Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #71
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
If it's too challenging,maybe you should stick to riding your Honda bike. Kudos to the OP for providing pertinent info to this forum,despite your complaining about the text. Do you have a complaint about the remainder of the post also? Maybe too many attached images?
Looks like there’s paragraphs now. Sorry your bra was too tight and you had cramps.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 AM   #72
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Having been a dealer tech for 17 years now, I get the enticment of a nice car coming in. Even more so on ones that have aftermarket exhaust (referring to the posts about revving the cars in the shop). We're all car guys in the shop too, I want to see what it sounds like, check it out on the hoist to see what you've put on it etc. That doesn't mean it is going to get rev'd to red line or bounced off the limiter, that is ridiculous. I feel I'm a pretty respectful person, but on the flip side I have seen some techs, usually pretty young ones just starting in the field, do some stupid sh*t. I've also seen lot attendants/porters be just as, if not more, stupid. They are usually high school kids or college kids, so unfortunately their level of maturity is fairly low. I could really see this in a small town area if your dealer isn't a "high performance" dealer where they would regularly see these types of cars.
The type of "test drive" performed obviously wasn't necessary at all. I would've still performed a post repair test drive to ensure that the conditions the car goes through while driving, NVH, are not what is causing the A/C to fail. I wouldn't want you to be driving home and the problem happens again where you have to come back, upset, that it wasn't fixed right the first time.
Just as a heads up too, you may have expressed to the service writter/advisor that you felt the vehicle didn't require a test drive for diagnosis, but I doubt it was written on the repair order. Also, the fine print next to where you sign the repair order should state something like "you give us (the dealership) permission to drive your vehicle" etc. I recommend if anyone here does not want their vehicle test driven, make sure it is written on the repair order. Whether it is part of the complaint line or on it's own separate line and not hand written on the "hard copy" (original paper repair order, not a copy) repair order. A lot of places use computer repair order systems, so the tech never lays hands on the phsyical repair order, where if it were hand written, they would never see it. Same with car washes etc. The hardest request I hate dealing with is "do not move the seat or steering wheel". If you want me to safely move your. vehicle, even just in the lot/shop, I need to be able to comfortably reach the pedals and steering wheel. If test driving the car, I may also have to move the mirrors.
Now, I'm not saying this was acceptable at all, but is it really abuse of the vehicle? It was built to handle track day conditions at speeds well above 80 mph. At 80, its maybe 50% it's speed capability.... yes, it shouldn't have happened, especially in the areas it was likely driven, for safety concerns and respect of other peoples property. But honestly, I wouldn't be worried about damage to the car, knowing that it was built to handle much more. My worry there I think would be mainly to the clutch, does this person really know how to drive a manual transmission? Maybe tires as well... that's atleast something you could see and point out before you left the property with your vehicle.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #73
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I ALWAYS worry about how my car will be treated when I bring it in for service as they usually have a young person moving the cars around and you can almost guarantee they are going to abuse your car. One thing I miss greatly about my previous Ford dealership service guy. He was an enthusiast himself and always pulled my car around personally, and monitored anyone else driving it. A good service advisor is worth their weight in gold IMO. Not to hijack your thread but I just brought my 1LE in for it's first service and it's amazing to me that neither my salesman or the service guy were familiar with the car. Salesman couldn't explain what the rev match was/did, and the service guy asked me if the hood wrap came from GM when I had issues with it (creases and poorly cut around the heat extractors). To top it off, when I got home I saw they only put 8 qts of oil in the car with the first oil change. Had to go back and explain the car takes 10 qts, like it says in the owners manual. Car was 1 1/2 qts low
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #74
GrimReaperSS

Madscotsman: I am not surprised. Dealership people arent always car people. My previous dealership owner family decided they wanted to hire some people out of the higher end restaurants for service writing because "they know to cater to a certain type of client". To the dealer, it's just a sales position, the product is just different. I remember there being a former salesman in VW that was a big enthusiast, could tell you anything you wanted to know etc. Didnt last long because he was just too much for customers. Then there is the turn over rate... thats a whole other topic.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #75
Grimfrost769

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
added as a pic
This is freaking great. This would be even more hilarious if the employee left his phone in the truck so he couldn't call the dealer.

I swear, if this ever happens to my 1le; I'm recording it and leaving that person stranded.
Grimfrost769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #76
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Now, I'm not saying this was acceptable at all, but is it really abuse of the vehicle? It was built to handle track day conditions at speeds well above 80 mph. At 80, its maybe 50% it's speed capability.... yes, it shouldn't have happened, especially in the areas it was likely driven, for safety concerns and respect of other peoples property. But honestly, I wouldn't be worried about damage to the car, knowing that it was built to handle much more. My worry there I think would be mainly to the clutch, does this person really know how to drive a manual transmission? Maybe tires as well... that's atleast something you could see and point out before you left the property with your vehicle.
Just because my girlfriend is a hottie doesn't mean that the doctor gets to take her for a spin when she goes for a checkup.

As the late great Sheriff Bufford T. Justice would say, "You can think about it... but donnnn't do it."

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #77
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
Just because my girlfriend is a hottie doesn't mean that the doctor gets to take her for a spin when she goes for a checkup.
We'll be the judge of whether she's hot or not. Post pics.

I'm only playing, I'm not a perv.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #78
Fun

Drives: 2020 V6 Auto 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfronk1LE View Post
Good afternoon everyone, I’ve been putting this off for a little while because honestly, I am hating having to write this sort of negative review, but I do want to warn everyone about a recent experience I’ve had with John Heister Chevrolet in Fuquay Varina NC.

Recently I brought my 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE to John Heister because it had an air conditioning that was not blowing cold, coming off the winter I wasn’t sure how long it had been going on. I bought the car in September, so I haven’t really used the AC much. I brought it in and explained to the service writer that there is an AC issue and that the car does NOT need to be test driven because it can only be one of a few things; I said either the compressor is faulty, or there is low refrigerant or a refrigerant leak.

For my background, I’m a Mechanical Engineer and I work for Caterpillar as a Manufacturing Engineering Manager over one of our skid steer lines and we fill the machines with R-134a. I told him this and I told him that I’ve service machines that fill refrigerant on a production level and know what sort of failures they experience.

So they took my car and I proceeded to wait, I can’t sit still so I walked around, I noticed technicians smoking, playing on their phones and just flat out not working while there were cars waiting and bays empty…all in I waited 2.5 hours for the car to get done for a problem I had already explained what was wrong. That’s not the part that’s bothering me. What’s bothering me is while I was walking around I watched the mechanic drive up to the dealer exit and then spin tires turning onto the highway. I asked the service writer why he was taking my car for a ride when I told him that it didn’t need to be taken, he “explained” to me that the mechanic needed to listen to the fans, I told him that was bull and doesn’t make sense because there is nothing wrong with the fans it’s the AC that had issues.

When the mechanic came back the service writer came and found me and said that the mechanic thinks my “racing parts” are the problem, I asked “what parts explicitly because the only part on the car is the Chevrolet Performance Air Intake, and that’s a part from Chevrolet that doesn’t void anything on the warranty?” He replied with “I don’t know he assumed that because there are numbers on the side of the car that it’s some sort of racing part you put on the car.” Let’s be clear, there were numbers on the car because I do track the car, but I run it stock because I want the factory warranty on the car.

A little while later the car was charged with refrigerant and I got in to go home and noticed that the mechanic has listened to the XM radio (since the station was not one I listen to) while he was supposed to be “listening to the fans” and then I went home. Within the next couple of days I checked my OnStar report and noticed that the technician went for a crazy joy ride at over 80 mph and had hard acceleration and hard braking. This was on a colder wet/rainy day in March and honestly those Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar 3 tires do not like cold or rain and they especially don’t like that together. Additionally, from the hard acceleration I know he wasn’t testing the AC because the computer turns the compressor off under hard acceleration.

I got in touch with the dealer and had a little back and forth with them but they ultimately told me that they disciplined their employee and wanted to pay me a $100 visa gift card for my trouble. Honestly, I feel like this is bad business, because I’ve had to contact them repeatedly and there was a good possibility for them wrapping my car around the tree. I agree with them disciplining their employee but that’s their problem not mine, my problem was they treated my $45,000 car like it was their personal toy. I also told them that this isn’t the first time this problem has happened, it also happened with my wife’s 2018 Chevrolet Traverse Redline when she went in for an oil change. They took it for a joy ride, she waited over 2 hours for an oil change, and after she left the check engine light came on because they didn’t tighten the oil cap down.

I’ve attached the OnStar screenshots so everyone can see what I’m saying and not just think I’m being a crazy person on a rant about a dealer, like I said, I’ve put this off because I’ve tried to work with them and now I’m just irritated. I know not everyone on here lives local to Fuquay Varina, but I wanted to warn you about this dealer, because it seems like if you have a high performance or fun car they like to run it like a scalded dog.

I also wanted to let you know if you have it run valet mode and definitely check your OnStar reports. You’ve worked hard to have a nice Camaro or a Corvette or whatever you’re driving, and nobody deserves this. You’ve been warned, thank you for listening.
Your response has been very mild compared to what mine would be. Can everyone look at what’s going on with their car like you did if they have myChevrolet App? Thanks & Good Luck !
Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #79
GrimReaperSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post

As the late great Sheriff Bufford T. Justice would say, "You can think about it... but donnnn't do it."
Good stuff! Haha. Glad there is some sense of humor, was waiting to just get roasted, lol. Like I said, as a tech, I feel I'm on the respectful side. It is not my car, so I won't do anything to it that will jeopardize its condition or my job for that matter. Always like returning my customers cars in better condition than when they brought them in (if possible).
I was speaking with a co-worker about this post, who is currently a Porsche Parts Dept guy but was a Nissan/Chevrolet tech at the dealer across the street some time ago. He was telling me about a 5th gen ZL1 that had come in. Customer complaint: Vehicle will not do donuts any more. Apparently the guy had curbed his car and had it repaired at a Chevy dealerships body shop on the other side of the city. Afterward, seems he was right back to his driving habits and couldn't get the car to do donuts anymore. He brought it in and said he didn't want it back until he could resume his donuts. Apparently nothing wrong with the car, just he had forgotten how to turn off all the driving nannies. Of course, the tech had to ensure the car would do as the customer wanted, so they went out and did some donuts in a nearby empty parking lot. I can only imagine what other people passing by were thinking, when in actuality they were doing what this customer wanted. When the customer returned, they showed him how to disable everything. When leaving, he promptly left in a burn out down the street, haha. I understand this not the norm, but just shows that not eveything at a dealer is mistchif.
I've been on the receiving end of a call one time after I returned from an extended test drive. The customers friend had seen the car on the side of the freeway with the hazards on, called their friend to notify them to which they called the advisor wanting to know why their car was on the side of the freeway. The vehicle was in for a transmission shifting concern and what they didnt know is that in order to program the downshifts on this vehicle, you have to get up to speed in 7th gear (highest available for that transmission) and then coast all the way down to 1st without touchilng the brakes. The only place available to do so, without breaking the speed limit., was the freeway. This had to be performed multiple times in order for the vehicle to recognize "good" downshifts between every gear. Sometimes it will only recognize 1 or 2 downshifts out off all 6, so you have to repeat and repeat until you've gotten them all mutiple times.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #80
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Two words.....valet mode.

I took my car to a local tire shop because I had a right rear flat. They came out to tell me that I had a nail in the tire and that between the nail and my very low tread (I was planning to replace it soon) they recommended just buying a new tire. I figured, I'll just take it back to my dealer and see if I can get one more tire replaced on my wheel and tire warranty. So they take me out back to show me the tire. There are 3 techs under my hood pointing at stuff and reading my Chris Frech plate. Now, that didn't bother me, and I didn't mind answering all their questions, but I did give them $#!t about what made them go under the hood for a flat tire in the first place.

So, when I took it from there to the Chevy dealer, I decided that I would put it in valet mode when I left it at the dealer. Valet mode locks out the stereo, and locks the trunk. It won't dial back the power at all, but I expect a lot of techs would think it did once they realize that they can't control the stereo.

And....BONUS....they did replace the tire under warranty. 5th tire replacement in 2-1/2 years on the warranty. I was going to buy a new tire next week anyone, since this was the only tire on the car that had not been replaced under warranty. Saved me a few hundred bucks.

But, again...valet mode works.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote