#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Were you expecting them to somehow add enough to the LT4 to beat the Hellcat's output & maybe match the Z06 in a straight line, without changing anything important enough to require a new engine designation, and then make that engine exclusively for the ZL1, while the Corvette & CTS-V keep going along at a 'mere' 650 (640)? Because thats pretty much impossible.

Or are you hoping that on paper, the ZL1 would get rated for just a smidge more than the Z06. Not enough to actually make the car faster (which is generally the point of adding more power), but juuuust enough so that the Camaro crowd could thumb their noses at the Corvette crowd.
I don't think the Camaro should be limited by what the Corvette uses. Sure, the Corvette engines are spectacular and offered enough variation for multiple models. The issue is the compromises made in the engines for the Corvette, like AFM being in every engine despite the manual Camaros not using it. The automatic 5th gen SS got its own engine with a unique designation, so it's not impossible.

The LT4 is the perfect example of this. The LT4 is using the smaller blower because of the Corvette and it has lead to some issues, whether they down play it or not. I wonder how much of the overheating issue could be alleviated by running a 2.3 liter blower instead of the 1.7.

The more powerful n/a engine Corvette gave up on is another example. Sure, it didn't meet their goals but it may have worked fine in a Z/28, and it may still come along, I'm not denying that.

All I'm saying is the Camaro is worthy of it's own engines should the need arise.