Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #85
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Its too bad the ZL1 could not have two engine options. Keep the LT4 and the rest of the pricing scheme and just add the LT5 as an option so those that don't want it can still get great performance with the ZL1. It would also mean they would not have to do a Z/28 model and worry about people saying its not as good as it should be. Or do a Z/28 with the LT5. I guess I'm saying just make the LT5 available in the Camaro. Please!!!!!!!
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #86
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Its too bad the ZL1 could not have two engine options. Keep the LT4 and the rest of the pricing scheme and just add the LT5 as an option so those that don't want it can still get great performance with the ZL1. It would also mean they would not have to do a Z/28 model and worry about people saying its not as good as it should be. Or do a Z/28 with the LT5. I guess I'm saying just make the LT5 available in the Camaro. Please!!!!!!!
why stop there? How about a DOHC Twin Turbo option as well?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #87
v8

I guess because the LT5 is available in the corvette right now so technically, next year they could just add that option. The C7 is on the way out so once that ceases I don't think they will use the LT5 anymore.
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #88
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Those are my thoughts too. They have the engine and trans. $8-10k more and it should sell. We know they’ve thought about it. Easy answer to the Redeye and the GT500.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #89
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Everybody who keeps parroting "LT5! LT5! LT5" has not done their research.

The. Engine. Will. Not. Fit. It is 2.9" taller than the LT4. The hood height of the ZL1 is already near/at the legal limits for an OEM. This would require a complete front end re-design IF it's even possible to massage it into there WITHOUT compromising on overheating/high temps/safe clearance. Furthermore, it would require more than just stabbing the engine in there. Keep in mind the changes made from Z06 to ZR1 to reliably handle the new found HP. Among them are new TB, more heat exchangers/cooling parts, upgraded clutch, trans calibration, port injection, redesigned exhaust, and of course the E99 ECM which would likely mean it will be untunable, at least for now. Amongst those problems and changes, there would have to be a general vehicle re-R&D for the added weight, torque, power, and heat. All of this is doing WAY too much "surgery" on a vehicle that as it sits is holding it's own/annihilating the competition on the road course. GM doesn't do these kinds of mid-cycle "surgeries" often, and certainly not of late, and certainly not on a vehicle that's already such a bang-for-the-buck, world class performing machine.

Those are my thoughts.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #90
v8

Why did you have to say that......... Oh man....... Well we can dream I guess. The LS7 made its way into last gen's Z28. But I know, size was not an issue.

Its just too bad they could not have both engine offerings so the total cost of the car would not go up unless you got that engine.... I for one would pay a 10K premium for that motor.

The current ZL1 has such good cooling that I doubt you would need to change much. The height is the big thing. With that engine who needs tuning anyway.
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500

Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #91
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

The. Engine. Will. Not. Fit. It is 2.9" taller than the LT4. The hood height of the ZL1 is already near/at the legal limits for an OEM. This would require a complete front end re-design IF it's even possible to massage it into there WITHOUT compromising on overheating/high temps/safe clearance. Furthermore, it would require more than just stabbing the engine in there. Keep in mind the changes made from Z06 to ZR1 to reliably handle the new found HP. Among them are new TB, more heat exchangers/cooling parts, upgraded clutch, trans calibration, port injection, redesigned exhaust, and of course the E99 ECM which would likely mean it will be untunable, at least for now. Amongst those problems and changes, there would have to be a general vehicle re-R&D for the added weight, torque, power, and heat. All of this is doing WAY too much "surgery" on a vehicle that as it sits is holding it's own/annihilating the competition on the road course. GM doesn't do these kinds of mid-cycle "surgeries" often, and certainly not of late, and certainly not on a vehicle that's already such a bang-for-the-buck, world class performing machine.

Those are my thoughts.
This engine can fit with a small adjustment to the hood air extractor...GM has already been seen testing this car with CC rotors.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518063

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 01-15-2019 at 09:47 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #92
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
This engine can fit with a small adjustment to the hood air extractor...GM has already been seen testing this car with CC rotors.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518063
Uh...That was a year ago and nothing has come from it. There's no spy info, there's no GM leaked intel, there's nothing at the Detroit Auto Show. There's no proof of what engine was under that hood. Nobody knows what that test mule car actually was.

And if by small adjustment you mean adding ANY height at all, it won't pass.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #93
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Uh...That was a year ago and nothing has come from it. There's no spy info, there's no GM leaked intel, there's nothing at the Detroit Auto Show. There's no proof of what engine was under that hood. Nobody knows what that test mule car actually was.

That's why it's referred to as spy shots and not a press release, just as the mid engine Corvette has not been officially acknowledged but we know it's coming soon due to spy shots.

And if by small adjustment you mean adding ANY height at all, it won't pass.

No added height to the hood it self so no additional crash testing needed, I would assume, but who's to say it hasn't already been factored in like the ZR1 was after the Z06's release.
Follow this post here for some clarification but this is the Eldelbrock version and not the GM version so it may be slightly different.

EDIT: The GM LT5 blower is 2.5 inches taller than the GM LT4 blower.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544558

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 01-15-2019 at 11:22 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #94
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Or they could just do the same thing they did with the ZR1, remove the hood insert all together and make it a part of the engine (SC cover) and just cut the appropriate sized hole in the hood...
Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #95
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:

Those are my thoughts.
All of this non sense applies to the ZR1 as well. And it was done. If Chevy wants to they can build it. A dry sump can always be used to lower the engine. There are no limits on what’s achievable.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #96
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
While I do agree that the engine can fit if GM really wanted it to I will say this about the use of a dry sump system in the Camaro. First, as the chassis is currently set up there is zero room ANYWHERE to fit a properly shaped and sized tank. I've been over every square inch of my SS and there isnt enough room unless you begin moving and redesigning components. Second, while technically the dry sump pan is shorter, that doesn't not mean you can simply lower the engine. Almost every part attached to the engine would have to be redesigned to accommodate this change making the endeavor very costly to both develop and tool for in the plant. Changing the hood is the only real option.

Interestingly enough, over on the Corvette forum Tadge explained what was done to the ZR1 to prepare for the LT5 engine and it wasnt nearly as substantial as many think. On the Corvette, not many key components needed changed at all for what it's worth.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #97
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I agree, if they want to do it they will.

The zr1 is such a much smaller/compact package than the Camaro and they managed to fit the LT5 in it so it’s defiitely possible to do on the Camaro.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #98
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
All of this non sense applies to the ZR1 as well. And it was done. If Chevy wants to they can build it. A dry sump can always be used to lower the engine. There are no limits on what’s achievable.
That is true, but the ZR1 is also about 40K More than a Z06 (Z06 starts at 80.9, ZR1 starts at 123K)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
I agree, if they want to do it they will.

The zr1 is such a much smaller/compact package than the Camaro and they managed to fit the LT5 in it so it’s defiitely possible to do on the Camaro.
Also true but don't forget the Corvette is not only Chevy's halo vehicle but GM's halo vehicle. As much as they say the don't hold Camaro back, the Corvette is still king
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote