Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
SSmash

Drives: Mosaic Black Camaro 2SS
ZL1 Addons Tow Hook License Plate Mount

Thinking of purchasing the ZL1 Addons Tow Hook License Plate Mount, but was curious to see if anyone who has it would mind sharing their experience with it.

Has anyone experienced any rubbing from the license plate or screws on the bumper from wind pressure traveling at high speeds? I've noticed in a few youtube install videos that the top license plate bolts look REALLY close to the bumper.
SSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup but i added some double sided tape to the back of it between my bumper and it holds it just fine and only did screws on bottom not top and used velcro on it so i can take it off as i please
Old 12-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
HyperBlue16

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yup but i added some double sided tape to the back of it between my bumper and it holds it just fine and only did screws on bottom not top and used velcro on it so i can take it off as i please
Same, I don't think it would flex enough to touch in wind, but still just in case and i only did bottom 2 bolts also and i used a dark license plate cover & glued in plastic bolt ones i cut down in the top holes to make it look like bolted in all 4 spots.
HyperBlue16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
SSmash

NICE, thanks for the heads up everyone!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
make sure you tighten it very tight before installing your license plate and driving away, one of my friends said he didn't tighten it enough and the license plate turned and left a little less then an inch cut in his front bumper..
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
SSmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
make sure you tighten it very tight before installing your license plate and driving away, one of my friends said he didn't tighten it enough and the license plate turned and left a little less then an inch cut in his front bumper..
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup that is true and keep the tools in in your car so if u want to take it off and put on your tow hook or just remove it for a car show or photoshoot it takes like 5 minutes
Old 12-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Good addition to the car by all means. I used blue Loctite on the install, especially the license plate part. I did have some wind flex induced rubbing, but I just bent the plate frame out a small bit and called it a day. I'm not a critical as some since I get rock chips like crazy travelling a lot, but, if the plate touches the bumper, easy fix...flex it out, not the plate, the backing frame.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote