The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Br0

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i MSport
Exclamation Questions about Allocation system, timing of purchase....

Ok....to those that are very familiar with the allocation system:

This past Saturday i placed my order at a dealer in Houston that is supposed to be one of the larger volume corvette dealers in Texas. They were allotted around 40-45 vettes for the first round of allocations. They told me that they were most likely now on their second round of allocations because they had about 74 people on the list so far.

I put down my $1000 refundable deposit, will be paying MSRP and they placed my order in GM workbench and i recieved order number, etc.

Now, they told me since i'm prob on the second round of allocations, i will recieve my car NO LATER than June, 2014, but "most likely eariler than that." However, since then i have read that the first round of allocations should extend from 6-9 months from initial production starting....SO....

1. Does this mean that my dealer has allocations for 40 cars and those 40 will come in spread out over 6-9 months? So my order wont even be accepted by GM until the inital 6-9 months is over? And if so, why did he tell me 9 months at latest...it seems he is saying i will get within the first 6-9 month period?

2. IF i dont get my car until mid-end 2nd quarter 2014, do you guys think people will still be paying MSRP at that point? Spring/summer 2014 and still paying MSRP?

Basically, i feel as though i might be paying what people paid to get into the intial allocations, only to actually recieve my car after the intial allocations when it is easier to get anyway. But i also feel as though there may be running lists for a LONG while, so maybe it was a good idea to go ahead and get my name on the list now.

What are you guy's thoughts on this? All help MUCH appreciated!!
Br0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
The initial guide number was for the first 6-9 months of production, and I believe (remember I am not a GM employee) was based on building 12,000 units in that time period, therefore from 18,000 to 24,000 in the first model year.

It appears to me there has been a good demand, exceeding anticipated expectations, so the additional numbers have just been or are about to be released to fill the balance of the year. If true, that says to me the Corvette team is thinking demand will support about 30,000 units so the initial numbers will likely be built in four months not six to nine months.

As to what people are paying several months in the future: I have no idea.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Br0

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i MSport
Ok, so basically what you are saying is (to your best knowledge) that GM is seeing that demand is higher than expected, and the production numbers for 2014 model year (including intial and additional allocation groups to dealers) are a moving target that GM will adjust according to the demand they are seeing?

So GM may adjust 1st year production numbers higher, push those 1st rounders out quick in order to move to the 2nd round as soon as possible i guess.

The questions now is, will there be a "2nd round allocations" or after the 1st round dealers just simply move to the "normal ordering process with unlimited allocations"?
Br0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
There is not now, nor to my knowledge ever a legal, unlimited allocations time period.

Allocations are based on what a dealer has sold in the previous years. One dealer got an initial guide number of over 500 buils, most got 3-4 build and a few hundred got seven or more in their initial guide numbers. But no dealer got or will get an unlimited number though it may seem than some will.

And yes to what you stated in your first paragraph BrO.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote