Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
RotoFab--Worse MPG until Tuned?

So I spent part of this afternoon washing & waxing the car & installing my RotoFab CAI (top of breather tube snapped off somehow so it took a little longer than expected as I had to use electrical tape to wrap and seal it--thanks to RotoFab for the awesome customer support ). Overall a pretty easy install and definitely love the fit and finish of the unit, but I noticed after driving to the gym and to the store that my gas mileage seemed a little worse than normal...is the car running richer now? I'm just wondering if other people that installed the RotoFab without a tune have noticed this as well.

Definitely love the sound of the blower now

2012 ZL1 Coupe (M6) #80 (SOLD)

2007 Ducati 1098 (SOLD)
2006 Yamaha R6 (Track/Race Only )
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
I broke top of my breather tube too when I installed my Rotofab. Not sure about MPG?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Seems like an issue, how do we "not break" our breather tube any advice for those of us waiting in the wings?
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
My MPG hasn't changed at all, still get 13/19 ... Also I think when installing, I removed the breather tube from the engine side first, and removed the line and air box as one unit. That way I was able to pull straight on the air box end without breaking anything.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Is the whine distinctive now with the intake installed?
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post

Big Time !!! That's why some get bad mpg's ...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Yes, very!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
DadzZL1

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2013 Porsche 911
I would guess that it might take 50 or so miles on the car for the computer to re learn and then your MPG might pick back up. Just a thought, certainly don't know for a fact.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Yes, very!
After hearing that, this mod just got bumped up on the list of things to do. Thanks guys!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I installed mine a week after I got the car. MPG.... I have no clue. I haven't even started the car since I got it. It was flat decked right into my garage without having to start it! When I do start to drive it in the spring the MPG in the DIC will be one screen never viewed. Fuel economy was not on the list when I ordered it! The smile covers the fuel additional fuel consumption! This car is all about the fun factor!

Last edited by Tyler H; 03-18-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
I put 567 miles on mine yesterday and averaged 18.2. This included a stretch where the cruise was set at 93. Still no tune and no CELs. and yes it runs very rich..Note it always has nothing new

Last edited by pumpkinrancho; 03-18-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: clearifiaton
pumpkinrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
It sounds awesome.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
In regards to possibly running rich-fuel trims and AFR with the Roto-fab are very close to stock, so your car shouldn't be running rich. There was a great deal of R & D to make sure the AFRs and FTs duplicate stock numbers as closely as possible.
With driving habits remaining the same, we typically hear there is a slight improvement in fuel economy with our system. However, there is a natural tendancy to use the pedal a little more when the sound is more pleasing to the ear!
Until the OP contacted us, we didn't realize anyone had a problem with breaking the top off of the breather canister. For those preparing to install, press the release tab on the top factory connector all the way in the direction it travels. With the lever fully depressed, pull straight upwards to disconnect from the canister. Sometimes it helps to push downward on the fitting, then pull straight upwards. Remove the canister from the air tube after you have removed the inlet elbow from the car.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
In regards to possibly running rich-fuel trims and AFR with the Roto-fab are very close to stock, so your car shouldn't be running rich. There was a great deal of R & D to make sure the AFRs and FTs duplicate stock numbers as closely as possible.
With driving habits remaining the same, we typically hear there is a slight improvement in fuel economy with our system. However, there is a natural tendancy to use the pedal a little more when the sound is more pleasing to the ear!
Until the OP contacted us, we didn't realize anyone had a problem with breaking the top off of the breather canister. For those preparing to install, press the release tab on the top factory connector all the way in the direction it travels. With the lever fully depressed, pull straight upwards to disconnect from the canister. Sometimes it helps to push downward on the fitting, then pull straight upwards. Remove the canister from the air tube after you have removed the inlet elbow from the car.
Great info, will be getting one this spring. Do you have instruction vid doing one on the zl1, It would be nice seeing one done with good instructions, I see on the blog guys moving ground cable out of the way and now this. I know they are easy to install but my luck I will break something. I really like you guys at rotofab for keeping us zl1 owners informed on all your products and how you stand behind what you sell this really means alot to me. Soon here in the cold states we can get our cars out and the first thing for me is the cai ( rotofab) cant wait. YOU GUYS ROCK
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote