Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
ADVICED NEEDED - SOMETHING IS SUCKING POWER AFTER ORACLE INSTALLED LIGHTS!

Let me start with after my 3 week tour of the USA, I stopped off at Oracle (AAC) store in Houston for some light upgrades to my ZL1.

Oracle installed:

> Halos
> Dual Scanner light
> Footweel lights
> underbody lights
> wifi controller to control halos and underbody lights

It took them a week to install, and prior to the isntallation had no power / battery related issues period.

So we departed back to Arizona and along the way, we stopped about 400 miles to check all the ratchet straps , and sure enough the lights were ON in the trailer that Oracle installed. No they were left on from departure, everthing off!

So another 350 miles and we stop to check ratchet straps again, and sure enough the ORACLE lights were back on again !!

When I arrive at my destination , to start the ZL1, the battery is dead, and needed to jump start it!

Put a brand new battery in the car. Overnight battery dead again

CLUES?
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
What was there justification for taking a week? Can I ask how many hours of labor you paid for?

Is the wifi connecting via on star?
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
thespymaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
What was there justification for taking a week? Can I ask how many hours of labor you paid for?

Is the wifi connecting via on star?
The WIFI is a module that controls their lights only, not for internet/etc!

They actually worked on the car 7 working days and only installed the above products.. They had other vehicles as well that they were working on .

Price wasn't the issue, got great price from Oracle/AAC....
Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
thespymaster

FYI, my email commuication with AAC

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Justin- Advanced Automotive Concepts <> wrote:
Nothing can draw power without being on (illuminated) are you saying the lights are coming on and draining the battery?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Kelly Fromm <> wrote:
Justin

When I left HOUSTON, and made my first check of ZL1 in trailer after 300+ miles, the lights were on the car (scanner) and underglow

next stop, same thing, lights on and then didnt make another stop until I got to cali 600 miles and battery was dead on arrival

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Kelly Fromm <> wrote:
i have that wifi device that was installed, is that thing sucking power waiting for commands?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Justin- Advanced Automotive Concepts <> wrote:
Not as long as you are powering it down when not in use (there is a power button on the top of the remote)

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Kelly Fromm <> wrote:
You mean the WHITE REMOTE ?

Thats what I used to turn off the lights.... But assume you can also do it from CELLPHONE, so wouldnt it always be on then?

I used just the WHITE REMOTE to turn it off!

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Justin- Advanced Automotive Concepts <> wrote:
Right, if you switch it off with the white remote it no longer has a power draw.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
The WIFI is a module that controls their lights only, not for internet/etc!

They actually worked on the car 7 working days and only installed the above products.. They had other vehicles as well that they were working on .

Price wasn't the issue, got great price from Oracle/AAC....
I understand that. But for you to control the lights via wifi there has to be connectivity. Are you saying the lights (installed the car) pick up a wifi signal?

So how is this connection occurring? Wifi and Internet are one and the same.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Is the app running in the background on your phone? Or maybe the remote is bouncing around and turning the lights on? Its definitely going dead bc they are turning on. Stand by mode for the wifi has an extremely low amp draw so its not that. Could be a lose power or ground bc generally when u disconnect the controller boxes and connect them back their first function is "on". So it might be losing connection and then when it reconnects the lights are illuminated.
And wifi does not = internet. Wifi is just a an electronic connection to send information from 1 device to another. Doesnt mean it connects to the internet
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
thespymaster

Car was just at Loud Pedal Motorsports trying to find the source of POWER sucker and they also reported issues with Knight Rider lights from Oracle..

Loud Pedal found the wifi interface as wired by Oracle and put a kill switch , to shut off the power completely when not is use.....

And next day, battery did again!!

They "Loud Pedal" didnt have enough time to check
everything as i had to load up for SEMA....

But pic is below was taken at Oracle the day they finished
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
thespymaster

The manufacturer of the Forgiato grille, informed me tonight that he had to undergo rigorous testing for the electronics portion of the grille as not to exceed a certain load on the electrical system of the camaro......... He's thinking that the Oracle crew who installed the lights, specifically the KNIGHT RIDER light, MIGHT have been tied into the wiring harness of the Forigato grille as a shortcut vs Oracle running their own connection and most likely the culprit of the problem.

I won't know any more until after SEMA............ran out of time....

But the WARNING is this, whomever the installer is you chose, make sure they are home running their own wires (power/ground) from point A to point B vs just splicing into existing wiring as the LOAD on the electronics of the camaro has is very precise!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
DraggnFrameGMC

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro LT
Your car is looking great. Wish i could go to SEMA this year. Im starting to turn away from oracle products lately. The past 2 or 3 halo kits ive gotten have had leds out on them and the back order time is ridiculous. Not impressed at all lately. And the warranty is great but not when I have to redo a customers lights on my time, $ and labor without compensation
DraggnFrameGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
yeah...someone short cutted you man.
If nothing else, kill constant power to the lights. use accessory only. Or, break the power lead for the constant and buy a switch of proper amprege so you can toggle it on or off to physically break the circuit.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
thespymaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggnFrameGMC View Post
Your car is looking great. Wish i could go to SEMA this year. Im starting to turn away from oracle products lately. The past 2 or 3 halo kits ive gotten have had leds out on them and the back order time is ridiculous. Not impressed at all lately. And the warranty is great but not when I have to redo a customers lights on my time, $ and labor without compensation
Thanks for comments on ZL1........... Oracle is a top notch company in my opinion ............... Just something went wrong with this installation , or one of the parts is failing and causing this phantom power sucking...... It happens............

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
yeah...someone short cutted you man.
If nothing else, kill constant power to the lights. use accessory only. Or, break the power lead for the constant and buy a switch of proper amprege so you can toggle it on or off to physically break the circuit.

I will be having a complete inspection after SEMA by a company called NSA Electronics in Arizona that specializes in troubleshooting/fixing these type issues!

Kelly