Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Cost differences between DIY and not DIY.

Maybe someone, smarter than me, could make a list of all the reasonable projects, repairs and maintenance stuff we do vs having it done and the difference in cost.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
That depends, are you going to do it yourself right, or do it yourself wrong, screw up more stuff, and then pay someone to do the original job plus fix the screw up.

Need to be able to factor all the data in to get the right estimate.

Only one I think I know is headers install might have been $300 and my buddy did it as a favor.

Ooh, tint, what's a tint kit, like $20-$40. I paid $140 for the guy to do it and he did a crappy job. So could have saved $100 there and still had a crappy diy job done.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Rob3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
That depends, are you going to do it yourself right, or do it yourself wrong, screw up more stuff, and then pay someone to do the original job plus fix the screw up.

Need to be able to factor all the data in to get the right estimate.

Only one I think I know is headers install might have been $300 and my buddy did it as a favor.

Ooh, tint, what's a tint kit, like $20-$40. I paid $140 for the guy to do it and he did a crappy job. So could have saved $100 there and still had a crappy diy job done.
Let's keep the conditions ideal by assuming the DIYer will do it correctly. Obviously the first scenerio will cost you more.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Over the years I have saved thousands by doing most of the stuff myself.

It would also depend on where you take it. For instance if you took it to the dealer from what I recall the stock front rotors are $400 each rears are close to that. Pads a few hundred. Plus labor somewhere around $1500+ to redo the brakes.

My cost. Slotted rotors all around $450 pads $250

Saved $800 or more and had better parts to top it off.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Well, the most basic thing is the oil change. Very simple mechanically but very crucial and expensive if you or the lowest guy on the totem pole at your shop f's it up. I can afford to have some one else do it but, in addition to saving a few bucks, I get tremendous satisfaction out of a job well done along with the peace of mind knowing exactly how it was done, what products were used and the condition of my car when I'm done.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Rob3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Well, the most basic thing is the oil change. Very simple mechanically but very crucial and expensive if you or the lowest guy on the totem pole at your shop f's it up. I can afford to have some one else do it but, in addition to saving a few bucks, I get tremendous satisfaction out of a job well done along with the peace of mind knowing exactly how it was done, what products were used and the condition of my car when I'm done.

Yeah, i like that also.... Its like i'm sure I put that drain plug back correctly ya know?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Only thing Ive paid someone to do was my exhaust ($1200) and my window tint ($150). Everything else Ive done including painting the engine bay and interior, blacked out the roof and wheels, carbon fiber wrapped the spoiler & bezels, side skirts, splitter, the fender vents, aftermarket grill, etc. I even custom made my rear blackout panel. My Dad raised me how to do things myself especially building/modding cars. Hes built several cars over the years so Ive picked up a few things. If I would've paid someone to put in the same amount of hours I have, I'd be out several thousand. If you know how to do it and do it right, go for it. Much more rewarding to say "I did that" here's a few pics of my paint work.

Engine bay--I painted all the white, fuse box w ghost flame, CAI box and intake tube, & plenum cover. You can't see it in the pic but the dipstick and oil cap are painted too.

Interior--everything white minus the door and dash inserts I painted and I also added carbon fiber as well. The pink is all done by me.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Completely depends. What's reasonable to me may be unreasonable to you. At one time, it was perfectly reasonable to yank my engine Friday night after work, replace all the rod and main bearings on Saturday, install a new cam and button it up Sunday, re-install the engine, and then drive to work Monday. That job in 50 or so hours would cost a few bucks. For me, it was fun. At the time at least. My cost was about 400 bucks or so: 50 for bearings, 50 for fluids, 300 for the cam and lifters. A shop? What do they make an hour, at least 80 bucks? I worked about 24 hours on that job. Then parts? Yikes.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
I'm the same way, but I've never done an oil change on this car myself. Here's why, for 6 quarts of synthetic oil plus whatever the filter costs it's about $75. At the dealership I go to I get a discount and pay just above $50 for a full synthetic oil change. So it doesn't make sense to do it myself.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
Well. it depends on the shop hourly rate. My area ranges from $75 and up. I do most of my mods myself except the the painting and body work.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #11
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I have done alot of my own mods. I enjoy working on my own car. It is not work for me. I have painted my door inserts, rear fascia, interior lighting, dynamat interior, installed my own door and rear speakers. Painted under the hood. Installed my afterburners in the tails, installed my T2 front port inserts and painted them. Painted my bowties, smoked my tail lights.And changed every oil change myself.

I did pay for my stereo to be installed, my remote starter, vertical doors, Flowmaster exhaust and tinted windows. It depends on what you are capable of doing and really how much money you have to spend.

[URL=http://s165.photobucket.com/user/N8Stephens/media/479065_10151813658900500_1502765120_o.jpg.html]
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #12
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Something else you need to factor in is tooling. Do you have the tools to do the job? Do you have access to sufficient work space? I do as much as I can on my own because I love working on my car, but say you need a special tool to get the job done, how much is it to buy? Is it worth it to buy? I'm always for the DIY
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
DIY all the way for me.

My dad bought fog light kits for me for Christmas 2 years ago and we just got around to installing them earlier this month.

Instead of spending an additional $100+ for a fog light harness, we were able to make the harness that came with the BlingLights fog light kit work as if it were from the factory using nothing more than a $13 relay (which could have been found cheaper online if we had more time to wait for shipping) and $7 for an "Add-a-circuit" fuse from O'Reilly. A little soldering and basic electrical know-how is all it took.

Now when I turn the car on, if the daytime running lights are on then the halos on my fog lights turn on. When the car switches from DRL to full headlights on, then the halos automatically turn off and the fog lights fully turn on. All 100% automatic, no switches ruining the dash, etc.

(Excuse the dirty car)

And for those that understand really, really basic electrical diagrams. The 4 pin relay on the left came with the BlingLights harness and just had to be re-wired. The 5-pin relay was from a 1995 Pontiac Trans Am cooling fan motor relay - we found this 5-pin relay is OK for continuous voltage and it's readily available at any local autoparts store.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Over the years I have saved thousands by doing most of the stuff myself.

It would also depend on where you take it. For instance if you took it to the dealer from what I recall the stock front rotors are $400 each rears are close to that. Pads a few hundred. Plus labor somewhere around $1500+ to redo the brakes.

My cost. Slotted rotors all around $450 pads $250

Saved $800 or more and had better parts to top it off.
But you forgot , conveniently the cost of those two beers !
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote