The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #5461
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Granted it's just a patent drawing but those ridiculously small mirrors/stalks make me think this may be a concept previewing the actual product.
Or worse, camera mounts that replace mirrors. Sounds like something Cadillac would do to try an beat the curve.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #5462
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Profile looks like a C****o to me.
I wonder if it's the 7th generation Camaro disguised as a Cadillac for the purpose of the patent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Or worse, camera mounts that replace mirrors. Sounds like something Cadillac would do to try an beat the curve.
I was about to post the same thought.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #5463
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Audi's already implementing those I think.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #5464
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Quote:
Profile looks like a C****o to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Agree with Martin, that doesn't really look like a Caddy profile
Quote:

Cadillac grille, Cadillac headlights, Cadillac taillights...if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...
What I was hinting at is if Cadillac goes this route, you already have the basics set for a Gen7 Camaro. Cadillac would certainly have their own front and rear fascia. And possibly specific fender contour lines. But the profile is pretty much defined by the body in white, and that profile screams Camaro. Meaning it would be easy to do both cars.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #5465
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
What I was hinting at is if Cadillac goes this route, you already have the basics set for a Gen7 Camaro. Cadillac would certainly have their own front and rear fascia. And possibly specific fender contour lines. But the profile is pretty much defined by the body in white, and that profile screams Camaro. Meaning it would be easy to do both cars.
The last thing GM needs is to lose already low Camaro sales to Cadillac.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #5466
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
I would imagine the price point difference with comparable powerplants would minimize the issue. I would like essentially a 2019 Camaro with the new Cadillac twin turbo V8 that also doesn't look like a 2019 Camaro.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #5467
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It looks like it could very easily become the 7th gen Camaro. Also, has anyone noticed that it appears to be a hatchback, given the cutline at the top of the roof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Agree with Martin, that doesn't really look like a Caddy profile
To be fair, there is an extremely limited set of modern Cadillac coupes to use as a basis for what a Caddy coupe 'should' be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So what's to patent?....Same 'ole, same 'ole Cadillac....and another coupe that looks like 99% of all the others on the road....lol..

You think patents only apply to big, drastic, revolutionary ideas? 99.999% of those were patented ages ago.

Patent law tends to revolve around the minutia of the design. What is the ratio of this dimension to that one, the inclusion or arrangement of specific elements, the sharpness of this curve, etc.

Think of it like this: lets say you have a business and want to use a check mark as a logo. Just don't make it fat, tapering, and rounded, or else you'll have to deal with Nike. Of course, someone else probably owns the rights to a check mark with square edges & uniform thickness, and someone else owns square edges and tapers to points at each end, square edges capped by round points, one with a sharp angle, one with a wide angle, one where the 'tail' has a gentle curve upward, one with a gentle downward curve, and so on. But if you mix and match some of those, you might be able to call your design unique ... unless somebody already nabbed the rights to that design of course.

Quote:
I think external mirrors (with a set minimum size) are required in the US. That might get changed, and automakers would love to replace them to get rid of the drag, noise, and unsightliness of them. But to the best of my knowledge, its still the law of the land to require them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Look at the ATS vs the Camaro right now. The gap between the ATS and a similar Camaro ranges from a bit over 10 grand on the low end to nearly 25 between an ATS-V and an SS. I doubt the pricing will tighten between the 7th gen & the CT5 coupe. If anything, it might widen if the CT5 is supposed to straddle the space currently occupied by the ATS & CTS.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #5468
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It looks like it could very easily become the 7th gen Camaro. Also, has anyone noticed that it appears to be a hatchback, given the cutline at the top of the roof?
It was done with the 3rd generation Camaro, so it very well could happen again.

Quote:
I think external mirrors (with a set minimum size) are required in the US. That might get changed, and automakers would love to replace them to get rid of the drag, noise, and unsightliness of them. But to the best of my knowledge, its still the law of the land to require them.
It's only a matter of time.

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/08/07...less-vehicles/
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #5469
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Look at the ATS vs the Camaro right now. The gap between the ATS and a similar Camaro ranges from a bit over 10 grand on the low end to nearly 25 between an ATS-V and an SS. I doubt the pricing will tighten between the 7th gen & the CT5 coupe. If anything, it might widen if the CT5 is supposed to straddle the space currently occupied by the ATS & CTS.
Exactly. When I decided to retire and was thinking about what would replace my company car, ATS-V and CTS-V were on my original short list. They came off quickly because 1) Price, 2) No Vert 3) Price 4) Price.

And it’s not like I’m a cheapskate. ZL1 Vert and Grand Sport Vert were still on the list. I couldn’t justify (for me) the price difference between an SS vert and an ATS-V. And of course the price difference to an SS coupe is even greater than to an SS vert.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #5470
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I didn’t see the ATS Coupe stealing many Camaro sales.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #5471
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
From where are they expecting to pull sales? They've produced some damn good vehicles lately, but haven't been able to pull sales from European brands. Sadly, Cadillac may have another failed vehicle.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #5472
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I didn’t see the ATS Coupe stealing many Camaro sales.
I didn't see the ATS as being on par with the Camaro. I realize they're on the same platform, but the connection didn't seem to be there. The design presented here looks a lot like a Camaro, so I'm referring to the two having similar body styles.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #5473

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
https://www3.forbes.com/business/11-...-used-cars/11/

Cadillac was give 1st and 2nd place for most depreciation after three years...Makes a high sticker price hard to justify....just sayin'...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #5474
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I've been in a Yukon (pretty sure it was a Yukon but could have been a Suburban) that had a camera and screen that was in place of the rear view mirror. I did not like it, it was really hard to judge depth and spacing with. I like backup cameras as another backup view, but not in lieu of actual mirrors.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions