Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
SS 1LE/ZL1 MRC strut mod to achieve more negative camber up front

Ok guys, I’ve passed along this DIY instructions to a few guys on the 1LE forum, but I thought it might be helpful to put this DIY out there for everyone.

After burning through my front OE Goodyears in my SS 1LE the first weekend I took it to the track (with front camber maxed out), I decided to look at how I might achieve more negative camber up front. I know there is some variability between cars, but my car maxed out around -2.2-2.3 front camber. After this mod, I’m at -2.9- 3.0 up front (tire wear perfectly even on track now).

This mod to the front struts if very straightforward, and should only take about 30-45 minutes. I have a good friend with a lift, which made this easier having everything at eye level when standing. The only tools needed are a carbide bit/Dremel and some flat black spray paint. There are 2 parts to this mod: (Obviously first you need to put the car on jack stands with the front wheels removed, and remove both lower strut mount bolts)

1. Mildly elongate the existing camber adjustment range on the upper hole of the lower strut mount. This is how you are able to achieve more negative camber. Do not remove much material, a little goes a long way here. I used the imprint of where the camber bolt had previously been tightened as a template for material to remove. See top photo.

2. Grind down the ridge above the lower strut mount. If you don’t grind down the ridge on the strut, the inner barrel of the wheel will make contact with the strut ridge with the increased negative camber value. You might need to do a test fit or two to make sure at max negative camber the wheel clears the strut ridge. Also, don’t be alarmed if the strut bottoms out at the knuckle at max negative camber, mine did.

I did this mod in April of 2017, have 8k road & track miles/ 25+ days on track. This was the best mod I’ve done to my car, front tires now wear evenly.
Attached Images

Last edited by Provoste; 04-17-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Thanks for posting this!
With maxed out 2.3 neg camber I've been wearing out the front outside edges.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Nice, thanks.

Guys, you should be able to estimate how much to grind from the center to center distance between the upper and lower holes and using a little trig. They're pretty close together, so a little (like maybe 1.0 mm) really does go a long way (maybe a whole degree).

I did a very similar modification on a Mazda 626 that I used to autocross.

Norm
Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I wonder how much is parts variation vs. alignment rack variation vs. combo. I showed -2.76 / -2.78 up front without elongating the holes. My front wear on both G3's and G3R's show I need more. Rear wear at -1.80 has been very even on both tire types as long as I rotate side-to-side frequently.

I have camber plates laying on the shelf but haven't had the time to install and realign. Thought about doing the old elongating trick before to see if I could get another degree negative out of my fronts. Will post if I do.

For the stock ZL1 1LE front wheels on my SS, I had to profile grind like you show. Will have to probably take additional material off if I elongate the struts. I did grind enough to get ~4-5mm clearance without having to use a spacer.

Provoste: Appreciate you showing the folks, too.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I'm doing this mod this weekend. What I noticed was the top of the knuckle contacts the strut with almost nothing removed from the elongated holes.

I'm shaving a tiny amount of material from the back of the knuckle just above the threaded adjustment hole (where it contacts the strut restricting the camber).

Don't worry. I'm test fitting as I go to ensure the wheel won't rub.

I was at -2.2 before. I'll report back once I get the car realigned. I'm thinking anything -3.0 or better will make it worthwhile.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I'm doing this mod this weekend. What I noticed was the top of the knuckle contacts the strut with almost nothing removed from the elongated holes.

I'm shaving a tiny amount of material from the back of the knuckle just above the threaded adjustment hole (where it contacts the strut restricting the camber).

Don't worry. I'm test fitting as I go to ensure the wheel won't rub.

I was at -2.2 before. I'll report back once I get the car realigned. I'm thinking anything -3.0 or better will make it worthwhile.
No need to remove knuckle material. Yes, the strut will bottom out at the knuckle, but that’s fine. I didn’t touch my knuckle... -2.9-camber currently, tire wear is great at -2.9.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
No need to remove knuckle material. Yes, the strut will bottom out at the knuckle, but that’s fine. I didn’t touch my knuckle... -2.9-camber currently, tire wear is great at -2.9.
I'm not sure what the tolerances are on the knuckles, but I don't think that I could have gained anything without removing a little material from the back of the knuckle. My knuckle was basically touching the strut before I started. Maybe there are slight differences which might help to explain why different people get different max camber values in the stock configuration.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 07-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
travislambert

I thought I'd add some more pictures to the thread.

Before modification:
Name:  IMG_20180728_145821.before.jpg
Views: 4446
Size:  164.9 KB

Here's one of the test fits. Be sure to leave enough room for wheel weights to clear. I removed a little more material from the strut after this test.
Name:  IMG_20180729_143056.test.jpg
Views: 4528
Size:  418.9 KB

After the modification:
Name:  IMG_20180729_134121.ground.jpg
Views: 4424
Size:  218.2 KB
Name:  IMG_20180729_123220.slot.jpg
Views: 4450
Size:  514.2 KB

After first coat of paint:
Name:  IMG_20180729_154902.paint.jpg
Views: 4396
Size:  269.6 KB

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 07-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
travislambert

Provoste, thanks for taking the time to do this write-up. I found it very helpful.

I have an appointment for an alignment on Thursday. I'm switching to R7s so I'd like to get at least -3.0 up front. I'll report back with my results.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 07-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
Provoste

Quote:
Provoste, thanks for taking the time to do this write-up. I found it very helpful.

I have an appointment for an alignment on Thursday. I'm switching to R7s so I'd like to get at least -3.0 up front. I'll report back with my results.
Awesome! Glad you found it helpful, please post alignment #’s when you have them. Very clean job too- looks completely factory!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #11
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
I thought I'd add some more pictures to the thread.

Before modification:
Attachment 949442

Here's one of the test fits. Be sure to leave enough room for wheel weights to clear. I removed a little more material from the strut after this test.
Attachment 949443

After the modification:
Attachment 949445
Attachment 949446

After first coat of paint:
Attachment 949444
Very nice, did you use a standard carbide bit with a dremel or something different?
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Very nice, did you use a standard carbide bit with a dremel or something different?
I used a Dremel with the 9901 tungsten carbide cutter. I used two bits although one would have done the job.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UDJJ

To clean it up, I used the Dremel EZ407SA with a 60 grit band followed by a 120 grit band.

For the slots/holes I did all of the cutting with the 60 grit band (no cutter). For consistency I checked periodically using a digital caliper to remove 1.5mm of material from each slot. If you don't plan to remove any material from the back of the knuckle, 1mm is probably plenty.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Awesome! Glad you found it helpful, please post alignment #’s when you have them. Very clean job too- looks completely factory!
Here's my alignment sheet. I'm not sure how accurate it is. The side-to-side caster difference makes me suspect. Maybe someone can help me understand this?

So It looks like I needed to remove a little more material from the left strut knuckle. I did my best to get them even, but that's something that's hard to measure without the proper tools.

Anyway, assuming the numbers are right, it looks like -3.3 of front camber is completely doable via this mod. I'm sure there's more room left in it, but I'll probably never try to go any further than that. If I ever have the need, I'll be looking into camber plates and/or completely different struts.

I drove the car at PittRace yesterday after the alignment and it drove awesome. I was running R7s for the first time and ran a 1:55.26 which is respectable for that track. On street tires, my best time was a mid 1:59.

Name:  2018-08-02 Alignment.jpg
Views: 4375
Size:  106.0 KB

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 08-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Here's my alignment sheet. I'm not sure how accurate it is. The side-to-side caster difference makes me suspect. Maybe someone can help me understand this?

So It looks like I needed to remove a little more material from the left strut knuckle. I did my best to get them even, but that's something that's hard to measure without the proper tools.

Anyway, assuming the numbers are right, it looks like -3.3 of front camber is completely doable via this mod. I'm sure there's more room left in it, but I'll probably never try to go any further than that. If I ever have the need, I'll be looking into camber plates and/or completely different struts.

I drove the car at PittRace yesterday after the alignment and it drove awesome. I was running R7s for the first time and ran a 1:55.26 which is respectable for that track. On street tires, my best time was a mid 1:59.

Attachment 950133
My caster measurements were very similar to yours. about .7 degrees off from each other. (however i have not done the mod).

I have a question on when you are talking about removing material from the knuckle, what exactly are you talking about, i get the slots and the grinding, but am confused as to where the knuckle is you (and others) are referring to? I am attempting to achieve about a -2.9 - 3 with NT01, so should 1mm of material in the slots be good?

Do you recall exactly how much material you removed from the struts? Thanks in advance.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote