Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #29
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Oh well, Chevy has ruined another track oriented Camaro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbanta1983 View Post
Exactly, the 1le was special in that it only came with manual..I love how the guys who like auto still use the paddle shifters, makes no sense
I'm a 'dyed in the wool' manual guy, but I'm not seeing how they are ruining anything. They are offering a potentially faster option for those that want it and they are still offering the manual. It's a win-win for all involved. For most drivers the auto will be the faster option at any track.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #30
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyfan4life View Post
Really?So you believe adding the A10 to the SS 1LE will water it down?
I have to agree with Bhobbs. Automatics necessarily distance the driver from the driving by some amount; you're at least potentially handing off some of what you used to do to the automation so that you don't have to do as much any more. Even paddle-shifting or nudging the floor lever back and forth between + and - isn't the same.

The term I might use would be "unnecessary refinement" over "watered down", but the intent is the same . . . that the 1LE will have lost something in the process.

Quote:
If i had a choice of the two transmissions.I would have picked the A10 over the 6sp in a heart beat....I like my 6sp but you can not out preform these modern A10's.
It's not always about the objective performance. Knowing that it's 100% on you to extract however much performance means something if you let it. You're only kidding yourself if you let yourself get excited over an automatic being able to shift better than you can.

Quote:
IF you really think its watering down the car just ask some ZL1 1LE owners with the A10.
That'd be asking for the opinions of people who actively chose the automatic in the first place. Wouldn't expect different.

Norm
Old 03-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #31
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
I wonder if we will be able to upgrade to wireless Android Auto?

Would be nice but I'll bet not.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #32
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
You curmudgeons are something else. Chevy's "ruined" the 1LE because the A10 will be an option? I guess so, because in 2021, if you want to buy a new 1LE, you will only be able to get it with an automatic. No matter how much you might want the manual, you will be forced (probably at gunpoint!) to get the auto. Oh...wait...no you won't:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
option[ op-shuhn ]: the power or right of choosing.
For all you track-time purists who want the highest-performing 1LE option, the A10 is in all likelihood faster on a road course or drag strip. Some back-to-back testing I've seen bears that out. And BTW, in every high-level category of road racing where it's allowed, semi-manual (the shifting is fully automated) is always chosen because it's faster and more reliable. Every. Single. Time.

Get a grip, people! You all are worse than the Corvette guys screaming about how their favorite car has been ruined now that it's a mid-engine car.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #33
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
  • The SS 1LE is widely recognized as a world class sports car. The A10 option can only enhance that.
  • The manual equipped SS 1LE is still available - for the purists
  • Automatic transmission equipped cars are faster than manual.
  • No conflict with heritage. The first, gen3, 1LEs came with an automatic transmission if the optional 5.7L was specified.

I don’t see the problem.

I owned an A8 SS and loved the driving experience. The shudder issues is the only reason I sold it.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
And the old people.
Be careful. For SOME old people, maybe.

I doubt that there's very many old people who really fit into this discussion. Most old people aren't shopping for Camaros (or Mustangs) to begin with, let alone looking into the top-handling trims within those nameplates.

For the record, my wife and I were both born in the late 1940's, and neither of us wants an AT even in the "family cars".

Norm
Old 03-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #35
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
I see they deleted the rally green and garnet red tintcoat colors.
Sorry, wasn't a fan of the rally green.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #36
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
And the 1LE watering down continues.
Same thing happened the first time around with the earlier generations of the 1Le , it started back in 1996 when they made AC standard on the 1Le package . The Gen 5 1Le will be known as the last great 1Le package, simply because of how pure it was .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #37
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Question for you Matt Miller, are you going to buy a new 2021 SS 1LE with the A10 Auto when it comes out? And for your information I’m not a curmudgeon either as I just stated my opinion on the matter! I could care less either way!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
You curmudgeons are something else. Chevy's "ruined" the 1LE because the A10 will be an option? I guess so, because in 2021, if you want to buy a new 1LE, you will only be able to get it with an automatic. No matter how much you might want the manual, you will be forced (probably at gunpoint!) to get the auto.
The problem is that the 'AT into 1LE' door has just been opened a crack. We've seen what ATs have done to virtually all other categories of cars; it'd be to have our heads in the sand to think that the SS 1LE is guaranteed to escape a similar fate.

Quote:
For all you track-time purists who want the highest-performing 1LE option, the A10 is in all likelihood faster on a road course or drag strip. Some back-to-back testing I've seen bears that out. And BTW, in every high-level category of road racing where it's allowed, semi-manual (the shifting is fully automated) is always chosen because it's faster and more reliable. Every. Single. Time.
Being serious enough to approach the pointy end of time trialing or wheel to wheel racing is one thing . . . yeah, I'd probably switch to some sort of DSG if I was into either of those activities where it was permitted and that's what it was going to take to win. But it wouldn't be because I'd want to go that way out of full free choice.

HPDE - the sort of road course driving that's far more accessible to most of us - isn't about automated shifting excellence or how good somebody else's computer programming skills might be.

Norm
Old 03-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #39
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The problem is that the 'AT into 1LE' door has just been opened a crack. We've seen what ATs have done to virtually all other categories of cars; it'd be to have our heads in the sand to think that the SS 1LE is guaranteed to escape a similar fate.

Being serious enough to approach the pointy end of time trialing or wheel to wheel racing is one thing . . . yeah, I'd probably switch to some sort of DSG if I was into either of those activities where it was permitted and that's what it was going to take to win. But it wouldn't be because I'd want to go that way out of full free choice.

HPDE - the sort of road course driving that's far more accessible to most of us - isn't about automated shifting excellence and how good somebody else's computer programming might be.
Norm
I don’t think you’ve been keeping up on current events. This is the greatest and last 1LE ...at least as we’ve known them.

Al O left the Camaro team. Gen7 delayed. All to shift focus to BEV.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #40
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Rather than make a late edit . . .

seeing the potential downside of introducing the AT into one of the most heavily track-focused Camaro trims is a lot easier when you've watched ATs take over in virtually every other market segment and had to jump ship in order to avoid an AT.

Anybody who has been at least OK with automatics in their other vehicles isn't going to see this in quite the same way.

Norm
Old 03-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #42
Balzdeep

Drives: Wicked Fast
Having options for the consumer in the end is always a good thing.
Balzdeep is offline   Reply With Quote