Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Who else watches the attendant select the fuel octane?
Yea, I do it all the time! 4 50.00%
Sometimes if I think about it. 0 0%
Nah, never really thought about it 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2022, 09:37 PM   #1
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Am I the only one doing this?

So when I fill up at the gas station, I have to watch the attendant hit my octane selection that I asked for.
I have to have 93 to run well and I want to make sure that's what my car gets.

Who else does this? Am I just paranoid?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:04 PM   #2
DirtyDirt

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I have not been to a full service station, or even saw one here in Michigan in 20 plus years at least. So im not doin it...lol
15% tint
Matte Black Rally Stripe
2016 Camaro SS Black Chrome PVD Wheels
Pedal Commander

2013 ZL1 BOUGHT 10-29-23 With 1950 miles
K&N Full CAI
15% tint
Few cosmetic additions when it comes out of winter hibernation
DirtyDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #3
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
So when I fill up at the gas station, I have to watch the attendant hit my octane selection that I asked for.
I have to have 93 to run well and I want to make sure that's what my car gets.

Who else does this? Am I just paranoid?
If someone else was fueling my car other than me it would be the wife.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #4
FasNuf

Haha, I just realized how flawed my post really is. Being in Oregon, I think we are only one of two states that has people fill your tank at the gas station. I believe New Jersey is the other. In fact, by state statute, it's illegal for an attendant to allow you to fuel your own vehicle. Motorcycles seem to be excluded from this though. Well, silly me, but I guess you guys can understand why I peep a look when they hit that button!
Old 09-12-2022, 11:13 PM   #5
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Haha, I just realized how flawed my post really is. Being in Oregon, I think we are only one of two states that has people fill your tank at the gas station. I believe New Jersey is the other. In fact, by state statute, it's illegal for an attendant to allow you to fuel your own vehicle. Motorcycles seem to be excluded from this though. Well, silly me, but I guess you guys can understand why I peep a look when they hit that button!
I lived in Oregon for 55 years until I finally escaped 4 years ago, so I get it.

But living in a small town just west of Eugene for almost 30 years, people there got to know me and understood that I was always driving something they weren't allowed to fuel. My 75 Corvette? Nope, you are NOT going to hold a gas hose over the back of the car. My 27 Model T? They didn't even argue. haha

So yeah, I was always able to choose my own type of fuel.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:51 AM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
The last time I let somebody else fuel my vehicle was in Loves Park, IL about 1982. Filled my '69 442 up with Sunoco Unleaded Premium (no more 240 or 260) and the attendant left my cap loose! I departed the station under full throttle and left a trail of 92 octane a block long. I've handled my refuel duties ever since.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:24 AM   #7
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Everyone talking about not letting anyone else fill up their tanks... I'm sure he would fill up his own tank if he was allowed. I know that in New Jersey, you are not allowed to fill up your own gas. Apparently in Oregon as well. So the OP has no choice. I would definitely be watching the attendant very closely.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #8
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
This reminds me of a funny story.

When I met my GF she didn't even know how to pump her own gas.

She would drive around until she found a full serve station(we have a few left here) or bat her eyelashes at some guy and look helpless thereby getting him to do it

I taught her everything automotive..... how to check her oil,fill her tires pump gas ect.

Her ex did all that and she never learned....until now
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #9
FasNuf

[QUOTE=... I'm sure he would fill up his own tank if he was allowed. I know that in New Jersey, you are not allowed to fill up your own gas. Apparently in Oregon as well. [/QUOTE]

I've pumped it myself here in Oregon a handful of times, but pretty much when they were just too slow to get to me and I was in a hurry.

So to clarify for some here, it's illegal for the attendant to allow me to pump my own, but it's not illegal for me to pump it myself. Some attendants get a little upset, some appreciate it because they know they're swamped.

Not having to get out in the freezing rain is nice though.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:45 AM   #10
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
I've pumped it myself here in Oregon a handful of times, but pretty much when they were just too slow to get to me and I was in a hurry.

So to clarify for some here, it's illegal for the attendant to allow me to pump my own, but it's not illegal for me to pump it myself. Some attendants get a little upset, some appreciate it because they know they're swamped.

Not having to get out in the freezing rain is nice though.
Very true. Car is nicely tucked away in the garage on a day like that.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #11
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i used to pump gas about 5 miles from U Conn when i was in high school.lots of college girls out running around looking for trouble...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirt View Post
I have not been to a full service station, or even saw one here in Michigan in 20 plus years at least. So im not doin it...lol

This. I have never in my entire life had someone pump gas into my vehicle other than myself, my wife, or my son. I can't say that I had anxiety over wondering which button they pushed, either, but that's just me.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #13
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Haha, I just realized how flawed my post really is. Being in Oregon, I think we are only one of two states that has people fill your tank at the gas station.
Yeah, wondered about that.

I bet they are struggling to keep attendants on the payroll in this economy too.
Those electric cars will sure fix any attendant shortage they might have tho.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:31 AM   #14
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I also live in Oregon and have always verify if the attendant picked the right octane.
Having owned a lot of premium only vehicles, asking for premium is second nature.

The stations I frequent in my area know the my car and the attendants are sports car guys themselves, so accidentally filling my commuter car with premium is a more common occurrence.

Only a handful of times I have pumped my own gas in the state.
They tend to allow self pumping when there are heat waves or bad wild fire smoke.
Also, I have done it myself because no one was in sight and I was in a hurry.
It's nice to roll up to a station and just pump yourself instead of waiting for a guy trying to handle 6 other cars...
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote