The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Reveals 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500HD/5500HD/6500HD

Chevrolet Unveils the 2019 Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD and 6500HD at NTEA The Work Truck Show
General Motors

March 7, 2018

• All-New Silverado conventional cabs will be the most customer-focused medium-duty trucks of any major competitor
  • Easy to upfit: Clean, one-piece straight frame rails, seven Cab-to-Axle options
  • Easy to drive: Excellent maneuverability, factory air suspension
  • Easy to service: Lightweight clamshell hood allows "walk up" access to engine

INDIANAPOLIS —Chevrolet revealed its first-ever Silverado Class 4, 5 and 6 chassis cab trucks today at NTEA The Work Truck Show – three supremely capable conventional cab models will be the most customer-focused trucks of any major competitor.

“Chevy’s designers and engineers were obsessed with making this Silverado the most customer-focused medium duty truck of any major competitor,” said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president, GM Fleet. “By customer-focused, I mean work-ready trucks that are easy to upfit, easy to drive, easy to service and easy to own.”

The Trucks Dealers, Customers and Upfitters Asked For

The input of fleet managers, truck drivers, upfitters, technicians and Chevrolet dealers drove the development of the new Silverados.

“It’s not just numbers on a spec sheet that make us different and better,” said John Schwegman, director of Commercial Product and Medium Duty at GM Fleet. “These new Silverados are designed to solve the most common upfit and ownership challenges fleets have with many of today’s medium duty trucks.”

Proven Power

The Silverado will be available in 2WD and 4WD and will be powered by a 6.6-liter Duramax diesel engine with 350 horsepower and 700 lb.-ft. of torque and Allison transmissions with a Power Take Off (PTO) option.

“When you consider all of the flexibility, capability and durability we have engineered into the Silverado, along with the proven power of Allison transmissions and the Duramax diesel engine, we have a medium duty truck line that will appeal to both Chevrolet loyalists and competitive owners alike,” said Schwegman.

The Most Connected Medium Duty Truck

The Silverado will also be the most connected commercial truck available, thanks to options that include OnStar and Commercial Link, a built-in 4GLTE Wi-Fi hotspot (paid data plan required), wireless cellphone charging, Bluetooth and support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Production and Ordering

Production of the new Silverado begins in late 2018. Order guides will be available this spring and pricing will be announced this summer. More than 400 commercially-focused Chevrolet dealers are expected to carry the new Silverado line.

GM Fleet Momentum

The launch of the All-New Silverados will build on the momentum Chevrolet and GM Fleet have been building over several years.

“Chevrolet’s return to the conventional cab medium duty segment is part of a multi-year strategy to earn the business and loyalty of Commercial and Government customers by expanding into new product segments, delivering innovative business solutions, superior value and an exceptional customer experience,” Peper said.

In 2017, GM Fleet delivered nearly 300,000 units to Commercial and Government customers – the most since 2008 – and gained almost 1.4 percentage points of market share.

Chevrolet has been the growth engine:
  • Chevrolet’s three-truck pickup strategy, built around the Colorado mid-size pickup and the Silverado ˝-ton and 1-ton models, has made General Motors the leader in pickup deliveries for four consecutive years.
  • New dedicated Commercial and Government products, including the Colorado box-delete and Low Cab Forward, have helped turn the brand into a “one stop shop” for fleet managers and small businesses.
  • Chevrolet has been the broadest portfolio of B20-capable diesel-powered cars, crossovers and trucks in the industry, including the Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox, Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD, Express, Low Cab Forward – and now the new Silverado in class 4,5 and 6 configurations.
  • A very strategic and disciplined approach to the daily rental market helps to support resale values.

“It’s a fact: The more choices we offer truck customers, the more we drive sales across our entire portfolio. That’s because brand and dealer loyalty run deep in this business,” Peper said.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I hear the main reason for them to be re-entering the medium truck market is so that companies buying trucks can do a bit of 'one stop shopping' and order every truck they need (short of a semi) at once. I guess Ford has been getting quite a few sales that way for a while now & GM wants in on it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
jimmyp

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
They better get busy updating their vans then, Ford's got them beat there.
jimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...silverado.html

Starting at $48,465.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
They better get busy updating their vans then, Ford's got them beat there.
This ^ I have a ton of customers that are replacing old Chevy/GMC vans with new vans. So far 0 of them have replaced their GM van with a new GM van. Ford, Dodge, Nissan. If I was a contractor, there is 0% chance I would consider a GM van, the configurable roofs offered by other makes are way to nice of a feature to pass up in a work van.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
My last shop was a GMC dealer that sold medium duty trucks. We sold and serviced a lot of them. The drivers love them, and quite honestly they were a really good truck for pretty much anyone that didn't require a heavy duty vehicle. I work on a few from time to time now, the owners will spend whatever they need to keep them on the road because they don't want to get rid of them, they love them. It's a good thing GM was able to get back into the game, they'll sell a bunch.

Last edited by JerTM; 07-12-2018 at 02:24 PM.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I know growing in up farm country, all the farmers loved their topkicks. Glad to see Chevy's back.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
My last shop was a GMC dealer that sold medium duty trucks. We sold and serviced a lot of them. The drivers love them, and quite honestly they were a really good truck for pretty much anyone that didn't require a heavy duty vehicle. I work on a few from time to time now, the owners will spend whatever they need to keep them on the road because they don't want to get rid of them, they love them. It's a good thing GM was able to get back into the game, they'll sell a bunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
I know growing in up farm country, all the farmers loved their topkicks. Glad to see Chevy's back.
I see the same here now with a lot of local tow truck and utility companies.
I can also say my experience growing up with farmers in my family is that GMC and Chevrolet medium duty's was the choice for grain/farm trucks than any other brand here in my part of south Ga.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #9
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Here's Navistar's version of the Silverado medium duties....

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/...o-medium-duty/
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
One question: Will not they make a configuration on the Chevrolet page about these trucks to personalize them? or is it that they have not updated? or will they be sold in the dealers as dictated by Chevrolet?

And another question: can an individual consumer buy a single truck instead of a fleet? since as this is a commercial vehicle ...
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
One question: Will not they make a configuration on the Chevrolet page about these trucks to personalize them? or is it that they have not updated? or will they be sold in the dealers as dictated by Chevrolet?

And another question: can an individual consumer buy a single truck instead of a fleet? since as this is a commercial vehicle ...
They have configurators on the GM Fleet site, but the medium dutys are not on there quite yet.

For the second part, are you asking if you can buy just 1 truck (instead of a dozen)? Thats pretty straight forward. Fleet sales deals with small businesses with small orders all the time. On the other hand, if you want it as a personal vehicle ... even if you can (without resorting to legally dubious shenanigans), I don't know why you would want to buy a giant class 4 or class 5 chassis cab truck to drive every day.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #12
FenwickHockey65

If GM ever decides to slap a bed on one of these I guarantee you some people will buy it. "GOTTA HAVE THE BIGGEST CHEVY"
Old 12-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #13
lightsOUT

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Here's Navistar's version of the Silverado medium duties....

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/...o-medium-duty/
What is the point of this? Why do companies do this? Sterling did this same thing with Dodges a while back. Lasted a couple years and that’s it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
If GM ever decides to slap a bed on one of these I guarantee you some people will buy it. "GOTTA HAVE THE BIGGEST CHEVY"
No doubt. In fact it’s already happened many times with Ford and GM. Upfitter companies of course but many sold new through Chevy lots. I’m assuming retaining full factory warranty.
lightsOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They have configurators on the GM Fleet site, but the medium dutys are not on there quite yet.

For the second part, are you asking if you can buy just 1 truck (instead of a dozen)? Thats pretty straight forward. Fleet sales deals with small businesses with small orders all the time. On the other hand, if you want it as a personal vehicle ... even if you can (without resorting to legally dubious shenanigans), I don't know why you would want to buy a giant class 4 or class 5 chassis cab truck to drive every day.
Well, if I put my example, I would say that in the future I will work as a Civil Engineer, and where I live civil engineers are associated with construction companies or independent workers that is very common. I know that if I worked in a construction company, depending on my performance, I would be given tools to facilitate my work, even a vehicle, but in both cases, I would like to have a truck that could have the capacity to carry a load like an HD truck but bigger and that allows me to transport materials that a LD Heavy Duty truck could not transport, and that also allows me to transport several people.

It would not be my daily driver but it would be a work vehicle that has that familiar capacity too.

Besides ... This Behemoth does not look bad :
Attached Images

Last edited by JhonnyGTR; 12-21-2018 at 08:44 PM.
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote