Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-12-2023, 02:15 PM   #1
Ck1984

Drives: 2015 camaro LFX V6
washboard roads.

if a guy lives ina neighborhood with trashed roads full of washboards, whats gonna help the suspension best to soak up all these bumps w/o rattling my car to pieces over the years.

1. firmer bushings on rear pumpkin, like the 68 rated blacks or even red urethane 98rated versus the stock rated 48 blacks
2. signifacantly lighter wheel/tire combo
3. other.....

right now, on the worst sections accelerating around a corner my rearend goes into some bad resonance type bouncing that does NOT sound good or feel good.
Aftermarket Oval mufflers
Ck1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:28 AM   #2
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
In general, harder bushings will improve cornering stability but they will transfer more road noise, vibration, and hardness (NVH).
Since the camaros have an independent rear suspension, changing the differential mount bushings shouldn't appreciably change the amount of NVH (unless it transfers up the axles, through the diff, and to the frame via the bushings); however, changing the differential mount bushings will transfer more diff noise to the frame/driver's compartment. If yours whines (mine does under power), it'll whine louder.

Re wheels and tires: less weight might help; more sidewall will definitely help. Low profile tires are much stiffer than older style, taller side walled tires. If the roads are truly that bad, reducing the wheel diameter by an inch, if they'll still fit over the calipers, and increasing the sidewall height will give you a little more give over bumps and maintain proper speed calculation.

There really aren't a ton of "other" options to decrease road noise in these cars. The suspensions are designed to be stiff to enable handling and it comes at the cost of comfort.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
Ck1984

Drives: 2015 camaro LFX V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
In general, harder bushings will improve cornering stability but they will transfer more road noise, vibration, and hardness (NVH).
Since the camaros have an independent rear suspension, changing the differential mount bushings shouldn't appreciably change the amount of NVH (unless it transfers up the axles, through the diff, and to the frame via the bushings); however, changing the differential mount bushings will transfer more diff noise to the frame/driver's compartment. If yours whines (mine does under power), it'll whine louder.

Re wheels and tires: less weight might help; more sidewall will definitely help. Low profile tires are much stiffer than older style, taller side walled tires. If the roads are truly that bad, reducing the wheel diameter by an inch, if they'll still fit over the calipers, and increasing the sidewall height will give you a little more give over bumps and maintain proper speed calculation.

There really aren't a ton of "other" options to decrease road noise in these cars. The suspensions are designed to be stiff to enable handling and it comes at the cost of comfort.
my rearend doesnt seem to whine, if it does , its overpowered by the drone from 1800-2050 rpm which is why ive already ordered some some deadening to install in trunk floor and under rear seat.

And my winter tires and wheels are 18s with taller sidewall but theyre heavy basic steels, so at least theres that. I will have to wait n see how that ends up.....
Aftermarket Oval mufflers
Ck1984 is offline   Reply With Quote