Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #29
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins motorsport View Post
Well if its under warranty that would help but my 300C was supposedly a SEMA build buy a pro shop and let me tell ya its a PAIN IN THE @$$ to keep up

Sounds like the car goin to be a pain, You gambling with alot of cash! ZL1 for the win!
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Launch control on the 2009 was a major issue. The new tranny upgrade and software have ironed this out, but only for model years above 2009. 2010 they just dropped the rpm down and didn't really fix the problem until 2011.

Bottom line, I'd get a gtr but I would pony up the extra money and get a used 2011 or even a 10. 9k or not, I wouldn't be messing around with a 3 year old car that has a verified problem with its launch control.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Inside Line had a 2009 GT-R they said it was a pain in the A@#, and always needed tires. They beat the living blank out of it and then sold it for 50K. The article is someone where on their site, and it goes into details about all the GT-R problems. That being said it is a monster of a car.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #32
doctorwill

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss, 2015 Z06,
The GTR is a beast bro...My cousin had a 2009 GTr, now with a 2011 GTR...Heads up, he and other GTR owners had major issues with the transmission (esp after using launch control). Make sure you check out the transmission and see if it was raced or not...
doctorwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
USED GTR is simply a RISK. Not to mention driving is tight like a sardine can and long hauls will give you remorse.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
BriteCrawler

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey123456 View Post
Ok so I am a soon to be ZL1 owner. The Nissan GTR is my favorite car though. All of you guys talking about rice rocket don't know what you are talking about. That GTR with about 5k in mods will run 10 second quarter miles. It is an absolute beast. The quality of the GTR is much higher than that of a ZL1. Remember that is a 90k car for 66k! I would get the GTR if you can verify that it has not been launched or abused. Just put the spoiler back on it please! If you question anything about that car, then the second choice of a ZL1 is nothing to be ashamed of!
The GTR is not exactly known for it's build quality. What it's known for is ludicrously high maintenance cost, transmission issues, and brake fade during even normal driving. It is by no means a comfortable car, and it eats tires like cookie monster gets down on chocolate chips.
BriteCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
Bobbyosto

Drives: 2013 Camaro & 2012 Corvette GS
I can't stand the looks of that car, but it is a rocket....price; no comment, don't know anything about their market, just know about the launch control issue and the warranty; not good
Bobbyosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Stick with the ZL1, imho, IcePick.

Time to get an American supercar in your hands.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #37
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

I don't think he wants a 2013 GT500.

I keed i keed
Old 01-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I'd stick with the ZL-1. Getting a $90k car for ~30% off with only 9000 miles... it doesn't sound right. I like the GT-R but I'd rather swing a brand new one, meaning I'd need to really be able to afford it.

Do some research. Look up every factor that goes into the maintainence costs of both cars and go from there.

I'd prefer the ZL-1 because its:
1) Brand new fresh from the factory, never driven(ish).
2) Brand new on the streets, the camaro still has that exotic newness to it (depending where you live) and the ZL1 will refresh that and will be a true head turner.
3) You will own a reborn legend.
4) Comparing the interior, I think the ZL1 may win this one. That GTR interior is a bunch of buttons and plastic, it reminds me of my old entertainment system in my living room.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #39
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
I'd stick with the ZL-1. Getting a $90k car for ~30% off with only 9000 miles... it doesn't sound right. I like the GT-R but I'd rather swing a brand new one, meaning I'd need to really be able to afford it.

Do some research. Look up every factor that goes into the maintainence costs of both cars and go from there.

I'd prefer the ZL-1 because its:
1) Brand new fresh from the factory, never driven(ish).
2) Brand new on the streets, the camaro still has that exotic newness to it (depending where you live) and the ZL1 will refresh that and will be a true head turner.
3) You will own a reborn legend.
4) Comparing the interior, I think the ZL1 may win this one. That GTR interior is a bunch of buttons and plastic, it reminds me of my old entertainment system in my living room.
Keep in mind that 09 GT-Rs were not 90K. They were under 70k before dealer adjustments for their "rarity". And the GT-R will always be more rare than the ZL1, and you're more likely to see a ZL-1 driving around than any of the GT-Rs, regardless of the year. Also, the interiors can not even comapre, Nissans is much better from what I've seen in the ZL1 at SEMA and Barrett Jackson. It may be a bunch of buttons, but the newer ones also have a leather covered dash, and the plastics are also very high quality. They also use soft touch materials in any place where the driver interacts with the vehicle, or may come in contact with while driving. ZL-1 is an amazing car, but the GT-R is the exotic car slayer, even the 09s. If it was up to me, if everything checked out on the car and I could swing the maintenance, I would go for it. At 66k, it would be tough for me, knowing that brand new it was 70 and it's 3 years old.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #40
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Yea I think I will , I'm pretty excited since the ZL1 is the 1st car I've ever ordered directly . Plus it will hold it's value pretty well I think, so if down the road I decide to sell it and upgrade to a 2011+ GTR I won't be in such bad shape.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
Yea I think I will , I'm pretty excited since the ZL1 is the 1st car I've ever ordered directly . Plus it will hold it's value pretty well I think, so if down the road I decide to sell it and upgrade to a 2011+ GTR I won't be in such bad shape.
Awesome!! And after a bout of "Ultra Grin", it'll be interesting to see if you ever want to get rid of it.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #42
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
A friend of mine picked up a Ltd. Edition Black/Black 2012 NISSAN GT-R & took me for the proverbial spin around the block. This is the same car that I passed on due to its 8.5° approach angle. With a 10° sloped driveway leading to my garage where I could park it safely for the night, it just wasn't happening. I could have voided the OEM warranty & installed an Umbrella Auto Design VRH/VariableRideHeight pneumatic lift kit to gain an additional 2.5" of clearance front & rear on demand while in motion. This system operates off of two toggle switches that are dash mounted. They activate a small compressor/reserve tank that provides lift within 2 seconds. Perfect for pesky steep driveways, speed bumps & roadways prepped for asphalt paving. I was quoted $13.5K for the VRH kit installed. That figure includes the req'd KW adjustable coil overs & miscellaneous components + installation at a NISSAN authorized GT-R dealer. MSRP for the GT-R was $96.6K & my friend got it for $92.5K; not a bad deal these days. Current pricing is right at $99.6K & the next jump is expected to be around as additional $20K... OUCH!

I had just sold my '98 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 to RK MOTORS in NC in anticipation of purchasing a GT-R. My friend's GT-R had enough miles on it to try "launch control" for the 1st time & so that's just what we did. Flip some switches, put your foot on the brake & rev the engine until it hits about 4K, pull your foot off the brake as you hammer the gas... WHAM! Instant HOOKUP. AWD gets power to the ground like you would not believe. It was like you're parked on the shoulder of a highway & a semi wanders off & smacks you in the rear! It was absolutely BRUTAL! Shifts were nano-second quick. Just watching the speedometer climb like there's no tomorrow was a sight to behold. Cornering power was equally superb. The build quality is excellent; it's a superb machine, BUT it's more at home on the track than on real world roads. The front spoiler is part of the chassis & it cannot me modded for clearance. I like factory warranties, so the car was out of the question for me. Hey... I love twin intercooled turbos & AWD, but the ZL1 was more inline with what I consider more than adequate performance for a non Winter daily driver. There's a LOT of places you can't take a GT-R w/o bottoming out. BTW: using "launch control" does NOT void the current NISSAN GT-R warranty; that only applied to the early cars. The new ones are modded to handle the jolt w/o trashing the tranny & axels.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote