The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 02-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
DucMan

Drives: Civic
Question Enthusiasts of the C6 with auto trans / paddle shift please provide feedback

If you would kindly provide your thoughts on owning a C6 automatic with paddle shifters and state whether you are capable of operating a manual and how you would compare the two would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering an automatic transmission with the paddle shifters but want to know how 'crisp' the shifts are when using the paddle shifts. I have owned a C5 with a manual transmission and will be rejoining the Corvette community once again with the C7.

Thank you for your input.

Here is a video explaining the Double Clutch Transmission (DCT) referred to in a later reply for those of us not familar (me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oOciX6kdexE
DucMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucMan View Post
If you would kindly provide your thoughts on owning a C6 automatic with paddle shifters and state whether you are capable of operating a manual and how you would compare the two would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering an automatic transmission with the paddle shifters but want to know how 'crisp' the shifts are when using the paddle shifts. I have owned a C5 with a manual transmission and will be rejoining the Corvette community once again with the C7.

Thank you for your input.
I can't provide comments on the auto in the C6 but I'll give you my thoughts for what they are worth. I went from a long history of manual cars to two that weren't... the only one that was as pleasing to drive was the DCT in my M3. It was hugely satisfying. The auto in my C63 is VERY fast and crisp for an auto but it's an auto. Unless GM put a true DCT in the C7, I will be sticking with the 7MT for sure. Autos in sports cars are disappointing to me unless they are DCTs.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I would not get the auto if you're looking for quick, crisp, shifting. It's just a slush box with some manual control.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Gohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
I would not get the auto if you're looking for quick, crisp, shifting. It's just a slush box with some manual control.
Exactly. Unless it's a true dual clutch system, steering wheel mounted paddles are basically doing the same thing as those auto tranny systems where you can shift gears up/down by pulling/pushing the auto gear lever.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
HurricaneRN

One of the engineer interview videos I watched discussed this. The A6 tranny has a lighter smaller flywheel and reworked software that will make shifts in 200ms. For comparison that's as fast as the Lexus LFA, Audi direct shift and Ferrari 360. Will be significantly better than the c6 version.
HurricaneRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneRN View Post
One of the engineer interview videos I watched discussed this. The A6 tranny has a lighter smaller flywheel and reworked software that will make shifts in 200ms. For comparison that's as fast as the Lexus LFA, Audi direct shift and Ferrari 360. Will be significantly better than the c6 version.
My C63 has the MCT transmission that shifts at 100ms. It is fast too and very capable. However, it isn't just the shift speed that matters IMO. A true DCT (which the A6 or MCT in the C63 are not) has a more mechanical/connected feel. An auto, even a very fast auto, feels disconnected from the car and less immediate based on my experience. They feel "muted" so to speak. Even when shifting speeds are similar, the DCT just feels more connected to the car and more like a true manual. I have only owned two "autos" in my life... a DCT M3 and the C63 and I can tell you I did not miss a manual with the DCT but I do in the C63... even though it shifts at 100ms.

It is great that the auto will be improving and I'm sure it will be a great transmission but it is too bad a real DCT wasn't coming as THAT would be both fast and feel connected and crisp having no torque converter. DCT transmissions are real manuals (in feel and operation) but simply without the third pedal and I really hope GM eventually offers one in the C7 as THAT would be fantastic.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
I'll share my $0.02. When the MkV GTI came out, I test drove a DSG and stick back to back. Same car, same driver, doesn't get anymore equal. The DSG was fast, smooth, could rev-match every downshift perfectly and was just a superior transmission. It also bored the hell out of me and I bought a stick because the driving experience was so much more engaging. I'm older and live in worse traffic now but still leaning very much towards the manual simply for the experience. Even a modern slushbox would be faster than my pathetic granny shifting probably but I'll still take one anyway more than likely.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote