Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
Cool SS

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro 2SS
ZL1 Aftermarket Rotor Suggestions

ZL1 aftermarket rotor suggestions please. I've increased the go power of my SS. Picked up some ZL1 brake calipers to increase the stop power. I can find the OEM rotors but I'd like to check out all the options. My internet searches aren't turning up much. Hard to find the proper size in anything other than OEM.
Cool SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:43 AM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
There seem to be only 2 rotor options for the OEM Brembo calipers that make sense (this is about fronts only and based on road course performance):

1. OEM rotors: they're great and about $800 shipped from Rockauto. This is my choice based on performance and durability.

2. Girodisc: they're lighter, and may perform better despite having less swept area and brake pad size. You pay a lot for hats and rotors at first, but you can replace the rotor rings only after that for $800.

A bigger performance improvement vs. OEM can be found with upgraded pads like Ferodo DS 1.11
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I have also not seen any other aftermarket rotors other than Girodisk. Unless you're running a serious track setup and competing at a near pro level I'd still recommend OEM rotors though. While the reduced mass might lower inertia, I'd expect them to not last as long because that reduced mass also means reduced ability to handle thermal energy before warping. Slots also have no performance benefits unless you're getting to a near glowing state where pad de-gassing actually becomes an issue. The downside is the thinned-down sections of the rotor face becomes a "break here" line once internal stresses of the metal start to become an issue with all the heating/cooling cycles. I've also not had the best luck with aftermarket rotor rings. Not girodisk, but on my car with swapping on aftermarket rotors I'm getting weird wear patterns and noises that i never had with the OE setup. I'd suspect this stems from tolerances not being quite as tight as the OE rotors (because OE has extremely tight tolerances), so I plan to go back to OE after I use the aftermarket ones up.

I'd second the suggestion of looking at pads for increased performance as well if you're not happy with the OE hardware. You'll get much more bang for your buck with a set of track pads than aftermarket rotors.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
Cool SS

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
There seem to be only 2 rotor options for the OEM Brembo calipers that make sense (this is about fronts only and based on road course performance):

1. OEM rotors: they're great and about $800 shipped from Rockauto. This is my choice based on performance and durability.

2. Girodisc: they're lighter, and may perform better despite having less swept area and brake pad size. You pay a lot for hats and rotors at first, but you can replace the rotor rings only after that for $800.

A bigger performance improvement vs. OEM can be found with upgraded pads like Ferodo DS 1.11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I have also not seen any other aftermarket rotors other than Girodisk. Unless you're running a serious track setup and competing at a near pro level I'd still recommend OEM rotors though. While the reduced mass might lower inertia, I'd expect them to not last as long because that reduced mass also means reduced ability to handle thermal energy before warping. Slots also have no performance benefits unless you're getting to a near glowing state where pad de-gassing actually becomes an issue. The downside is the thinned-down sections of the rotor face becomes a "break here" line once internal stresses of the metal start to become an issue with all the heating/cooling cycles. I've also not had the best luck with aftermarket rotor rings. Not girodisk, but on my car with swapping on aftermarket rotors I'm getting weird wear patterns and noises that i never had with the OE setup. I'd suspect this stems from tolerances not being quite as tight as the OE rotors (because OE has extremely tight tolerances), so I plan to go back to OE after I use the aftermarket ones up.

I'd second the suggestion of looking at pads for increased performance as well if you're not happy with the OE hardware. You'll get much more bang for your buck with a set of track pads than aftermarket rotors.

Thanks, great feedback.
Cool SS is offline   Reply With Quote