Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins motorsport View Post
I had to request mine from the dealer then had to sign a paper saying that the dealer had removed them. They told me that GM had sent out a memo telling them not to give the blocks to the customer for fear that the owner may put them back in and attempt to sue saying they hadn't been removed. So if you didn't get yours then you better get on it bc they may refuse to hand them over.
Your dealer is an idiot. The bulletin says to place the spacers in the glovebox for the customer in case the car ever needs to be trailered again.

Anything with MR suspension needs the spacers installed when trailered for two reasons. Gives the front approach clearance, and the MR shocks have very little dampening when the key is off. It will be bouncing all over the place if not cranked down against the spring spacers.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #16
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Drives: GM Toyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Your dealer is an idiot. The bulletin says to place the spacers in the glovebox for the customer in case the car ever needs to be trailered again.

Anything with MR suspension needs the spacers installed when trailered for two reasons. Gives the front approach clearance, and the MR shocks have very little dampening when the key is off. It will be bouncing all over the place if not cranked down against the spring spacers.
So every time it is trailered you have to put the spacers in? Never heard that before, and we have never done it with our ZR1. Jacking this car up every time to get them out makes no sense. Is it in the manual, or instructions somewhere that the spacers have to be in when trailered? Our dealer left them in as instructed, and took them out before we put it on the trailer, and we had no problems. Trailered it back for 9 hours, and didn't have issues. If this is true, that they need to be in for trailering, please post up where it's stated. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
One question about the spacers, are they in the front and rear, or just the front? If they are only in the front and needed for trailering, what do you do for the rear?
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
This. Early production spacers were black. They switched to yellow later in hopes that the yellow would catch the dealers eye during PDI.
Yea, Epic Fail for my dealer . I called the fleet manager who does the courtesty deliveries this morning and he said,
"well I found your yellow spring spacers...the guy that did your PDI took them out because he said they were making a bunch of noise as he was driving around during PDI "

I immediately told him: "you know the majority of screw ups in life are because people failed to READ and FOLLOW directions." I then proceeded to tell him how I learned such an important life lesson regarding this topic, as my 4th grade teacher gave us all a math test one day and said you have 5 minutes to complete this 4 page math test and it will determine half of your grade! So the teacher pulled out his stopwatch and said "START" and every student grabbed their pencil and started calculating and working and before you knew it the teacher said "OK, STOP!" and every student started whining, and saying "WAIT WE NEED MORE TIME!" Then the teacher laughed and said, "NO YOU DON'T...YOU DIDN'T READ THE FINE PRINT ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE TEST THAT SAID INSTRUCTIONS: WRITE YOUR NAME ON EACH PAGE OF THIS TEST AND PUT YOUR PENCIL DOWN AND YOU ARE FINISHED! Obviously, I remembered from that day on to ALWAYS read directions...now pass it on

I also found some type of residue (It looks like a fine scratch) next to the passenger air vent but I will use some rubbing alcohol to see if it comes off before I go complaining to the dealership. I know the plastic parts of the dash aren't perfect, but if it is scratched somehow, it will annoy the hell out of me so I will need GM to remedy the situation.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 HRSS View Post
So every time it is trailered you have to put the spacers in? Never heard that before, and we have never done it with our ZR1. Jacking this car up every time to get them out makes no sense. Is it in the manual, or instructions somewhere that the spacers have to be in when trailered? Our dealer left them in as instructed, and took them out before we put it on the trailer, and we had no problems. Trailered it back for 9 hours, and didn't have issues. If this is true, that they need to be in for trailering, please post up where it's stated. Thanks for the info.
It's in the delivery document that GM sent to all the dealers. Tells them to put the spacers in the glove box for the customer to use any time the vehicle is trailered. It's also in the owner's manual. These two locations say it is for front end clearance. So if your trailer situation had enough clearance, probably fine then.

I do remember way back when MR first came out, probably 10 years ago... I took a class on the Caddy MR system. And in that training they discussed that if the key was off, the MR shocks have very little dampening, car could be too bouncy on a trailer. Now that was Caddy's. Maybe the Vette/Camaro variation of MR is different and the spacers are just for clearance. Here is the exact wording:

Remove the spring spacers from the front suspension and place them in the glove box for the customer. If the car is to be on a trailer for any reason, the spacers need to be placed back in the front springs to obtain ground clearance.

Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Just leave the key in the ON position when you have to tow it. Problem solved.

Someone should leave the key "ON" to see how long it takes for the Magnetic shocks to drain the battery.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Mine were tossed when they prepped the car. I didn't even think to look for them until it was mentioned here about the PDI bulletin. No harm, no foul. That will be the hard to find part worth 5 grand on ebay 30 years from now.....
Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
Just leave the key in the ON position when you have to tow it. Problem solved.

Someone should leave the key "ON" to see how long it takes for the Magnetic shocks to drain the battery.
I don't think any new ZL1 owner wants to experiment with draining their battery just because the spacers were left out. Most tow truck guys can jack up the car enough to install the spacers and then your problem is solved without fear of a dead battery too.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #23
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
These spacers are supposed to come with the vehicle. If, those of you who did not receive them, have any trouble getting them from your dealers let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #24
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
These spacers are supposed to come with the vehicle. If, those of you who did not receive them, have any trouble getting them from your dealers let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Good customer service
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
CJ1034

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM Manual
Spacers

Mine were shipped with the car and removed by the dealer. I got them with the car. They even gave me the original Schrader valve caps, they took them off and put the nitrogen symbol caps on. I also got the original sticker with the higher price before they deducted the $600 for the hood scoop credit we all got. Seems it matters what dealer you use, mine sells more high end Corvettes and Cadillac CTS V's than anyone and the know how to take car of customers who want to save everything. Plus, if its in the manual (I haven't looked yet) and we are supposed to get the pacers then it looks like the dealer owes him a set.
CJ1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
350 HRSS
GM Toyz Lover

Drives: GM Toyz
We have trailered it twice with no issues, so that is a good thing. Spacers are saved with all other factory materials. Our trailers have been modified to be able to load the ZL1 and ZR1 on with no problems. So, if the spacers were for a clearing issue only, we are good to go.

Good info though, and thanks!