Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Suspension help and recommendations please

Ok so I've had my car for 3yrs now and I'm finally giving in and getting some suspension work done to her. I'm currently running 275/40/20 & 315/35/20; my question is how far can she be lowered before she starts to rub? I was looking to get the phastek 1.5" drop all around but not sure if it will rub with this tire setup. Any advice would be great, also I am not looking for coils, yes they are a better option but I'm not interested in them at this time. My car needs an alignment and might as well make it worthwhile by getting my moneys worth by lowering the car at the same time. Also for those who are lowered, how is the ride? And what springs are also a good recommendation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
You won't have tire rubbing with the stock wheels and tires, even if you're lowered 1.5 inches.
I have Forgeline 10 x 20 up front with Michelin PSS's 295/30 and 11 x 20 with 315/35's in the rear. I have 1LE shocks and struts and BMR 1" lowering springs, my tire/fender clearances are tight, but I have no rubbing. I wouldn't lower more than 1.5 inches due to the stress put on the rear axle cv joints.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Thanks for the input. I'm not running stock tires though, that's why I'm not sure if 1.5" is too low for these tires. Hopefully someone is running a similar setup before I take the gamble.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Bump!

Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
20" 315s aare going to rub. You'll get a lot who will say I have them and they don't rub and they are partially right. Load your car up with four people and hit a big bump, you'll rub. Way back when the Camaro TEAM tried to fit 315s on 20 inch wheels and could not eliminate rub with a full load.

I believe DSE has the highest rate rear coils to fit stock struts. Using a high rate rear coil will minimize your rub.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Thanks for your input, in the 3 years I've had her I can count on my fingers how many times I've had a full load of people but I'll probably just go back to stock tire size or something not so tall so I can get away with it.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Pete is right. 99% of the time I have no rubbing in the rear, but I have a window sticker that says "No fat chicks". Every once in a while I have to give my MIL a ride, that's when I try very hard to avoid potholes.