The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #43
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Could you explain this for me please? Don't misunderstand, I'm not judging you or anything. I just don't know what you mean by this. I have no mods on my 1LE so it's at 429 or whatever stock at the crank. The only time I ever feel underpowered is at the track when I'm right up a cars rear bumper in a turn and then the same car pulls on me in the straight. Where on the street is 750 the right number?

Thanks
500 at the crank seems to be the max on street tires with no major suspension traction mods and maybe 600 with. Beyond 600 and the physics get a little crazy as the power moves beyond anything usable with street tires in 1/8 mi runs. I haven't seen 750 at the crank usable unless running "street drag radials" and/or doing a 60 -> 150mph pulls (/wave hellcat) and even then, most I've seen didn't do the traction suspension mods and were still unusable.

Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #44
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Here is how I base that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
500 at the crank seems to be the max on street tires with no major suspension traction mods and maybe 600 with. Beyond 600 and the physics get a little crazy as the power moves beyond anything usable with street tires in 1/8 mi runs. I haven't seen 750 at the crank usable unless running "street drag radials" and/or doing a 60 -> 150mph pulls (/wave hellcat) and even then, most I've seen didn't do the traction suspension mods and were still unusable.

No I don't think you are judging at all. I was just trying to understand really why chevy just can't break that Corvette Barrier.It's a lighter car with classically better traction and can give away power to us without losing.

As far as the horsepower , I have posted a thread previously, where many agreed that 650 at the wheels is about the most you can use. With modified suspension and the right tires you can maybe use 500 to 550 at the wheels----- from a dig. But at speeds above 30 or so and definitely 50- 60 you can use a lot more and the 650 at the wheels starting in second gear is certainly a big advantage. Not to mention bragging rights.

So I summary I basically agree with your assessment unless it's a roll race.(not that I am condoning street racing).

My 2013 1LE also stock feels slow to me, it definitely needs more power. I actually would consider the new 1LE if I can't afford the Zl1 except for two chevy screw ups.
Cant' get it in 2SS
and they didn't bump the horsepower. A 525 hp 1LE would be a great combo and intermediate car below the mighty ZL1

Jim