty much pure fantasy.

In contrast, Ford knew they were going to be making a new GT & taking it to La Mans for the 50th anniversary of their win long before anything was shown to the public.

And yes, it took a while for the Camaro to go from concept to production. But there was one other important date that you missed in your timeline: August 2008. Thats when the production car was shown to the public. 7 months from unveil to production is very reasonable.
There's a different between "production ready concept" and "production" vehicle. Yes Ford had decided to make the GT, but they didn't point at the GT on the stage and say "we're building this exact car"..in fact I do believe their only comment of production was "Do you think we should build it? Okay we'll build it".

The "production" Ford GT was only spotted about 2 months ago. The Ford GT that was shown at the NAIAS in 2015 was a production capable concept, like the Buick concept that made all the waves back in January.
So it took 2 and a half years to go from concept, to production approval, to production prototype, and then an additional 9 months beyond that for it to make it into customers hands.

Hell the Challenger moved faster than the Camaro and it debuted at the same show. It went from concept, to approval, to deposits, to customer sales in just 2 and a half years.

I'm not saying that new cars don't take a long time from concept to production these days, what I am saying is that in the grand scheme of things, the Ford GT is moving pretty quick for being what it is.