The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #15
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Working a help desk will be a true test of your patience and people skills believe me.
You'll learn how to deal with every personality from another profession to downright morons that don't have a clue as to what they're trying to do all while trying to remain calm and professional.

You'll learn what questions to ask to get the right information out of the callers.

Usually working a help desk will be much more of a test of your interpersonal skills than your technical skills.

You will learn much grasshopper.

Advice from a 25 year retired Senior Systems Administrator.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #16
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Like others mentioned, check out a few places like colleges or hospitals. Most colleges have a careers page you can filter on and will hire folks straight out of college as the pay isn't as good as private sector.

Ive 15 years experience and quit my job to start over at a college in texas and I've been seeing folks straight out of college going into programming both public and private.

Many it areas can benefit from new blood as the world has been changing rapidly. A little initiative and desire to learn and you'll outpace some folks that have been stagnating.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Working a help desk will be a true test of your patience and people skills believe me.
You'll learn how to deal with every personality from another profession to downright morons that don't have a clue as to what they're trying to do all while trying to remain calm and professional.

You'll learn what questions to ask to get the right information out of the callers.

Usually working a help desk will be much more of a test of your interpersonal skills than your technical skills.

You will learn much grasshopper.

Advice from a 25 year retired Senior Systems Administrator.
Awesome thank you for letting me know! I can’t wait!
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
Like others mentioned, check out a few places like colleges or hospitals. Most colleges have a careers page you can filter on and will hire folks straight out of college as the pay isn't as good as private sector.

Ive 15 years experience and quit my job to start over at a college in texas and I've been seeing folks straight out of college going into programming both public and private.

Many it areas can benefit from new blood as the world has been changing rapidly. A little initiative and desire to learn and you'll outpace some folks that have been stagnating.
And I shall! Thank you!
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote