Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #57
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
It's pretty damn smooth, I've heard a few reports of people that seem to have malfunctions with this system, so maybe you should get it checked out? I think it's brilliant when I'm racing. I'm going hard into a turn and I can downshift so damn fast with it, no loss of speed and everything is ready, no blipping or screwing around with pedals.
Actually, I just had to drive somewhere to drop off a package. It's 100% smooth. Like no jarring, nothing. Either technique or calibration is off if it's janky. I've got vids of me shifting during races, but I was just concentrating on this while driving now. It doesn't feel like changing gears because it's so smooth.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #58
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
heel toe downshifts in my car are terrible. even in track mode it is nothing like a cable tb and is hard to pinpoint. ive rev match downshifted every manual car i've owned since 1999. this was the first drive by wire that really bothered me.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #59
Mohawk_1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Actually, I just had to drive somewhere to drop off a package. It's 100% smooth. Like no jarring, nothing. Either technique or calibration is off if it's janky. I've got vids of me shifting during races, but I was just concentrating on this while driving now. It doesn't feel like changing gears because it's so smooth.
Yeah, you definitely feel it shift in mine. It's like it's consistently undershooting the rpms by 100-200 rpm. I can usually help it by giving it some throttle input, but now you're talking about some man/machine hybrid system. I don't road-course my car, so I can't say with certainty, but I think it's still a close enough match that it wouldn't upset anything in a turn (honestly it's way better than I can usually do heel-toeing). But if I'm just cruising around, or at least not trying to down shift while braking, I'm smoother 90% of the time on a down shift (doesn't really come into play on an up shift with the way I drive), with the misses generally being pretty comparable to what the rev match does.
Mohawk_1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:15 PM   #60
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Because from outside the car, it sounds like the driver really knows what he's doing? Whether or not he actually does.

Excuse me while I hunt down my flame suit . . .

Norm
Not to flame ya....

Why cant you practice blipping the throttle each downshift?

It's another aspect to master just like shifting gears.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:19 PM   #61
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Not to flame ya....

You can even do it while your side mirrors are adjusted to show the sides of your car!

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 08-04-2021, 07:20 AM   #62
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Ok then, please explain to me how you would get more engine braking within the context of the original post.
Well jimmy boy, you have no idea now I drive yet you feel the need to share your dumb ass unsolicited opinion anyway.

I will be cruising 45 - 55 in 5th gear and see a red light ahead, I put it in neutral and coast down to 20 -25 then blip the throttle and slip it into third without depressing the clutch.

Explain how that is causing excessive wear on the clutch.

BTW, I have been driving manuals for 45 years and put over 150K miles on a few cars and never once had to replace a clutch.
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #63
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
I will be cruising 45 - 55 in 5th gear and see a red light ahead, I put it in neutral and coast down to 20 -25 then blip the throttle and slip it into third without depressing the clutch.
synchros yes. clutch no.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #64
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Driving at slow speeds Rev Match feature is annoying; like driving in a parking lot, going 1st to neutral, Rev Match will rev the engine to 3k rpm, which is too high when going to 2nd at 15mph. And everyone in the parking lot looks at you wondering why you are revving your engine like a jackass when you are merely trying to drive because turning Rev Match ON has become your muscle memory on your start up procedure.

In my experience, the Rev Match feature also holds the revs when deaccelerating which is a nuisance. A simple test for yourself is slow down in gear with rev match on vs off. Rev Match OFF will deaccelerate quicker, the way it should when "engine breaking". I hate applying the brakes while engine braking to overcome the REV MATCH feature.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #65
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Well jimmy boy, you have no idea now I drive yet you feel the need to share your dumb ass unsolicited opinion anyway.

BTW, I have been driving manuals for 45 years and put over 150K miles on a few cars and never once had to replace a clutch.
That’s not the context of the original post. The context of the original post was you were getting more engine braking by not using rev match. Changing the goalposts. Don’t care how long you have been driving.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 08-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #66
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
synchros yes. clutch no.
It's a double clutch downshift with an extended delay in neutral, if anything it is less wear on the synchros... Are you still "granny shifting and not double-clutching like you should?"
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #67
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
You can even do it while your side mirrors are adjusted to show the sides of your car!
and while you're desperately trying to get to 22 mph at 1600 rpm without having to shift from 1st to 4th!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #68
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Of course you can. Just that at that point you might as well be doing the whole job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't doing any of your own throttle-blipping take active rev match out of the proceedings?

Norm
Old 08-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #69
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_xmas View Post
It's a double clutch downshift with an extended delay in neutral, if anything it is less wear on the synchros...
tell me you didnt read the post without actually telling me you didn't read the post.

and i buy autos because i can't drive - under the guise that the autos "are just that good now". err wut
Old 08-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #70
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I’ve been very impressed with Rev-Match. Good stuff!