Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #43
bobmac427

Drives: 2008 Z06
Gezzz, if you're gonna spend that kind of $$ get a nice used 10 or 11 ZR1.
bobmac427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #44
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Seriously... I think that AWD is the wave of the future. I can't think of a better way to "hook up" in ANY weather, especially when the HP/torque numbers are huge. It's a real spoiler in the RAIN. I had a DODGE Stealth R/T Twin Turbo & more recently a MITSUBISHI 3000GT VR-4; nothing could beat those cars in the wet & it does rain every so often. The real beauty is being able to dump all that power on dry pavement & get with the program w/o any drama.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #45
stymie

I wouldn't get a ZR1 for the same reason as the GT-R... minimal approach angle. I had a '77 L82 Corvette with sidepipes; never again. Even my '74 Z28 was a be-otch with Hooker headers giving a whopping 2.5" of ground clearance. NO JOY! The ZL1 is LOW, but not that low.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Always been a RWD fan.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #47
stymie

I grew up loving & driving some pretty sweet American muscle back in the '70s & '80s; the ZL1 is like a nostalgia trip back in time, only BETTER! I will admit getting hooked on Japanese GT cars with turbocharged 6s with AWD. The reliability alone was worth the price of admission. Build quality never disappointed.

You MUST drive a monster with All Wheel Drive to fully appreciate the engineering.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
I grew up loving & driving some pretty sweet American muscle back in the '70s & '80s; the ZL1 is like a nostalgia trip back in time, only BETTER! I will admit getting hooked on Japanese GT cars with turbocharged 6s with AWD. The reliability alone was worth the price of admission. Build quality never disappointed.

You MUST drive a monster with All Wheel Drive to fully appreciate the engineering.
I can appreciate it. I just prefer RWD.

A friend of mine had an higher-tier Impreza (I think?) It was an older one he had done some stuff to. Wow, what a ride. In the dry or even in snow, that car was a LOT of fun.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #49
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
I don't feel this is a question that we are capable of answering for you, your a grown adult. The next high end car I want is an Audi R8 GT and that's well outside of what I probably would ever afford, otherwise, The ZL1 is everything I wanted in a car and then some so it's the perfect car for me. Can you say that about either of these cars? If so, if you can say that about just one of them then that is the car you should go with. If you can say that about both then you need to determine which you want more. Ultimately you need to be happy with your choice, so think about owning one car and not the other and note how that would make you feel, then reverse the scenario. That should help you determine which you want more.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #50
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
My friend has a GTR and it is a monster! He has a few mods and a tune and is putting down 530rwhp. I think either the ZL1 or the GTR will be great rides.

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #51
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
My friend has a GTR and it is a monster! He has a few mods and a tune and is putting down 530rwhp. I think either the ZL1 or the GTR will be great rides.

Hey I know those garages ...you can tell from my avatar photo that I ride that track alot. I plan on taking the ZL1 there for a trackday in the near future
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #52
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Keep in mind that 09 GT-Rs were not 90K. They were under 70k before dealer adjustments for their "rarity". And the GT-R will always be more rare than the ZL1, and you're more likely to see a ZL-1 driving around than any of the GT-Rs, regardless of the year. Also, the interiors can not even comapre, Nissans is much better from what I've seen in the ZL1 at SEMA and Barrett Jackson. It may be a bunch of buttons, but the newer ones also have a leather covered dash, and the plastics are also very high quality. They also use soft touch materials in any place where the driver interacts with the vehicle, or may come in contact with while driving. ZL-1 is an amazing car, but the GT-R is the exotic car slayer, even the 09s. If it was up to me, if everything checked out on the car and I could swing the maintenance, I would go for it. At 66k, it would be tough for me, knowing that brand new it was 70 and it's 3 years old.
'09 GT-R's were $84995 before the dealership markups.

They are also known to have issues with the transmissions (grenade anyone?) if you launch the car too hard.

Break jobs are $2500, if a tire gets cut you have to replace ALL of them if the tread is off by more than 1/16".

There are lots of reasons to avoid buying an '09, the biggest being IT'S USED and you never know if it was cared for or abused.

Would you buy a '10 SS with 9k miles on it? If so, contact Supercharged SS, I doubt his car has many more miles than that on it. They went on about 1/2 mile at a time.

Save yourself the headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #53
stymie

I'd LOVE to see a ZL1 with AWD. That would be a heavy beast unless some miracles were performed. To get the balance right, it would probably be a turbocharged 6. It used to be that high performance AWD cars tended to plow/understeer. With a rear wheel bias & splitting power among four corners... you can drive it just like a rear wheel drive vehicle & have the advantage of superior traction or the ability to drift it on command with oversteer.

I seriously doubt we'll see an AWD Camaro in this decade. It's more likely to be Corvette territory.