Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-22-2023, 04:20 PM   #43
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Well I guess we will see who wins consumer money talks. Good luck to either side.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:44 PM   #44
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
And my post only suggested they were shifting their focus away from an entirely EV commitment as of late, to one that clearly includes a future development of ICE. I didn’t mean to suggest this was an admission by GM they were doing any less Ev, just surprised they invested so much in ICE considering their approach the last few years
Obviously, EVs will not entirely replace ICE for more than 10 years. In the meantime, GM has hit the wall on making pushrod V8s more powerful and efficient. To take full advantage of computer controlled direct injection, it's necessary to vary intake and exhaust valve timing independent of each other.

So it's long past time to retire the single cam pushrod architecture.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:48 PM   #45
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
I also did my small part with the survey I got after buying a 2022 SS. Not interested in an electric vehicle to replace a Camaro with.

Once electric vehicles become less smug, I'd consider something to run around town with, but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:04 PM   #46
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhucaller View Post
I also did my small part with the survey I got after buying a 2022 SS. Not interested in an electric vehicle to replace a Camaro with.

Once electric vehicles become less smug, I'd consider something to run around town with, but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon.
I also got this survey and I replied that I'm not planning to buy an EV any time soon. The charging infrastructure is nowhere near ready for enabling road trips, and the price of EVs is not competitive, even considering the grocery getting niche.

I will consider any non-plug-in hybrid grocery getter that improves mileage at a competitive price to the many sub-2 liter micro SUV options out there. Right now I have a 1.3 liter Trax that gets a real 35 mpg in mostly urban driving, and it was dirt cheap to buy. It's light and tiny and reliable and easy to park and there's no reason to replace it with a EV

I will also consider any non-plug-in hybrid muscle car that gains performance over ICE equivalents that are similarly priced.

One more point, though. EV supercars are so quick that ICE performance vehicles have been rendered irrelevant. What's the point of a V-8 Camaro? Any performance oriented EV or hybrid will kick its ass. I love the look of the Camaro but maybe I will replace my Gen5 V8 with a Gen6 V6.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:03 PM   #47
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
The transition to EVs will be gradual, so it makes sense to invest in ICE technology during that transition.

And I see we have the usual I-personally-don't-like-EVs-so-they-just-won't-work illogical leap into industry wide failure. Human smarts and ingenuity don't suddenly disappear because YOU don't like the technology. If there's money to be made, and there is, the issues will get figured out.

That is the history of technological progress, notwithstanding the defeatist attitude of the naysayers. Same luddites, different century.
As a driving enthusiast, i prefer a manual transmission even though they’ve solved the problem of shifting gears. I chose the manual transmission because of how it adds to the interaction between driver and machine, I like that experience even though it makes my car slower and get worse mpg, am I a Luddite?
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:22 PM   #48
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
F**k no to dohcs.
I'm holding a glimmer of hope they'll make a killer v6.

The V6 is a DOHC.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #49
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
The V8 will still exist in trucks and maybe the Mustang after this Mustang gen. Thank the Pickup truck crowd at least we can still have V8s to drop in things from them not budging and complying to EV. Some will but from what I have seen a lot won't.
That dark horse looks pretty good
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:58 PM   #50
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
One more point, though. EV supercars are so quick that ICE performance vehicles have been rendered irrelevant. What's the point of a V-8 Camaro? Any performance oriented EV or hybrid will kick its ass. I love the look of the Camaro but maybe I will replace my Gen5 V8 with a Gen6 V6.
Of course EV cars are quick in a straight line, and yes, faster than most ICE powered vehicles ever could be (at least to around 100mph) given they have so much torque. But is straight line speed the only thing that matters in a performance car? I'd argue H*ll No.

For me, its how they sound, how they handle in the corners, and how they make you feel. Almost every performance minded journalist who reviews EVs says the same thing: They are fast in a straight line, but they have no soul. Plus, the fast in a straight line thing can get old kind of quick. Now, maybe something like a Porsche Tican gets you much closer to the kind of perfomance car we used to, but it's quite heavy and it still doesn't have the sound to complete the experience.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:12 AM   #51
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Hmmm, GM, or Toyota.

Which one is making the correct bet? GM, who had to be bailed out by the government and has shed market share 13 of the last 18 years or Toyota which has gained market share 11 of the last 18 years?

Of the top 25 best selling vehicles in the US:

GM - 3
Toyota - 6

I wouldn't count on GM knowing what consumers want to buy.
And lets not forget how many brakes killed people in Toyota along with all the other recalls.

You live in with a GM, you die in a Toyota.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:48 AM   #52

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Part of the rationale for transitioning to EVs was that ICE technology had suddenly peaked out and nothing better with ICE was feasible or worth pursuing. Remember that little pearl of "wisdom"? This had been determined back in 2017 or whenever the big decision to go all EV was supposedly made...lol

This new ICE V-8 must be a real dog, or at least nothing to get real excited about. If they tout it as an "improvement" then Winston Smith will have a new assignment real soon.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:59 AM   #53
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Part of the rationale for transitioning to EVs was that ICE technology had suddenly peaked out and nothing better with ICE was feasible or worth pursuing. Remember that little pearl of "wisdom"? This had been determined back in 2017 or whenever the big decision to go all EV was supposedly made...lol

This new ICE V-8 must be a real dog. If they tout it as an "improvement" then Winston Smith will have a new assignment real soon.
These Gen VI V8's are mostly due to new emission regulations coming in 2027. And if they are indeed DOHC, it's mostly due to big displacement engines having poor cold start emissions. Plus other limitations placed by the OHV and single cam architecture.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:08 AM   #54

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
These Gen VI V8's are mostly due to new emission regulations coming in 2027. And if they are indeed DOHC, it's mostly due to big displacement engines having poor cold start emissions. Plus other limitations placed by the OHV and single cam architecture.
Then this new gen of ICE v-8s should also be described for it's main purpose: A band-aid for the unnecessary and arbitrary destruction of an industry and technology.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:47 AM   #55
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Then this new gen of ICE v-8s should also be described for it's main purpose: A band-aid for the unnecessary and arbitrary destruction of an industry and technology.
Yep. This is about an inability to meet government regulations, not an inability to provide what consumers demand.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #56
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Right.....

Cause an engine that could make more power, burns less fuel, and runs cleaner than the current version is destruction to the industry and technology.....

Were you like this when they went to fuel injection? Addition of cats? iPhone debut? iPad?
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote