The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2023, 04:35 AM   #1
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
Anybody's credit card get hit with a purchase they didn't make?

a credit card that I use strictly for online purchases got charged for a purchase that I did not make on Sunday @ 2:14am est. I checked the history and I have had this card for 13 months and the only things purchased with it have all been online Camaro parts excluding some Audi and f150 parts but they where through one of the same vendors I use for the 5gen anyway.
it was only $100.14, glad I get email and text notifications on all my transactions or this one would of been too late to catch....plus the additional purchases that could of been made if the card wasn't cancelled.

anybody else get hit up? would be nice to zero in on where the leak came from... hopefully I'm the only one.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:46 AM   #2
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
oh that sucks big time. I've had that happen with a card for my business that had never been used. In todays world, it's gonna happen. Sad but true.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
I got an Uber charge on mine...and we dotn have Uber up here...and its my Camaro Fund account that I havent used in a few months...somehow they crooks just get your numbers somehow....and then SELL them...
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
No but I got a phishing text yesterday supposedly from my bank. Funny thing, the official bank site says they won’t text if you when crap hits the fan. I sent a screen shot of that memo and an expletive filled response mostly wishing ill will and eternity in hell to all those who scam. No response yet. Damn I was looking forward to that response.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:07 PM   #5
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
My credit card has been compromised many times, probably around 5 times total over the years. i'm never liable for the charges, the bank just cancels it and issues me a new one. it's an inconvenience, but it happens.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #6
Junker80

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
No but I got a phishing text yesterday supposedly from my bank. Funny thing, the official bank site says they won’t text if you when crap hits the fan. I sent a screen shot of that memo and an expletive filled response mostly wishing ill will and eternity in hell to all those who scam. No response yet. Damn I was looking forward to that response.
I had a couple of those text too. And for about a half of a day last week my phone wouldn't let me on the Camaro5 site due to malicious activity.
Junker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:59 PM   #7
bottletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker80 View Post
I had a couple of those text too. And for about a half of a day last week my phone wouldn't let me on the Camaro5 site due to malicious activity.
there was an encryption issue last week with the site because of an expired certificate:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613523
Old 02-20-2023, 03:10 PM   #8
bottletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott's45 View Post
My credit card has been compromised many times, probably around 5 times total over the years. i'm never liable for the charges, the bank just cancels it and issues me a new one. it's an inconvenience, but it happens.
usually it's a bank card that gets compromised for me but I never had anybody put a charge through, it was always the bank calling me and stating that my card has been compromised and it always happens when I have no cash and no alternative card haha. now I always bring backup and keep cash hidden in the car. this stuff can really ruin a day easily!
Old 02-20-2023, 03:15 PM   #9
bottletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I always click on those and enter a fake number and password,
it's gotta piss off the a-hole on the other end when he thinks he got a legit authorization
Old 02-20-2023, 08:03 PM   #10
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Someone tried to open a corporate card in my name a couple weeks ago. Company called because they got some information wrong. My other card I use that has alert also messaged me. Sucked because I had to contact the 3 agencies and put an extra step in place for anyone pulling my credit now. Had one card hit twice within the last year. Well guess 6 times technically because whoever got greedy and charged the same amount 5 times in 24 hours. Grateful for my fraud protection.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:32 PM   #11
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I used my CC at a chinese buffet and a few weeks later I got a credit card bill for 8 100 dollar gift cards from a gas station 3000 miles away in Cali. I called the credit card company and they said they though I was on vacation?
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:10 PM   #12
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
It just happened to my yesterday but I made the transaction.
It was at rentalcars.com. After I made the transaction, I got a text that says "suspicious activity" and blocked the whole thing.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 10:13 PM   #13
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
A year or so ago, I apparently spent $114 on a manicure and new nails at a salon 4 states away. The card company cleared the charge and issued me a new card.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:45 AM   #14
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I get an alert for any charges over $0.01 on my cards plus I run Quicken every day.

I did have a weird thing a few months ago. Sitting at my PC working and happened to have my personal email up on one of the screens. Saw some emails start to pop up that indicated I changed my shipping name, address and phone number on a vendor account I had tied to my PayPal info. I quickly got into PayPal and ended up deleting the account altogether - then called PayPal to ensure it was 100% gone. I was able to get a listing of vendors tied to that account before I deleted it. Then went and changed the pw on those sites and deleted the account if possible. As careful as I thought I was, too many times I used PayPal to pay for items on websites. Learned my lesson.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote