Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #981
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31B View Post
Unless I missed something I do not think we are talking about a stolen IPOD.
You didn't. He just can't read or comprehend. Again this is a don't feed the troll thing.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #982
David O

Drives: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Fame View Post
Wow... Basics... The dealership is NOT responsible for the car being stolen. Period. I just wonder how many folks have seen those signs at the dealerships... NOT Responsible for stolen items in your vehicles. This car was stolen, incident report given thru the police and it is an insurance claim with the owners insurance co. Period. How this got blown out of reality is beyond me. His insurance co. is the one to watch.. Do they settle reasonable? As far as the dealer being punished with all the negative publicity.. Unbelievable. Folks taking the wrong road to punish them. They had no more clue their employee would do this than I would if one of my tenants became a mass murderer. However since I was ran thru the wringer by bad press, my offer of 4k to the guy is well well well off the table. I have to service his vehicle as a GM dealer.
From what I've read, I may be wrong but someone in management let the employee who normally didn't have Sunday access to the secure vehicle storage to get a $5.00 phone charger or at least that's the story. The service writers best friend was in the vehicle at the time of the accident. One thing is clear, dealership management is in cover-up mode!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #983
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Wow... Basics... The dealership is NOT responsible for the car being stolen. Period. I just wonder how many folks have seen those signs at the dealerships... NOT Responsible for stolen items in your vehicles. This car was stolen, incident report given thru the police and it is an insurance claim with the owners insurance co. Period. How this got blown out of reality is beyond me. His insurance co. is the one to watch.. Do they settle reasonable? As far as the dealer being punished with all the negative publicity.. Unbelievable. Folks taking the wrong road to punish them. They had no more clue their employee would do this than I would if one of my tenants became a mass murderer. However since I was ran thru the wringer by bad press, my offer of 4k to the guy is well well well off the table. I have to service his vehicle as a GM dealer.
For most lawyers that fine print means just that , fine print
There are laws in the books that are enforced , those laws aren't made by the dealer in this case
Just let's say you have a car lot , and there are or may not some serious sink holes on the pavement
You post a sign saying ,,,,we are not responsible for the customers that may fall into it ,,,
Good luck with that
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #984
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutZL1 View Post
Wow, I puked up some first morning coffee when i saw this story... an hour later skimming thru the posts I've taken some action as we all should.

1. Blasted First State Chevrolet in Georgetown, DE on their own Facebook page.

2. Went to a different page and emailed them offering a straight up trade of my 2012 Black ZL1 with 3400 miles for a 2014 loaded Vette. Seems fair to me LOL

3. Put a link to the story on my FB page and asked all my friends to blast the dealer on his page.

Any business owner worth his salt steps up when this happens, takes ownership and says, "what can we do to make this right?" Have a conversation, if they say exact replacement, no problem. Find it or BETTER, not a couple thousand dollars less of a replacement! That is just plain STUPID.

This dealership should and will go out of business. Not because of anything we do here on Camaro5 but the choices they make in the day to day operation. Obvious "Stealership" found right there!

The site you blasted isn't theirs. It's a fake parody set up to make fun of them. They took theirs down. Haha. But since it's the only one and now comments aren't being deleted it's worse off that the company didn't keep theirs up.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #985
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

Drives: Camaro Sold
Quote:

You are assuming GM is doing something. OP tried to upset the applecart to get GM involved and the media for sympathy because his car was destroyed. He couldn't let well enough alone while negotiations were being done with his insurance co. while the dealership gave him a loaner car. He back stabbed the dealership and GM bringing this story to the media. He back stabbed anyone who is associated with GM. Yet some of you think this is right. I sure the hell don't. He tarnished all of GM. That one dealer doesn't operate any different than any other dealer. Yet he THINKS the public is going to demand something more than he is entitled to. I think not. What he done was make an ass out of himself to the world. He wasn't man enough to let it go and work one on one with his insurance co. but looking for a reason for making a name for himself. Boo hoo hoo. His big problem is HIS insurance co. That has nothing to do with the dealership. HIS insurance co. picked the car in which they wanted to make the settlement. Geico isn't going to get him a new car. They may buy him another, or tell him that is all they offer . Bank on it.
And you are assuming GM is not doing something. Page 38 post 933 suggests otherwise. If you don't know who he is, his name is Scott Settlemire and you can look him up.

Last edited by Devilfish; 01-12-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #986
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I believe you assume too much.

Read thru this thread once again. Lots of opinions -- but few based on the reality of Federal and/or State Laws (which we are mandated to follow) -- nor do you have all of the facts.

The difference (in this instance) between you and me (and I perhaps am wrong in assuming that you are referring to me by your statement about crickets ) is that you are a bystander. You do not have to answer to others in the case of this incident.

I'm not an attorney - so in cases like this, I do not opine.

I DO happen to know Mr. and Mrs. Hooper -- I've talked to them a few times in the past two weeks and I know how much they loved their ZL1.

Do not assume that GM is not aware of this issue.

Do not assume that GM is sitting back and doing nothing.

HOF you are someone I consider to be my friend though we have never actually met. I completely hear you about the entitlement generation. I deal with it daily. I agree there are some realities we as car owners have to face when it comes to the loss of value of our cars when we drive off the lot. I have been personally financially burned several times by total losses of pretty new vehicles & had to deal with pay-off of loans in excess of the amount insurance paid me for the loss of the vehicle.

HOWEVER, this situation is different in many ways. I have loved all my cars to some degree or other. But this one has become a member of the family in a way unlike any other I have ever owned. That is the experience of many folks on this forum. In addition to that, the OP bought a very high end Camaro which is much less commonplace than say my Camaro though perhaps not quite the collector level vehicle you have expertise with. Most of us on this forum buy the most Camaro we can afford then gradually put more into it. We treasure and baby them and do a lot to help further the sales of the cars by our love for them.

The OP entrusted his beloved Camaro to the dealership. An act of trust that makes most of us crenge and some avoid like the plague. We fear just unthinking acts like the time a tech leaned my tire against the fragile paint on the side of my car. Something he probably does daily and most folks don't mind. I MINDED! There are lots of stories about techs taking people's performance cars on joy rides under the guise of test driving them. Sometimes they have minor accidents. This is the only time I have heard of one being totaled. I am sure it is not the only time it has ever happened. The practice needs to be curtailed much more than it currently is at all dealerships. I am for sure not bashing all techs or GM service departments generally. My local dealership has a great service dept, but I still hang close by & watch because it only takes one unthinking, careless or like in this case totally irresponsible and werckless tech to mess up your car. I have great friends who are GM techs & whom I know would treat my car like it was their own baby. Having been in supervisory positions myself, I know that even the most trusted employee can do some surprisingly stupid things.

The dealership assumed responsibility for this guys beloved high end
Camaro and one of their employees took it out for a joy ride, droe it wrecklessly and destroyed it. They need to step up and make it right for the OP. In this case, that is just the right thing to do. Period.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #987
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HmBuilder2 View Post
Seeing how everyone is saying he can just take the insurance offer of 44K, And have the dealer eat the difference on a new car, People need to remember the op had his car financed,

Hence the insurance payment would go to the lien holder not the op. At which time the op is still on the hook for any balance due on the original car loan. now once all that was said and done, The op may have to take out another car loan at a higher payment, due to the fact that they do not have the two cars they traded to get their ZL1,

So Yes I do think that the dealer should just stand up and do the right thing,
There aren't many people here who are saying he should take the offer of 44K, that would be ludicrous in this situation. That's not even "Replacement Value". And so what if he financed part of the car? that's not the issue here. Most of you people arguing that he should take what he is offered are not in the OP's shoes? The Stealership is not attempting to make him whole in the least bit. Now GM has stepped in AND they will work at making Mr. Hooper whole...we will all wait to see what the results will be in the coming week.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #988
Schmo Z

Drives: IOM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O View Post
From what I've read, I may be wrong but someone in management let the employee who normally didn't have Sunday access to the secure vehicle storage to get a $5.00 phone charger or at least that's the story. The service writers best friend was in the vehicle at the time of the accident. One thing is clear, dealership management is in cover-up mode!

So was the member of management there to let him in and lock up afterwords? You think he would of said hey why are you taking the keys to Mr Hoopers car? What car is the charging in? I don't buy it.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #989
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Just because a dealership posts that they are not responsible for stolen items doesn't mean that they aren't. If they (dealership) works hard at earning your trust when it comes to making a 20k, 30k, 40, 50k, 60k, purchase...they better damn well show they will respect that purchase or they will end up shuttering the doors.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #990
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post

HOF you are someone I consider to be my friend though we have never actually met. I completely hear you about the entitlement generation. I deal with it daily. I agree there are some realities we as car owners have to face when it comes to the loss of value of our cars when we drive off the lot. I have been personally financially burned several times by total losses of pretty new vehicles & had to deal with pay-off of loans in excess of the amount insurance paid me for the loss of the vehicle.

HOWEVER, this situation is different in many ways. I have loved all my cars to some degree or other. But this one has become a member of the family in a way unlike any other I have ever owned. That is the experience of many folks on this forum. In addition to that, the OP bought a very high end Camaro which is much less commonplace than say my Camaro though perhaps not quite the collector level vehicle you have expertise with. Most of us on this forum buy the most Camaro we can afford then gradually put more into it. We treasure and baby them and do a lot to help further the sales of the cars by our love for them.

The OP entrusted his beloved Camaro to the dealership. An act of trust that makes most of us crenge and some avoid like the plague. We fear just unthinking acts like the time a tech leaned my tire against the fragile paint on the side of my car. Something he probably does daily and most folks don't mind. I MINDED! There are lots of stories about techs taking people's performance cars on joy rides under the guise of test driving them. Sometimes they have minor accidents. This is the only time I have heard of one being totaled. I am sure it is not the only time it has ever happened. The practice needs to be curtailed much more than it currently is at all dealerships. I am for sure not bashing all techs or GM service departments generally. My local dealership has a great service dept, but I still hang close by & watch because it only takes one unthinking, careless or like in this case totally irresponsible and werckless tech to mess up your car. I have great friends who are GM techs & whom I know would treat my car like it was their own baby. Having been in supervisory positions myself, I know that even the most trusted employee can do some surprisingly stupid things.

Camaro and one of their employees took it out for a joy ride, droe it wrecklessly and destroyed it. They need to step up and make it right for the OP. In this case, that is just the right thing to do. Period.
Well said Ruby

Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #991
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
Quote:

This took what I was trying To say into a full well said explanation. I usually approach the short and quick method. And I personally had no clue whom fbodfather was till I looked him up. Gm is involved for sure. That's obvious after I read whom he is.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #992
Hall of Fame

Drives: Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilfish View Post
And you are assuming GM is not doing something. Page 38 post 933 suggests otherwise. If you don't know who he is, his name is Scott Settlemire and you can look him up.

I have not read anywhere that GM has done anything. In fact I read it has been quite some time since this matter occurred. Update the thread right now if you know something that I don't. What has GM done? Like I said before.. it is an insurance claim thru Geico , which IS a fact.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #993
Devilfish
US Navy Chief

Drives: Camaro Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I believe you assume too much.

Read thru this thread once again. Lots of opinions -- but few based on the reality of Federal and/or State Laws (which we are mandated to follow) -- nor do you have all of the facts.

The difference (in this instance) between you and me (and I perhaps am wrong in assuming that you are referring to me by your statement about crickets ) is that you are a bystander. You do not have to answer to others in the case of this incident.

I'm not an attorney - so in cases like this, I do not opine.

I DO happen to know Mr. and Mrs. Hooper -- I've talked to them a few times in the past two weeks and I know how much they loved their ZL1.

Do not assume that GM is not aware of this issue.

Do not assume that GM is sitting back and doing nothing.
HOF, this is why I believe that GM is now involved. Being that Scott has a pretty good track record of keeping our community informed of what is happening at GM, I take this as a hint to the fact that GM is now getting involved.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #994
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:

Ruby, I love my Camaro same as anyone else, but I keep it in perspective that it's just a car. It can be replaced. That's why having the proper insurance coverage on a car of this type is so important.

I think what we've all failed to realize is that someone could have been seriously hurt or even killed as a result of this incident (even if it was caused by their own poor judgement). I think we all can agree it would have been a far bigger tragedy had there been the loss of life instead of just the loss of a car.

Last edited by hawk02; 01-12-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1