#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Hot454

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
New ZL1 Owner with some questions

Hi all,
I have been lurking here for over a year. I have been wanting to get a ZL1 since I 1st saw the 2017 press releases. There aren't many around in my Northern Illinois, Rockford area. I saw one online 32 miles from me in Wisconsin and had to go see it ASAP. I had wanted a 10 speed auto in Blue, Red or Garnet Red. This one is a 2017 Black 6 speed with only 550 miles. As you all know they are very addicting to drive! The test drive was all it took, I bought it 5/16 for $55.500. She has the Carbon hood insert, Navigation and Sunroof for options.

I want to get some paint correction and protection on her. Can anyone recommend a quality shop in the Northern Illinois or Southern Wisconsin area? Also, which is better, the XPEL or 3M Schotchgard Pro Series or something else?

Thanks so much!
Attached Images

Hot454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
Bye Bye Bye

Drives: 17 Camaro ZL1 6MT
Congratulations!!!
It's such a great piece of machinery.
The clutch, and strong launches are a bit of a learning curve, but I love the manual in this car - very smooth.

So I can't help you on detailing stuff, as I'm in Detroit, but I wanted to congratulate you and welcome you to the fold.
Bye Bye Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 AM   #3
Iceman_MD

Drives: 18 RS Camaro & 15 Z06 Vette
Welcome...

As someone who owns a black corvette, I will tell you that you have to be careful with polishing and who works on it... Maybe I'm just too anal, but I wouldn't trust anyone but myself to do anything to that paint unless they have a track record of working on super cars. Remember, no one will take care of that car like you will, my friend.

There are a ton of youtube videos giving good advice about how to care for a show car... Here are some brief tips:

Washing the car with "grit guards" in multiple buckets (wash and rinse)...
High high quality microfiber wash mitts that are not used on the wheels too.
Washing/drying the car in straight lines (NOT circles)... I move as the air flows over the car (This will keep you from having swirls).
on and on....

Welcome to the family!
Iceman_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I'd do Xpel or Suntek. You don't hear about too many people using 3m anymore
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:51 AM   #5
Litespeed1000

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Umbra in Schaumburg Illinois installed my clear bra, window tint and windshield protection on my 2018 ZL1 and did an awesome job. Umbra gave me the option between Xpel, Suntek and Llumar clear bra. I went with Suntek, Llumar Stratos window tint and Clearplex film over the windshield.

Clear bra installed on entire hood, front bumper, fenders, pillars, in front of sunroof, down the lower sides of the car including the lower side skirts. All the edges that can be wrapped are.

I did did the paint correction myself prior to taking to Umbra, but believe they work with a high end detail shop next door.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...532580%2F&_rdr
Attached Images

Last edited by Litespeed1000; 05-18-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Litespeed1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
ZL14ME

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_MD View Post
Welcome...

As someone who owns a black corvette, I will tell you that you have to be careful with polishing and who works on it... Maybe I'm just too anal, but I wouldn't trust anyone but myself to do anything to that paint unless they have a track record of working on super cars. Remember, no one will take care of that car like you will, my friend.

There are a ton of youtube videos giving good advice about how to care for a show car... Here are some brief tips:

Washing the car with "grit guards" in multiple buckets (wash and rinse)...
High high quality microfiber wash mitts that are not used on the wheels too.
Washing/drying the car in straight lines (NOT circles)... I move as the air flows over the car (This will keep you from having swirls).

on and on....

Welcome to the family!
+1

As an owner of your exact car, I would encourage you to educate yourself in the paint correction process and then invest in the proper tools/products. I think you’ll be surprised how easy it is to accomplish. My car had been run through an automatic car wash and was loaded with swirls. A few days, a flex DA orbital polisher and some Menzerna polishes were my weapons of choice. It came out looking like black glass. Then I did a ceramic coating. The difference for me was a professional would have no doubt done the job in a fraction of the time I spent.

Good luck and congrats on the beautiful ride! If you want any specifics on how I paint corrected my car send me a message.
ZL14ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
STAY IN IT

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, M6
Congrats on the new ride. My old stompin’ grounds! Grew up in Rockton and graduated from Hononegah high school.
STAY IN IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Hot454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL14ME View Post
+1

As an owner of your exact car, I would encourage you to educate yourself in the paint correction process and then invest in the proper tools/products. I think you’ll be surprised how easy it is to accomplish. My car had been run through an automatic car wash and was loaded with swirls. A few days, a flex DA orbital polisher and some Menzerna polishes were my weapons of choice. It came out looking like black glass. Then I did a ceramic coating. The difference for me was a professional would have no doubt done the job in a fraction of the time I spent.

Good luck and congrats on the beautiful ride! If you want any specifics on how I paint corrected my car send me a message.
Thank you for the info, any additional help would be great. I'm not sure I am replying to your message the right way...
Old 05-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
ZL14ME

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot454 View Post
Thank you for the info, any additional help would be great. I'm not sure I am replying to your message the right way...
I'll send you a private message.
ZL14ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
Hot454

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree that I need some practice with the clutch and launching. My last manual was a POS Cavalier 20 some years back. My 1st car was a 74 Z/28 with a 4 speed. I will definitely contact Umbra to get some protection. My 97 Z/28 was my baby for 21 years and had the rock chips and scratches to prove it...

Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Sounds like you plan to keep it a while.

Recommendations:

1. Since it's black, consider dropping the extra coin for full-car self-healing film (Xpel Ultimate, Suntek Ultra) ... to keep the swirls (and your swirl anxiety) down.

2. Put a good durable hydrophobic coating like Gtechniq EXO on top of the film.

3. Do Ceramic+Hydrophobic on the wheels.

4. Change the brake pads to Powerstop Z26 1835/1053 to reduce dust if you don't plan on tracking the car.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote