Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Cupcake37

Drives: 2017 1SS A8
Pulled over because NPP Exhasut

Got pulled over two nights ago, on my way out with my wife to the grocery store. Officer claimed my exhaust was too loud, he then back tracked and stated that he pulled me over because my Exhasut was modified. I tried to explain to him that I have NPP exhaust that came factory with the vehicle, I also tried to explain to him how the valves work, he told me he had been "doing this for 6 years" and said I could see him in court. Anyway to make a long story short my exhaust is not modified. I have not done a single thing to it and the only time all 4 wheels have been off the ground is when it is being serviced. So what can I do? Or how should I handle this situation?, the car does sound great, but that's just how came from factory. I purchased it brand new with 7 miles on the odometer.
Additional info I live I. California, an I was not driving like a hoonigan when I got pulled over.
Cupcake37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #2
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Go to court and get it thrown out, if it's all factory
Old 08-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Ledzepx

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro 6sp.
Wow cop sounds like a d ck
Old 08-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Go to court and get it thrown out, if it's all factory
+1 go to your Chevy dealer you bought it from, or any dealer, and have them give you a letter on their letterhead stating it's factory...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake37 View Post
Got pulled over two nights ago, on my way out with my wife to the grocery store. Officer claimed my exhaust was too loud, he then back tracked and stated that he pulled me over because my Exhasut was modified. I tried to explain to him that I have NPP exhaust that came factory with the vehicle, I also tried to explain to him how the valves work, he told me he had been "doing this for 6 years" and said I could see him in court. Anyway to make a long story short my exhaust is not modified. I have not done a single thing to it and the only time all 4 wheels have been off the ground is when it is being serviced. So what can I do? Or how should I handle this situation?, the car does sound great, but that's just how came from factory. I purchased it brand new with 7 miles on the odometer.
Additional info I live in California, an I was not driving like a hoonigan when I got pulled over.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Just bring Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer with you to court (or a quote from him on how the exhaust works).
Here he is explaining the NPP exhaust ...

Your window sticker shows NPP Dual-Mode Exhaust was installed on the car at the factory,
it is also listed on the build label under the carpet in the trunk with VIN and "DO NOT REMOVE" caption.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
I was pulled over for the same exact thing... except with my V6 that had NPP from the factory (2014) with the fuse pull... that v6 can scream when 4k+ RPMs. I told him, but officer, it came like this from the factory!!

LEO let me go, told me to slow down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
So why does he think the six years of being a cop makes him an expert about cars? Take your window sticker, a notarized letter from the dealer, the youtue explaination from Al, along with the owner's manual where it states how the exhaust works. I would also take pictures of your exhaust and have pictures of the factory exhaust for comparison. I would bring enough factual information that that cop would be scared to ever waste his time again pulling someone over for sound. Why not go catch some real bad guys for a change officer? Oh wait scratch that. Im sorry. You are another revenue stream for your employer and you were only doing your job. Thanks for your service.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I live in CA and have never been hassled, though I wish I would see those ricer Hondas get hassled over their fart cans more.

Considering you're under warranty, you should see if your dealer can do an "exhaust inspection" and have them sign off that it is indeed stock and does not appear to have been recently modified or corrected in any way, shape or form.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Then bill the county for you time and effort....
Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 PM   #11
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Is the cop required to attend the court? what happens if does not come, case closed. But then he got one over on you because you have to go or lose, right.
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i didnt even get pulled over for noise when driving my old pontiac with duals and headers,and that sucker was loud.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #13
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Go to the police station with the documentation and see if they will handle it without wasting a day in court.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I find it very odd that the reason you got pulled over was the NPP exhaust. On what planet is it even remotely loud ? Don't get me wrong, i have the NPP and enjoy how it sounds on start up in my garage and at WOT but cruising around its really no louder than a non NPP exhaust in my opinion.

Don't sweat it. Show up at the court with your window sticker and a picture of the exhaust. I would be stunned if anyone made a judgement against you.

SS MOOSE
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote