Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Haven't tried it on suede, but my Uchida red dye used on the very light grey stitches on my 2SS steering wheel, seats, and all other stitches looks fine one year later.

Glen was right, have to go slow and go over at least twice. The fine tip does blunt fairly quickly, however I was able to use just one pen for the steering wheel and got good results. I used a total of 3 for the entire interior. He's he guru on such things and they are cheap so better to not run out of ink or have a too worn tip. Amazon has them as do Michaels and fabric stores.

And it does take a lot of time as there is a ton of hard to access stitching.

I don't have a handy photo of the steering wheel, but all the stitches in the car look like this. The rear seat area was the hardest for me as the access was so limited.

How good did your steering wheel come out? How long did that take?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Took me maybe an hour to an hour and a half all in if I remember the event correctly. Have to do it in good light and go over each area at least twice. I did small batch of maybe 3 to 5 stitches, and then came back over with a micro fibre towel to clean up any residue before it dried. That is how I did all the stitching in the car. Came out fine in my opinion.

There is some crazy stitching patterns on the steering wheel, so take your time, go at it in different angles. And like Glen said, the fine tip wears out pretty fast, so keep that in mind.

I think going to black will be much easier then the red I did. The contrast will show up very well and don't go too fast when applying the dye, you want it to wick into the stitching. Too fast won't allow too much dye transfer is what I found. Once you get into it, you will find out what works speed wise.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM   #17
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Took me maybe an hour to an hour and a half all in if I remember the event correctly. Have to do it in good light and go over each area at least twice. I did small batch of maybe 3 to 5 stitches, and then came back over with a micro fibre towel to clean up any residue before it dried. That is how I did all the stitching in the car. Came out fine in my opinion.

There is some crazy stitching patterns on the steering wheel, so take your time, go at it in different angles. And like Glen said, the fine tip wears out pretty fast, so keep that in mind.

I think going to black will be much easier then the red I did. The contrast will show up very well and don't go too fast when applying the dye, you want it to wick into the stitching. Too fast won't allow too much dye transfer is what I found. Once you get into it, you will find out what works speed wise.
Cool, thanks!