The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Carvana is a racket!

Just because I was tired of watching their commercials I thought I'd see how bad they'd rip me off if I traded in my Camaro (never going to happen by the way). Anyway, I put in my info without giving them my license plate or VIN and checked all of the boxes for the parts and options I had involved and voila $10,000 for my car.

Since I thought that's outrageous, I wondered what they're asking for another 2010 2SS/RS Camaro. So I searched and a car with 20k more miles than mine was $18k. Outrageous the price difference. I know they have to make a profit and pay for marketing and everything, but wow. $8k difference on a car they don't have to put on a lot, pay for a lot, pay for a salesperson to sell the car, etc. Wish I'd come up with the whole Carvana idea.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
It's a 9 year car, you won't get much at trade in from any dealer.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Went to go see... Carvana offered me $12,000. NADA offered $15,500. KBB offered $16,500.

Pretty big difference between Carvana and everyone else.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
DSMer1

Drives: 14 and 15 SS's
Nada and kbb are buying cars now? Lol
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer1 View Post
Nada and kbb are buying cars now? Lol
Old 03-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post

Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
It's not just Carvana....it's used car buying in general. Now my Redeye was a great transaction (obviously new).

But we have been actively looking for Monique's kids a vehicle. Price range is $7000 all in. We are looking at Jeep Liberty's, Dodge Nitro's primarily...to a lesser degree but depending on deal Hyundai Sante Fe's, Tuscon's, Sonata's and Kia Sportages and Sorrentos.

We have sent out approx 50 emails and we have gotten a total of 8 responses and those were all of the general, generic, email reply. Quality conversations we have had 2. All I want to know is condition of the tires, verify that the AC works, and whether or not it has been smoked in.

But this seems to be too much to ask. You know, for people to do their job. Car business is lazy. It is like they are just waiting around for "lay downs" to come in because god forbid they actually have to put some effort into it.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Which leads me to my next topic and more on the lines of the thread. Price....

Long time ago, we traded my ex wife's car in. Old Mitsubishi with 130k miles on it, etc. But it was in good shape because I take care of my shit. He gave us $3000.

The next day it was on his website for $6000. This is a general rule...of course it's car dependent.....but 75-100% markup on a used car. Like others have said, we are all in business to make money, and I for sure do not begrudge them that.

BUT DON'T LIE TO ME AND PLAY GAMES.

Don't come in like a guy locally here did. Found a Nitro, nice, clean, RT, etc. He's asking $7995. Clean retail on the car is $8200...but who pays retail. Clean trade in is around $6000 and it goes down to rough trade in at $2700. I pull $5000 cash out of my pocket put it on the desk. Told him I didn't mean any disrespect but this is what I have and that's my offer. Then here is comes...."can't do that. I have $7000 in the car". Sure.....

Another car we found is priced $800 OVER clean retail. Ask him for best cash price.....blah blah blah....might can help you out a couple of hundred.....

Another one I called about on a Saturday. It was online for $4999. He said it was available. Told him I couldn't make it today but I'd be there Monday. On Monday I pulled it up online....he raised the price to $6999.

Similar situation yesterday. Was $7200....next day $9400.

I'm over it.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
It's a 9 year car, you won't get much at trade in from any dealer.
I get it's a 9 year old car. However, $10k for a car and then sell one with 20k MORE miles for $8k more? Come on, that's low no matter what dealer you go to. KBB, which they showed on their page, was showing trade in as $4k more for my vehicle as trade in value. Obviously private party would be even higher yet, but that's an $8k kick in the teeth that is just plain ridiculous.

Quote:
Went to go see... Carvana offered me $12,000. NADA offered $15,500. KBB offered $16,500.

Pretty big difference between Carvana and everyone else.
I agree, BIG difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Which leads me to my next topic and more on the lines of the thread. Price....

Long time ago, we traded my ex wife's car in. Old Mitsubishi with 130k miles on it, etc. But it was in good shape because I take care of my shit. He gave us $3000.

The next day it was on his website for $6000. This is a general rule...of course it's car dependent.....but 75-100% markup on a used car. Like others have said, we are all in business to make money, and I for sure do not begrudge them that.

BUT DON'T LIE TO ME AND PLAY GAMES.

Don't come in like a guy locally here did. Found a Nitro, nice, clean, RT, etc. He's asking $7995. Clean retail on the car is $8200...but who pays retail. Clean trade in is around $6000 and it goes down to rough trade in at $2700. I pull $5000 cash out of my pocket put it on the desk. Told him I didn't mean any disrespect but this is what I have and that's my offer. Then here is comes...."can't do that. I have $7000 in the car". Sure.....

Another car we found is priced $800 OVER clean retail. Ask him for best cash price.....blah blah blah....might can help you out a couple of hundred.....

Another one I called about on a Saturday. It was online for $4999. He said it was available. Told him I couldn't make it today but I'd be there Monday. On Monday I pulled it up online....he raised the price to $6999.

Similar situation yesterday. Was $7200....next day $9400.

I'm over it.
Last time I went car shopping I ran into similar situations. I was talking with an dealership about an '09 Pontiac G8 GT. Great car, clean, and decently well taken care of considering the miles. I gave them a number and said "Here's what I have. I can go to the bank next store and get you $100 bills, but this is what I have to offer." It wasn't an outrageous price or some kind of take you out at the knees low ball offer either. They turned me down and said "We have more into it than that". Two weeks later, the car is still sitting there and priced less than what I offered them. It sat for another month after that dropping the price 2 more times. Since the G8 wasn't the exact car I was after, but I'd owned one before and loved it I thought I'd give it a go, I just sat and waited to see how low it would go before selling. I ended up continuing to save my money and my wife loves her '14 Impala we got instead. It just goes to show what dealerships "actually" have in a car and what they ACTUALLY have in a car.

What gets me even more is the "no haggle price" that places are now offering. They say it's "the best price" blah blah blah. Marketing is all that boils down to. Market to you saying no haggle because we're "giving you the best price up front" so that you won't tie their sales people and sales managers up with negotiations over what they'll let a car go for so they can move more vehicles. It's brilliant business sense, but totally screwing the consumer.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #10
DSMer1

Drives: 14 and 15 SS's
Quote:
Lol, are you calling me a troll?

My post is a obvious reality that many people don't realize. Kbb and nada can place the value wherever but they are not giving you a check.
I realize there is a difference in values between trade and retail. It's typically not 8k!
What do I know, I've only had over a decade in the car biz.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #11
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
this is one of the reasons i hate dealing with dealerships. this, and the "pressure" to purchase, the "well, its priced good so it might not be here long"
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer1 View Post
Lol, are you calling me a troll?

My post is a obvious reality that many people don't realize. Kbb and nada can place the value wherever but they are not giving you a check.
I realize there is a difference in values between trade and retail. It's typically not 8k!
What do I know, I've only had over a decade in the car biz.
You're looking a little too hard there, bud.

No one said KBB or NADA purchase cars. But 9/10, dealerships base car trade in values on either KBB or NADA.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #13
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister10 View Post
this is one of the reasons i hate dealing with dealerships. this, and the "pressure" to purchase, the "well, its priced good so it might not be here long"
The "pressure to purchase" citing not being there long doesn't bother me too badly. It has in the past, but at the end of the day there's a car on every lot. Maybe it might not be that 1 exact car, but I bet there's some that are darn close to it out there. Unless you're trying to find a 1967 L88 427 4 speed Corvette fastback black with red stinger, you're going to see another like what you have. (I know that one because it's my favorite. #20/20 1967 L88 Corvettes )

People call dealerships "steelerships" for a reason. It's just crazy how places like Carvana don't have a lot of the overhead of a stereotypical dealership, yet they're charging same or higher price differentials. "Car buying while binge watching your favorite show." BAD IDEA!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
DrLove38

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
Local GMC dealership offer me $11,000 for my 2013 SS/RS with 2500 garage kept miles Camaro.
DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote